What's new

Israeli navy equipping warships with Indo-Israeli Barak-8 missile system

what is our input in it? is it enough to call it indo-israeli... ?
Ok, let's check it out.

> RAFAEL supplies the Barak-8 interceptor missile, which remains vertically launched.

> The battle management, command, control, communication and intelligence center (BMC4I) is produced by the MBT Division of Israel's IAI’s Missiles, Systems, and Space Group; it offers both stand alone operation for a single fire unit, and joint task force coordination (JTC).

> IAI ELTA Systems Ltd. supplies the Land-Based Multi-Function Surveillance, Track & Guidance Radar (LB-MF-STAR), a rotating S-band digital Active Electronic Steering Array (AESA) Radar System that can deliver an accurate, high quality arena situation picture, and extract low radar cross section targets like stealthy cruise missiles, even in the toughest environmental conditions. The naval MF-STAR is expected to be part of Israel’s next-generation missile frigates.

> Indian firms manufacture the dual-pulse rocket motor, associated motor arming/safing mechanisms, and the pneumatic actuation systems.

That should answer your question! :smart:

Ok, let's check it out.

> RAFAEL supplies the Barak-8 interceptor missile, which remains vertically launched.

> The battle management, command, control, communication and intelligence center (BMC4I) is produced by the MBT Division of Israel's IAI’s Missiles, Systems, and Space Group; it offers both stand alone operation for a single fire unit, and joint task force coordination (JTC).

> IAI ELTA Systems Ltd. supplies the Land-Based Multi-Function Surveillance, Track & Guidance Radar (LB-MF-STAR), a rotating S-band digital Active Electronic Steering Array (AESA) Radar System that can deliver an accurate, high quality arena situation picture, and extract low radar cross section targets like stealthy cruise missiles, even in the toughest environmental conditions. The naval MF-STAR is expected to be part of Israel’s next-generation missile frigates.

> Indian firms manufacture the dual-pulse rocket motor, associated motor arming/safing mechanisms, and the pneumatic actuation systems.

so we just manufactured some stuff... is that our technology or their? In other words were we subcontracted just for manufcturing a piece or we have any technological input in development.

Ok, let's check it out.

I guess you are wrong about the BMS. Its Indian.

The Israeli Navy has Begun outfitting its main Battleships with a new missile system amid Growing threats posed by Syria ’s alleged Stockpile of advanced Anti-Ship missiles, the Yisrael Hayom Daily reported Sunday.

I think they destroyed by last Latika raid by IAF or IN

The Barak 8, co-developed by India and Israel, is a medium-range surface-to-air missile designed
The Navy’s procurement of the Barak 8, put off for years since the system’s Development was largely completed in 2010, constitutes a Response to the Growing Threat posed by Russia N-produced Yakhont “Ship killing Cruise missiles” said to be in Syria’s Possession, Yisrael Hayom said.

couldn't help to notice one thing. Barak 8 as and when makes its debut on IN ships will see along side Brahmos (derived from Yakhont) in service, something the report claims Barak 8 is designed to counter. For some this could be a paradox, for IN this is a mighty reason to be pleased.
and they said Israel and Russia are only milking India in the nmae of joint ventures. :P

The missile has a maximum speed of Mach 2 and a maximum operational range of 70 km. The system’s radar enables operators to simultaneously engage multiple targets, and intercept an incoming enemy missile as close as 500 meters from a naval craft.

The Navy’s procurement of the Barak 8, put off for years since the system’s Development was largely completed in 2010, constitutes a Response to the Growing Threat posed by Russia N-produced Yakhont “Ship killing Cruise missiles” said to be in Syria’s Possession, Yisrael Hayom said.

i wonder how could Mach 2 SAM intercept an Mach 2.5 supersonic cruise missile .

@gambit any idea ???

1) may be accurate earliear estimation of supersonic missile trajectory

2) May be powerful explosive warhead having large blast radius

3) May be high manuveurabilty of SAM

Last edited by a moderator:
couldn't help to notice one thing. Barak 8 as and when makes its debut on IN ships will see along side Brahmos (derived from Yakhont) in service, something the report claims Barak 8 is designed to counter. For some this could be a paradox, for IN this is a mighty reason to be pleased.
and they said Israel and Russia are only milking India in the nmae of joint ventures. :P

HeHeHe; now that is quite a thought, is'nt it?

@ OP

You need to link back to your source in your first post.

i wonder how could Mach 2 SAM intercept an Mach 2.5 supersonic cruise missile .

@gambit any idea ???

1) may be accurate earliear estimation of supersonic missile trajectory

2) May be powerful explosive warhead having large blast radius

3) May be high manuveurabilty of SAM
If the interceptor is of inferior max speed, then the tactical deployment should be of a head on intercept, which is a severe limitation. That is why the interceptor should have 3x the estimated max speed of a potential target as to have maximum flexibility in terms of defense deployment, either head on or tail chase.

If the interceptor is of inferior max speed, then the tactical deployment should be of a head on intercept, which is a severe limitation. That is why the interceptor should have 3x the estimated max speed of a potential target as to have maximum flexibility in terms of defense deployment, either head on or tail chase.

Exactly !!!
becoz head on interception success rate depends upon accurate localization & prediction of missile trajectory meanwhile
for Eg Yakhont /brahmos
at terminal stage produce violent steep dive manuveurs to confuse the enemy SAM or point defence .

Chances of hitting is very skeptical

BTW
related to
BARAK 8 i had confirmed from an isreali defence professional of other indian forum that Barak 8 had confirmed a missile interception against Brahmos missile.???

may be isreali have something good in missile seeker quality i think:coffee:

that means Barak 8 has passed in trial???last time I checked,it failed to hit the target..any news on new trial???any input on that???

Personally i'm a bit skeptical that the Israeli's have fitted the Barak 8 missile's on the Sa'ar 5 class corvettes. Those ships are small about 1227 tons full load. That's even smaller than the Type 056 corvettes. The Sa'ar 5 class corvettes are known to be top heavy and the additional weight of the Barak 8 missile's over the Barak 1 is only going to make that matter worse. The Barak 1 is about 2,2m long and the Barak 8 is about 4,5m long, i wonder how the Israeli's are going to retrofit those missile's on the Sa'ar 5 corvettes. Unless they significantly reduce the numbers of missile's that the Sa'ar 5 corvettes carries. Even then they would need to find 2,3m vertical space for the longer Barak 8 missile's.

And a air defense missile with just 70km range and a mach 2 speed is pretty poor. Wouldn't the Kolkata class DDG do better with navalized S-300 missile's ?

Video of Sa'ar 5 class corvette launching a Barak 1 missile. The Sa'ar 5 is said to carry 64 Barak 1 missile's but i only count 16. Where is the rest ?

Personally i'm a bit skeptical that the Israeli's have fitted the Barak 8 missile's on the Sa'ar 5 class corvettes. Those ships are small about 1227 tons full load. That's even smaller than the Type 056 corvettes. The Sa'ar 5 class corvettes are known to be top heavy and the additional weight of the Barak 8 missile's over the Barak 1 is only going to make that matter worse. The Barak 1 is about 2,2m long and the Barak 8 is about 4,5m long, i wonder how the Israeli's are going to retrofit those missile's on the Sa'ar 5 corvettes. Unless they significantly reduce the numbers of missile's that the Sa'ar 5 corvettes carries. Even then they would need to find 2,3m vertical space for the longer Barak 8 missile's.

And a air defense missile with just 70km range and a mach 2 speed is pretty poor. Wouldn't the Kolkata class DDG do better with navalized S-300 missile's ?

Video of Sa'ar 5 class corvette launching a Barak 1 missile. The Sa'ar 5 is said to carry 64 Barak 1 missile's but i only count 16. Where is the rest ?

buddy the Sa'ar class corvette has 16 Barak-1 missiles in ready to fire mode and the rest are more likely to be stored in the hull area.once the first 16 missiles are fired then a 2nd batch of 16 missiles will be loaded either automatically or manually.this is the norm for every warship(corvette,frigate,destroyers) around the world.

Back
Top Bottom