What's new

Israeli ambassador heckled at UCI

Jungibaaz

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I'm surprised this hasn't been viewed or talked about much by people despite having been around for a few weeks.

Here at UCI the ambassador was trying to speak, the crowd repeatedly interrupted him, one by one being thrown out of the venue. It took a lot of guts I must say. Though it really was surprising to see that faculty member at 5:20.

I couldn't find the exact non-youtube link, but here's a rough cut on daily motion.

As much as I'm against Israel for their mistreatment of Palestinians; I can't say I could support such behavior. The Israeli Ambassador was there, after all, as a guest.

There should be better ways to register one's protest than to descend to the level of almost harassing a guest.

Should kick them out of the university.

How the **** did these apes even get into the university??? America is turning into Europe by going soft with those braindead zombie apes. :(:(:(:(

Last edited:
As much as I'm against Israel for their mistreatment of Palestinians; I can't say I could support such behavior. The Israeli Ambassador was there, after all, as a guest.

There should be better ways to register one's protest than to descend to the level of almost harassing a guest.

The behaviour is certainly not good. But they're students this what they do, you wouldn't believe the kind of student protests I've seen here. I think if they wanted to protest, they should have done it outside the venue,it's a good cause in any case.

Should kick them out of the university.

How the **** did these apes even get into the university??? America is turning into Europe by going soft with those braindead zombie apes. :(:(:(:(

Why should they kick them out? They pay how many tens of thousands of dollars, work hard and kicked out for heckling a speaker?

And on the last statement, what kind of rubbish is that? They can protest and express their freedom of speech, in fact it was pretty ballsy of them to do so even if it was rather rude and uncalled for.

What did surprise me though was that guy telling them he'd fail them for their outbursts.

This sort of thing is common in lots of universities, in fact I can tell you that if in a few years George Osborne for example came to one of the more left wing universities to speak, he'd be heckled at worst, and at the very least he'd be confronted and heckled during any Q&A he might be foolish enough to do. And that's his field he'd meet some strong disapproval, let alone Middle East issues.

It was a while ago but still nice to see. There are alot more videos like these.

The behaviour is certainly not good. But they're students this what they do, you wouldn't believe the kind of student protests I've seen here. I think if they wanted to protest, they should have done it outside the venue,it's a good cause in any case.

Why should they kick them out? They pay how many tens of thousands of dollars, work hard and kicked out for heckling a speaker?

And on the last statement, what kind of rubbish is that? They can protest and express their freedom of speech, in fact it was pretty ballsy of them to do so even if it was rather rude and uncalled for.

What did surprise me though was that guy telling them he'd fail them for their outbursts.

This sort of thing is common in lots of universities, in fact I can tell you that if in a few years George Osborne for example came to one of the more left wing universities to speak, he'd be heckled at worst, and at the very least he'd be confronted and heckled during any Q&A he might be foolish enough to do. And that's his field he'd meet some strong disapproval, let alone Middle East issues.
You enrol in a university to learn and take advantage of the opportunities it provides not to behave like 3000BC century apes and disgrace the reputation of the university. Can't say such behaviour is common in reputable universities. Regardless of where such practices are prevalent it's absolutely wrong. In this video, many of those who were involved are brown and muslims who don't even have the capability to dress according to the occasion and this is purely motivated by religion. They carry on their hatred based on religion, generation after generation.

I remember a scene from the movie Jinnah. When the Quaid was told that Mountbatten had just ordered the army into Kashmir, the Quaid reacted indignantly at that development. Liaquat Ali Khan then said that he'd snub Mountbatten who's due to visit Pakistan on a State Visit but the Quaid disapproved of it and responded that Mountbatten is our guest !

I agree with such sentiments; it is unbecoming for anyone to insult a guest like that.

And so as much as I dislike the Israeli policies with respect to Palestinians which is an insult to the very memory of the brave souls who died at places like Aushwitz, I don't think that verbally harassing a guest is anything close to a dignified manner of registering protest.

But then again its not as if they're the only exception who did that; many people have responded in less than dignified ways to many other issues many times over.

I agree! I have many issues with the Israeli Government.

None the less, college is supposed to be about diversity of thought, opinions and debate. It's not meant to be one giant echo chamber. if someone I didn't like/agree with spoke at my University, I would give them the courtesy of at least hearing them out and be civil about it.

One should not harass an invited speaker guest to a University, no matter who they are.

You enrol in a university to learn and take advantage of the opportunities it provides not to behave like 3000BC century apes and disgrace the reputation of the university. Can't say such behaviour is common in reputable universities. Regardless of where such practices are prevalent it's absolutely wrong. In this video, many of those who were involved are brown and muslims and this is purely motivated by religion. They carry on their hatred based on religion, generation after generation.

University is a lot more than that. It's not just a school, besides, you don't go there as if someone does you the great honour of having you there, you work your butt off and pay butt-loads of money and then you might get in. You as member are given things like a union, which chairs many official university positions and union representation for most universities is strong for that very reason. If students dislike something on their campus, in the name of their university, on the budget which they pay for, they have ALL the right and more to protest.

However, I can agree that this specific behaviour of heckling inside the venue is not right.

But, that does not warrant the university to kick them out. That's too far. And it is certainly not within the interests of anyone. In fact, I can bet you that the guy in the video who said he'd fail the kids won't have the balls to do any such thing. Let alone somehow kick them out.

Also, lastly, on your point about 'purely motivated by religion'. Open your eyes man, come on.
Do you really still believe that the only interest Muslims have about this issue is solely based on their religion, that is ABSURD! You know who I see handing out flyers for Palestine society at some local universities? People of all backgrounds, White British, European, International Students, Muslims, non-Muslims, Athiests... granted, most are indeed Muslim.

I agree! I have many issues with the Israeli Government.

None the less, college is supposed to be about diversity of thought, opinions and debate. It's not meant to be one giant echo chamber. if someone I didn't like/agree with spoke at my University, I would give them the courtesy of at least hearing them out and be civil about it.

One should not harass an invited speaker guest to a University, no matter who they are.

Oh you're just saying that because we all know that Lois is an Israeli model ! :whistle:

I remember a scene from the movie Jinnah. When the Quaid was told that Mountbatten had just ordered the army into Kashmir, the Quaid reacted indignantly at that development. Liaquat Ali Khan then said that he'd snub Mountbatten who's due to visit Pakistan on a State Visit but the Quaid disapproved of it and responded that Mountbatten is our guest !

I agree with such sentiments; it is unbecoming for anyone to insult a guest like that.

And so as much as I dislike the Israeli policies with respect to Palestinians which is an insult to the very memory of the brave souls who died at places like Aushwitz, I don't think that verbally harassing a guest is anything close to a dignified manner of registering protest.

But then again its not as if they're the only exception who did that; many people have responded in less than dignified ways to many other issues many times over.

Well said, it was poorly handled by the students, but I don't think any disciplinary action should be had. Perhaps approach those who organised the protest, society leaders or whatever and talk them straight.

However, I can agree that this specific behaviour of heckling inside the venue is not right.

This and then some. If you don't want to hear the speaker speak, don't show up in the first place. Unfortunately, for US college kids heckling someone you don't like is rather common, though it's always punished too:

Only a complete douche does this, but it isn't an uncommon behavior, at least one at any speaking event:(.

Can't say I've ever done this, or heckled a heckler, live and let live, I'll sit in respect and listen. After all, that's the reason I went to the event in the first place.

Well said, it was poorly handled by the students, but I don't think any disciplinary action should be had. Perhaps approach those who organised the protest, society leaders or whatever and talk them straight.

Well judging by the response of one of the faculty members the students may have been subjected to disproportionately severe punishment maybe not - Who knows ?

This and then some. If you don't want to hear the speaker speak, don't show up in the first place. Unfortunately, for US college kids heckling someone you don't like is rather common, though it's always punished too:

Only a complete douche does this, but it isn't an uncommon behavior, at least one at any speaking event:(.

Can't say I've ever done this, or heckled a heckler, live and let live, I'll sit in respect and listen. After all, that's the reason I went to the event in the first place.

I specifically remember seeing the David Petraeus video not to long ago. What a bunch of douchebags! Sadly, a lot of Americans in that age range are spoiled self-entitled brats. Not all of course, but definitely a lot.

Almost embarrassed to be a part of that generation when I see videos like this

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom