What's new

Israeli ambassador heckled at UCI

This and then some. If you don't want to hear the speaker speak, don't show up in the first place. Unfortunately, for US college kids heckling someone you don't like is rather common, though it's always punished too:

Only a complete douche does this, but it isn't an uncommon behavior, at least one at any speaking event:(.

Can't say I've ever done this, or heckled a heckler, live and let live, I'll sit in respect and listen. After all, that's the reason I went to the event in the first place.

Oh come on as if we all don't know that you've got a thing for Netanyahu ! :tongue:

Thats the only reason why you support Israel ! :mad:

Not the women, not the tanks....just your Benjy ! :(

This and then some. If you don't want to hear the speaker speak, don't show up in the first place. Unfortunately, for US college kids heckling someone you don't like is rather common, though it's always punished too:

Only a complete douche does this, but it isn't an uncommon behavior, at least one at any speaking event:(.

I've witnessed stuff like this too.

This is the typical student behaviour. This is kind of what happens when you get young, like-minded and strong willed individuals to talk about issues they really seem to care about. Though heckling isn't that bad compared to some I've witnessed here.

Particularly, a local uni, won't name which one, back in 2012 I think it was, the government raised tuition fee limit by x3. Many university facilities and operations were being privatized. Some students decided to protest, so they did that. Some took it too far and a few got kicked out of uni. BUT, this backfired badly on the university, the students went from mildly annoyed to down right angry.

Others decided to vandalise stuff, so they spray painted all sorts of nonsense in the pathway leading to a station, on a new residential development sight. Other still decided to occupy the top of one the buildings on campus with megaphones and signs. Royally disturbing the peace and giving the uni staff a real headache.

Oh come on as if we all don't know that you've got a thing for Netanyahu ! :tongue:

Thats the only reason why you support Israel ! :mad:

Actually, you'll find an even split in the US when talking about support for Israel. Plenty who do, plenty who don't. Do I support Israel? On PDF, where it's a hot topic, I'd rather not say. I may or may not support Israel and its right to an independent nation - the Palestinians too. But one thing is for sure; I REALLY DON'T LIKE NETANYAHU!!!!!!! Any Israeli leader except him please! He's been a nightmare for the US-Israeli relationship.

He doesn't want us to form a deal with Iran? F*** that!!! The nuclear deal is good for the US, good for Iran and if it isn't good for Israel, oh f***ing well!!!

University is a lot more than that. It's not just a school, besides, you don't go there as if someone does you the great honour of having you there, you work your butt off and pay butt-loads of money and then you might get in. You as member are given things like a union, which chairs many official university positions and union representation for most universities is strong for that very reason. If students dislike something on their campus, in the name of their university, on the budget which they pay for, they have ALL the right and more to protest.

However, I can agree that this specific behaviour of heckling inside the venue is not right.

But, that does not warrant the university to kick them out. That's too far. And it is certainly not within the interests of anyone. In fact, I can bet you that the guy in the video who said he'd fail the kids won't have the balls to do any such thing. Let alone somehow kick them out.

Also, lastly, on your point about 'purely motivated by religion'. Open your eyes man, come on.
Do you really still believe that the only interest Muslims have about this issue is solely based on their religion, that is ABSURD! You know who I see handing out flyers for Palestine society at some local universities? People of all backgrounds, White British, European, International Students, Muslims, non-Muslims, Athiests... granted, most are indeed Muslim.
If you go to a reputable university then yes you should feel privileged because there is only a slim chance of getting into one out of many other applicants and it's not even a matter of money when it comes to good universities as they are already wealthy and they are not willing to sacrifice their reputation for money. If you work your butt off to pay loans then you should understand the value of education and take the maximum benefit rather than being a spitting on the face of university.

You gotta be kidding! Of course Israeli-Palestenian has everything to do with religion and almost every Muslim support Palestine for none other than religious reasons as they see it as Israel invading their holy land. If that piece of land has nothing whatsoever to do with Islam and if majority of Palestinians are not Muslims, how many of those do you think would care about Palestinians? For instance, there are many more conflicts happening in the world that are a ttrillion times worse than what goes on in Israel and Palestine. If anyone's genuinely interested in human rights, as my common sense suggests they should rather talk about what requires their immediate assistance than Palestinian conflict which is none other than a trademark for so-called activists. Except for Muslims, it's just a minority of liberals or self-declared activists who are involved in supporting Palestine, vast majority of people doesn't care and if the day comes for the non-Muslim Palestine supporters to choose one out of Israel and Palestine to live, they would most definitely choose Israel.

Well judging by the response of one of the faculty members the students may have been subjected to disproportionately severe punishment maybe not - Who knows ?

I doubt it. No matter what the circumstances, unless drastic, the universities tend not to discipline students like that, they might do, but only at their own peril. You can trust me on that, I know this much is true for UK universities at least.

Actually, you'll find an even split in the US when talking about support for Israel. Plenty who do, plenty who don't. Do I support Israel? On PDF, where it's a hot topic, I'd rather not say. I may or may not support Israel and its right to an independent nation - the Palestinians too, but one thing is for sure. I REALLY DON'T LIKE NETANYAHU!!!!!!! Any Israeli leader except him please!

He doesn't want us to form a deal with Iran? F*** that, the nuclear deal is good for the US, good for Iran and if it isn't good for Israel, oh f***ing well!!!

You should've taken my post with a pinch of humor ! :coffee:

I don't post serious stuff...unless the post is without emoticons of any kind ! :argh:

If you go to a reputable university then yes you should feel privileged because there is only a slim chance of getting into one out of many other applicants and it's not even a matter of money when it comes to good universities as they are already wealthy and they are not willing to sacrifice their reputation for money. If you work your butt off to pay loans then you should understand the value of education and take the maximum benefit rather than being a spitting on the face of university.

You're missing the point, university is not the boy scouts. You're paying for services, services that serve the primary function of education and accreditation. Then depending on the university, the whole package can be very different. The point is, the university belongs to the student as much as it does to anyone. Which is what you seem to be missing from my earlier post.

That's why you pay your way in, that's why you vote for leaders, that's you have union representation, and that is also why unions often have mixed representation from within different societies and sub sections.

If students want to protest, they can, in fact, they should. I'd be more worried if a university was full of sheep never inconvenienced by anything and never willing to raise some issues. I'd be equally worried if they took it too far.

But it is their right to protest.

You gotta be kidding! Of course Israeli-Palestenian has everything to do with religion and almost every Muslim support Palestine for none other than religious reasons as they see it as Israel invading their holy land. If that piece of land has nothing whatsoever to do with Islam and if majority of Palestinians are not Muslims, how many of those do you think would care about Palestinians? For instance, there are many more conflicts happening in the world that are a ttrillion times worse than what goes on in Israel and Palestine. If anyone's genuinely interested in human rights, as my common sense suggests they should rather talk about what requires their immediate assistance than Palestinian conflict which is none other than a trademark for so-called activists. Except for Muslims, it's just a minority of liberals or self-declared activists who are involved in supporting Palestine, vast majority of people doesn't care and if the day comes for the non-Muslim Palestine supporters to choose one out of Israel and Palestine to live, they would most definitely choose Israel.

You don't get it. Honestly, if I were you, I'd do some serious reading in to the Israel Palestine conflict, and if you can go before 1948, go outside of the immediate region and also study the 80's in depth.

The primary motivating cause for hatred of Israel is NOT religion. That is ABSURD!
The conflict and all it's horrible details is what causes the hatred. So many Muslims including me, take great care to distinguish these few terms and categories:

Critical of Israeli policy, anti-Israeli policy, anti-Israel, anti-Zionist, anti-semite, pro-Palestinian, pro-Hamas etc.
Some of these can be mutually exclusive, and they can be so irrespective of religion.

You do not need to be a Muslim to be pissed off by watching recent footage of the bombing of Gaza. Equally, you don't need to be non-Muslim or Jewish, to recognize Israel as a legitimate state or at the very least a state that will be around and something one must accept.

You're making the great mistake everyone makes of blurring the lines between different categories. I've always said that the issue is not as complicated as some make it out to be in terms of it's technicalities. YET it is so easily oversimplified by people only getting exposure to one side of the argument or not having the basic understanding of situation. It's a paradoxical concept.

Do not make this mistake, it is very easy to fall for this sort of argument, and exceedingly easy to unravel this complicated looking yet simple conflict.

Actually, you'll find an even split in the US when talking about support for Israel. Plenty who do, plenty who don't. Do I support Israel? On PDF, where it's a hot topic, I'd rather not say. I may or may not support Israel and its right to an independent nation - the Palestinians too. But one thing is for sure; I REALLY DON'T LIKE NETANYAHU!!!!!!! Any Israeli leader except him please! He's been a nightmare for the US-Israeli relationship.

He doesn't want us to form a deal with Iran? F*** that!!! The nuclear deal is good for the US, good for Iran and if it isn't good for Israel, oh f***ing well!!!

If I had to say where I'd stand. My philosophy is simple. It is too damn hard and damn near impossible to accomplish a resolution based on history, lands stolen, lands given or taken, crimes committed and scores that need settling, the past needs to be sidelined to a very large degree if progress is to be made.

This is something neither the Palestinians or the Israelis seem willing to do. It's all just; 'They stole our land, they shouldn't exist.', 'We got this land fair and square and they attacked us for no good reason and they have always hated us.'.

This act needs to be dropped.

I am personally for the existence of the state of Israel, within agreed upon borders or those drawn out by the UN. Then concessions need to be made, Israelis drop settlements, Palestinians recognize new borders and recognize Israel itself, Israelis demilitarize, Palestinians reciprocate and Hamas does so too. Israelis put an end to the blockade, Palestinians stop looking for arms to import for offensive use. Concessions.

Though I must say, Israel is the more powerful in this situation and holds the key to resolution firmly in it's own hands, which Israelis don't seem to want to recognize, someone should start, the other should follow. And you might not like hearing this from me, but the US should be kept far, far, far away from brokering this peace, I have many good reasons for that too.

Anyway, it's 2:30am here and I'm far too tired for Middle East discussions. Goodnight one and all!

You're missing the point, university is not the boy scouts. You're paying for services, services that serve the primary function of education and accreditation. Then depending on the university, the whole package can be very different. The point is, the university belongs to the student as much as it does to anyone. Which is what you seem to be missing from my earlier post.

That's why you pay your way in, that's why you vote for leaders, that's you have union representation, and that is also why unions often have mixed representation from within different societies and sub sections.

If students want to protest, they can, in fact, they should. I'd be more worried if a university was full of sheep never inconvenienced by anything and never willing to raise some issues. I'd be equally worried if they took it too far.

But it is their right to protest.
Yes you pay but at the same time, you compete with hundreds if not thousands of other applications for the place in the course. I don't know how things are conducted in American universities but in my university no one can get away from being involved in such a thing. Guest speakers are respected not humiliated. It maintains a certain standard where rights of everyone are protected but then again as you said it depends on the standards as some universities value money more than the reputation or skills.

:Let's not get into motives behind supporting Palestine. I am getting the impression that it might turn out to be a never-ending argument.

That is the modern American behavior, being uncivilized.
I am not surprised.

Back
Top Bottom