What's new

Islamic schools in Pakistan plagued by sex abuse of children

Status
Not open for further replies.

samv

Reaction score
Islamic schools in Pakistan plagued by sex abuse of children

800.jpeg

In this picture taken a handcuffed Pakistani cleric who allegedly raped a child, stands outside a court in Kehror Pakka, Pakistan. Sexual abuse in madrassas is widely known to happen in Pakistan, but culture, shame and fear all combine to make the reporting of these incidents by victims rare. (AP Photo/K.M. Chaudary)

KEHRORE PAKKA, Pakistan (AP) — Kausar Parveen struggles through tears as she remembers the blood-soaked pants of her 9-year-old son, raped by a religious cleric. Each time she begins to speak, she stops, swallows hard, wipes her tears and begins again.

The boy had studied for a year at a nearby Islamic school in the town of Kehrore Pakka. In the blistering heat of late April, in the grimy two-room Islamic madrassa, he awoke one night to find his teacher lying beside him.

“I didn’t move. I was afraid,” he says.

The cleric lifted the boy’s long tunic-style shirt over his head, and then pulled down his baggy pants.

“INFESTED” WITH SEXUAL ABUSE

“I was crying. He was hurting me. He shoved my shirt in my mouth,” the boy says, using his scarf to show how the cleric tried to stifle his cries. He looks over at his mother.

“Did he touch you?’” He nods. “Did he hurt you when he touched you?” ″Yes,” he whispers.

“Did he rape you?” He buries his face in his scarf and nods yes.

Parveen reaches over and grabs her son, pulling him toward her, cradling his head in her lap.

Sexual abuse is a pervasive and longstanding problem at madrassas in Pakistan, an AP investigation has found, from the sunbaked mud villages deep in its rural areas to the heart of its teeming cities. But in a culture where clerics are powerful and sexual abuse is a taboo subject, it is seldom discussed or even acknowledged in public.

It is even more seldom prosecuted. Police are often paid off not to pursue justice against clerics, victims’ families say. And cases rarely make it past the courts, because Pakistan’s legal system allows the victim’s family to “forgive” the offender and accept what is often referred to as “blood money.”

The AP found hundreds of cases of sexual abuse by clerics reported in the past decade, and officials suspect there are many more within a far-reaching system that teaches at least 2 million children in Pakistan. The investigation was based on police documents and dozens of interviews with victims, relatives, former and current ministers, aid groups and religious officials.

The fear of clerics and the militant religious organizations that sometimes support them came through clearly. One senior official in a ministry tasked with registering these cases says many madrassas are “infested” with sexual abuse. The official asked to remain anonymous for fear of retribution; he has been a target of suicide attacks because of his hard position against militant groups.

He compares the situation to the abuse of children by priests in the Catholic Church.

“There are thousands of incidences of sexual abuse in the madrassas,” he says. “This thing is very common, that this is happening.”

Pakistan’s clerics close ranks when the madrassa system is too closely scrutinized, he says. Among the weapons they use to frighten their critics is a controversial blasphemy law that carries a death penalty in the case of a conviction.

“This is not a small thing here in Pakistan — I am scared of them and what they can do,” the official says. “I am not sure what it will take to expose the extent of it. It’s very dangerous to even try.”

His assessment was echoed by another senior official, a former minister who says sexual abuse in madrassas happens all the time. He also doesn’t want his name used because he too has survived suicide bombings due to his stance on militants.

“That’s a very dangerous topic,” he says.

A tally of cases reported in newspapers over the past 10 years of sexual abuse by maulvis or clerics and other religious officials came to 359. That represents “barely the tip of the iceberg,” says Munizae Bano, executive director of Sahil, the organization that scours the newspapers and works against sexual abuse of minors.

In 2004, a Pakistani official disclosed more than 500 complaints of sexual assaults against young boys in madrassas. He has since refused to talk, and there have been no significant arrests or prosecutions.

Religious Affairs Minister Sardar Muhammad Yousaf dismisses the suggestion that sexual abuse is widespread, saying such talk is an attempt to malign the religion, seminaries and clerics. He says he was not aware of even the cases reported in the newspapers, but that it could occur occasionally ’because there are criminals everywhere.” Yousaf says the reform and control of madrassas is the job of the interior ministry.

The Interior Ministry, which oversees madrassas, refused repeated written and telephone requests for an interview.

The case of Parveen’s son was one of at least three within a month in the towns of Kehrore Pakka and Rajanpur in Punjab province’s deep south, according to police reports. Another incident involved the drugging and gang rape of a 12-year-old boy asleep on his madrassa rooftop by former students. And the third was of a 10-year-old boy sodomized by the madrassa principal when he brought him his meal. The cleric threatened to kill the boy if he told.

The AP is not naming the children because they are victims of sexual abuse.

The fear of clerics was evident at the courthouse in Kehrore Pakka, where the former teacher of Parveen’s son waited his turn to go before a judge. A half dozen members of the radical Sunni militant organization Sipah-e-Sahabah were there to support the teacher.

They scowled and moved closer when an AP reporter sat next to the teacher, who was shackled to a half dozen other prisoners. The whispers grew louder and more insistent.

“It’s too dangerous here,” said one person, looking over at the militants nearby. “Leave. Leave the courthouse, they can do anything here.”

The teacher had already confessed, according to police, and the police report said he was found with the boy. Yet he swore his innocence in court.

“I am married,” he said. “My wife is pretty, why would I do this to a kid?”

POLICE HELP THE MULLAH

The fear that surrounds sexual abuse by clerics means that justice is rare. The payoff from offending mullahs to police means that they often refuse to even register a case, says Azam Hussain, a union councilor in Kehrore Pakka. And the families involved are often poor and powerless.

“Poor people are afraid, so they don’t say anything,” Hussain says. “Police help the mullah. Police don’t help the poor. ... Poor people know this, so they don’t even go to the police.”

This is particularly true in Punjab, Pakistan’s largest province, where more than 60 percent of its 200 million people live. Even Pakistan’s own Punjab provincial anti-corruption department in a 2014 report listed the Punjab police as the province’s most corrupt department. Police say they investigate when a complaint is made, but they have no authority to take a case forward when the family accepts money, which often happens.

The family of a boy who says he was repeatedly assaulted sexually by a cleric in a Punjab madrassa talks about their tussle with police.

The boy isn’t sure of his age. Maybe 10 or 11, he says. His voice is barely a whisper, his head bent low as he talked. He is surrounded by two dozen villagers and relatives, all men, all angry.

He says the cleric threatened him with death if he told anyone.

“I was ashamed and I was scared,” he says. “He told me if I told anyone, my brother, my family, he would kill all my family and he would kill me.”

He says he begged the cleric to leave him alone. Once, the cleric even swore on the Quran that he would stop, but still returned.

In August, when the boy was home, the thought of returning to his madrassa became too much. He pleaded with his older brother not to send him back. But his brother beat him and told him to go back.

The brother, who would only give his first name as Maqsood, looks anguished. “I didn’t know,” he says. Their elderly uncle, who looks near tears, covers his face and tries not to look in the boy’s direction.

The boy says another student at his seminary was assaulted by the same cleric. But police released the cleric after senior Punjab government officials intervened on his behalf, according to Maqsood.

Demonstrations by villagers forced the cleric’s re-arrest. Still, Maqsood says, when he went to the police, his honesty was questioned.

“The maulvi was sitting in the chair like he was the boss, and I was told to stay standing,” he says. “We are being pressured to compromise. ... We are poor people.”

Local police deny charges that they favored the cleric or intimidated the family. They say they have consulted a local Islamic scholar about the rape allegations, and that the madrassa has not come to their attention previously for any wrongdoing.

“We need witnesses, evidence,” says Sajjad Mohammed Khan, Vehari’s deputy superintendent of police for organized crime.

The top police officer in the district center of Multan, Deputy Inspector General Police Sultan Azam Temuri, also denies that pressure from clerics or powerful politicians prompts police to go easy in such cases. He says cases are investigated when allegations are made. Temuri says his department is trying to tackle child abuse in general with the introduction of gender and child protection services.

The madrassa where Maqsood’s brother went, with more than 250 students, has a reputation in the neighborhood for abuse. Two women with their heads covered hurry past, stopping briefly to warn a young Pakistani woman, “Don’t bring your children to that madrassa. It is very bad what they do to the children there.”

A sign for the madrassa is emblazoned with the flag of a Taliban-affiliated group. After persistent knocking, a blind maulvi, Mohammed Nadeem, led by a young student, agrees to speak. He denies that any abuse takes place inside the madrassa.

FULL STORY --> https://www.apnews.com/ddd9660f63ae4433966684823f79d3e9

Last edited:
Somethings are better left unsaid.

But if the society has to improve then what is Unsaid till now, should be discussed and debated.

Who knows how many are willing to discuss this ?

Few threads are already running on the same topic so mods can kindly merge this into main thread. The issue rampant and not limited to the religious teachings' schools or madrassas. But one thing is clear madrasas are places where there are many factors which contribute to this crime or playing role in creating atmosphere for child abuse. 1. Seclusion 2. The language of the teaching material for few topics.

There are 2 ways we can go:
- Hide the issue and keep it unfixed
- Address the issue and fix it
There are two fixes..
  1. Short term: Don't send your kids to schools with bad reputation. A little digging for info about the school before admitting the kids really pays off
  2. Long term: A true representative of people govt with real mandate of the nation can place regulations and frameworks to end this abuse. For that people need to vote for PTI which is guaranteed now.

Last edited:
Personally I think anyone sexually abusing a child/minor should be punished in public in an extremely cruel way so that it's a message to the rest that when the law catches up with you you will pay the ultimate price but suffer in extreme before that. I would allow the parents of the children to dish out the punishment. Punishment like cut them up badly especially the scrotum area and leave hungry rats to finish them off

Didn't we have a topic on this same guy a few weeks ago?

There are two fixes..
  1. Short term: Don't send your kids to schools with bad reputation. A little digging for info about the school before admitting the kids really pays off
  2. Long term: A true representative of people govt can with true mandate of the nation can place regulations and frameworks to end this abuse. For that people need to vote for PTI which is guaranteed now.

I agree on 1st point.

About 2nd point, there are 2 ways elected govt. can address this issue:
- On provincial level
- On national level

PTI already has provincal govt in KP which is notorious for child abuse. Has it fixed the problem there? If yes then good. If no, then what would PTI do on national level?

PS: I don't have any political affiliation.

I agree on 1st point.

About 2nd point, there are 2 ways elected govt. can address this issue:
- On provincial level
- On national level

PTI already has provincal govt in KP which is notorious for child abuse. Has it fixed the problem there? If yes then good. If no, then what would PTI do on national level?

PS: I don't have any political affiliation.
hohoho hold your horses. Kasoor is situated in PUNJAB not KP. please go search most of the organised Child sexual abuses have been reported from Punjab not KP. We may have some individual acts but not organised. and I also do not have any political affiliation

hohoho hold your horses. Kasoor is situated in PUNJAB not KP. please go search most of the organised Child sexual abuses have been reported from Punjab not KP. We may have some individual acts but not organised. and I also do not have any political affiliation

Madrassa culture is more common in KP than in Punjab and there ought to be more cases in KP than even entire Pakistan. Though, they might not get reported and/or highlighted in media like it happens in case of Punjab or some big city.

All I am saying is, no matter where it happens, it is a ntional issue and should treated as such. If PTI managed to do something about it on provincial level then surely they would be able to tackle it on national level too. But if they failed in KP then let's just not hope for any good on national level from them.

Last edited:
Madrassa culture is more common in KP than in Punjab and there ought to be more cases in KP than even entire Pakistan. Though, they might not get reported and/or highlighted in media like it happens in case of Punjab or some big city.
lolzzz lame excuses by you. please look within. Media in KP is more vibrant than your entire Punjab. So when you have statistics about KP then come and point fingers. For the time being please deal with Child sexual abuse in Kasoor

Pure govt failure to let these so called mulla madrassas spread like cancer. Not every bearded man is a Haji and Islamic scholar, these are m0f0 devil mullas who have started fake madrassas, giving bad name to a peaceful religion of Islam, they should be shot dead by govt agencies. Only proper Islamic schools under strict govt monitoring should be allowed.

lolzzz lame excuses by you. please look within. Media in KP is more vibrant than your entire Punjab. So when you have statistics about KP then come and point fingers. For the time being please deal with Child sexual abuse in Kasoor

Bhai jan, I am from Karachi and media here is much much more vibrant that either of those two provinces :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom