What's new

Islamabad to be turned into model green city

By destroying green fields to make room for big buildings and housing socities. Isb is definitly going to get more greener :angry:. Isb isnt what it used to be 10 years back.

Guys we are living in muscat from last 2 decades i born in pakistan (multan) but never went to pak... Guys can u sugest me whats the best place in pak to come.as first impression is the last imp.BTW love pakistan. Cant wait u replys

Guys we are living in muscat from last 2 decades i born in pakistan (multan) but never went to pak... Guys can u sugest me whats the best place in pak to come.as first impression is the last imp.BTW love pakistan. Cant wait u replys

Its definitely the federal Capital Islamabad.

I was surprised to come across a number of Bangladeshi people working in international agencies in the past, who had their families settled permanently in Islamabad. That was a decade ago. From every such person there was a common reason behind such decision - nice and safe city for family. I almost forgot it after the turmoil that we have witnessed as the Americans moved in Pakistan and Afghanistan in the aftermath of 9/11.

BTW< when were the solar traffic lights installed? Maybe that's why the old ones were uprooted.

There was tender released by CDA.It remained under discussion for some time,due to the allegation/suspicion of corruption.But the project went through.

CDA to convert traffic signals to solar energy

Islamabad, July 19, 2012: The Capital Development Authority (CDA) has launched a project to convert the traffic signal to solar energy and would convert 137 traffic signals to solar energy phase wise to minimize the costly electricity expenses.

Chairman CDA, Engineer Farkhand Iqbal said this on the eve of the inauguration of the first Solar Energy Traffic Signal here at Kashmir Highway on Thursday. On this occasion Member Engineering CDA, Syed Ibrar Hussain Shah, SSP Traffic, Dr. Moeen Masood and other senior official of the authority were also present.

Chairman CDA said that CDA working on an effective strategy to seek out alternative resources due to the energy crisis, adding that CDA has already initiated the project of operating water supply energy efficient pumps of tube-well and now the traffic signals would also be converted to solar energy to minimize the huge expenses of electricity. He said that currently CDA pay Rs.2 million on account of electricity charges for the traffic signals.

He said that the solar energy project would save the electricity, which is sufficient to control the load-shedding in the capital city.

He said that the new era of development has begun and CDA would provide state-of-the-art facilities to the residents of Islamabad. The people would soon enjoy the benefits, said Farkhand Iqbal. He said that CDA is working on different mega projects, which would further be extended to make Islamabad a modern metropolitan.

SSP Traffic, Dr. Moeen Masood said that conversion of traffic signals would decrease the ratio of accidents and would also help control the traffic easily.

n410.jpg

So Serena signal has also been converted along with the tube well.

There was a court proceeding i think regarding corruption in this procurement.

Signals in Islamabad have also been synchronized, at least the ones on major roads.

Next step IMO should be to make Zebra crossings on major signal junctions, to give a better looks of the city.

Iv heard that too, that Islamabad is freakishly neat and clean.

They had an advantage though, Islamabad is a totally new city built after independence for the sole purpose of being the capital! So they laid it out with great planning.

Such is not possible for Delhi - all these are really old cities that cannot be fundamentally changed. India's new cities are also better laid and neat.

This is about rods and neatness only though.

Cleanliness i agree with. They can and should keep Delhi clean, if not at Islamabad's level, then atleast half of it !!

You forgot to mention that it was brain child of a Pakistani Military general who was ethnic Baloch.

Pak army Zinadabad.

If they are planting trees, i don't understand why 'Palm Trees' in Islamabad???? I mean its not native to that area and those are the kind of trees that are put in regions where nothing can grow.

If they are planting trees, i don't understand why 'Palm Trees' in Islamabad???? I mean its not native to that area and those are the kind of trees that are put in regions where nothing can grow.

Agree. Palm trees would look stupid in Islamabad.

Not as a government initiative!
If govt subsidies it then public can be encouraged to mount solar panel over their roof tops that way they can produce their own electricity requirement and watever extra they can sell to govt grid.i read about such a initiative in india may be for ahmedabad or gandhinagar.

So Serena signal has also been converted along with the tube well.

There was a court proceeding i think regarding corruption in this procurement.

One chairman CDA was made to resign & as i said it remained under investigation/discussion for sometime.Those lights were purchased from China at an unfathomable rate.

CDA is sitting on a Gold mine as they say.They must keep themselves busy.

Certain other projects are also mentioned on their website,a link to which i've posted above.

If govt subsidies it then public can be encouraged to mount solar panel over their roof tops that way they can produce their own electricity requirement and watever extra they can sell to govt grid.i read about such a initiative in india may be for ahmedabad or gandhinagar.

These are there.People took the initiative.Not on every home & every building.But certainly you can spot one or two houses with in a street.It has more to do with the affordability.

Its even in Lahore

gulberg-road.jpg

These are the original natives which we keep ignoring:

restricts-canal-road-widening-1324350955.jpg

They are in my city Bahawalpur, but they look fitting since it is a dry environment.

The costs to convert a regular size house is extremely steep at the moment. The installations are more feasible if the house is constructed with solar panels in mind. The other problem is the battery life. Around 30% last their full lifetime of 3-4 years. Its a tricky game and not something every household can gamble on. Especially if your usage is high.

Back
Top Bottom