What's new

ISIS in Southeast Asia

Regarding the events in Jakarta today, I was reminded of this thread from last year. Since this thread was made, SE Asia has seen Jakarta, islamic insurgencies in the Philippines and a temple being blown up in Bangkok.

The saddest thing is all of it is entirely predictable and entirely avoidable. The only way is to have zero tolerance on muslim shenanigans. My country, Myanmar, has been pilloried in the past on here its stance on cracking down on political islam. When we raise the spectre of radicalised militants, we are simply accused of facile racism. Hopefully this is a wake up call for the rest of the region.

Regarding the events in Jakarta today, I was reminded of this thread from last year. Since this thread was made, SE Asia has seen Jakarta, islamic insurgencies in the Philippines and a temple being blown up in Bangkok.

The saddest thing is all of it is entirely predictable and entirely avoidable. The only way is to have zero tolerance on muslim shenanigans. My country, Myanmar, has been pilloried in the past on here its stance on cracking down on political islam. When we raise the spectre of radicalised militants, we are simply accused of facile racism. Hopefully this is a wake up call for the rest of the region.

You have too short a historical perspective. It's a few short decades ago since the Catholics and Buddhists were killing each other in Vietnam. Before that the Dalai Lama and his supporters were being ferried across the border by the Indians to carry out terrorist attacks in Tibet--let's ignore the atrocious mutilations carried out by the holy Tibetan priesthood. Before that Buddhist monks in Japan were giving their support to Kamikazes in Japan. I could go back even further all the way to the Buddhist Ashoka's 'peaceful' invasion of Afghanistan...hell let's not even discuss the wars between the Hindus and Buddhists in the subcontinent.

How do you explain your fellow Burmans invasion of the native Rohingya lands via Yunnan province in China? Was that peaceful too?

I think there is no comparison between Daesh and rohingya refugees, tho.

selective amnesia?

How so? This was a thread about ISIS in SE Asia from a year ago and a year later it has come to pass.

I think there is no comparison between Daesh and rohingya refugees, tho.

By that logic, there is no comparison between a British schoolkid and ISIS or a US pre-med and ISIS but they are where they recruit from.

Why are people so stupid to believe ISIS ?
That really confuses me .

The thing I've learned from two years of ISIS is that a section of Muslims believe in the caliphate. This goes beyond and economic or educational boundaries. It's not just the poor or stupid who support ISIS. For those who would rather not live under a caliphate, it means to be extra vigilant.

How so? This was a thread about ISIS in SE Asia from a year ago and a year later it has come to pass.

Don't bring your bias political agenda on Daesh discussion. Moreover pinning down Islam as a religion and a way of life in general. Daesh is a terror group, whatever their twisted perception on religion doesn't represent anything about Islam.

Don't bring your bias political agenda on Daesh discussion. Moreover pinning down Islam as a religion and a way of life in general. Daesh is a terror group, whatever their twisted perception on religion doesn't represent anything about Islam.

But it is spawned from Islam. To claim ISIS has nothing to do with Islam is an extention of the common 'no true Scotsman' logical fallacy.

But it is spawned from Islam. To claim ISIS has nothing to do with Islam is an extention of the common 'no true Scotsman' logical fallacy.

That's what i call logical fallacy. If a twisted group can claim and become representatif for the general majority, then we're all screwed. It's part of lazziness and ignorance to educate oneself to gather enough information and knowladge to identify and distinguish between what's right and wrong.

Know yourself and know your enemy to win the battle. Are you implying Islam as your enemy?

That's what i call logical fallacy. If a twisted group can claim and become representatif for the general majority, then we're all screwed. It's part of lazziness and ignorance to educate oneself to gather enough information and knowladge to identify and distinguish between what's right and wrong.

Know yourself and know your enemy to win the battle. Are you implying Islam as your enemy?

No. A logical fallacy is when a group who expressly claim to follow Islam and whose followers all claim Islam carries out a series of barbaric attacks and the rest of Islam attempts to distance itself from it by requalifying what Islam is. It is the definition of a logical fallacy and it is one that has been used for centuries as a tool of rhetoric. You are trying to do so even now.

That's one logical flaw on your side. This weak logical assumption can be easily manipulated by the perpetrator groups to generate and setup certain view or mood for the general mass. Following your logic, i can safely assume extremist Buddhist and terrorist in Myanmar is the nature of Buddhist in general and since i despise terrorist and extremist, then i despise buddhist and buddhism. Should i proclaim war on Buddhist? Or should Indonesia proclaim war on Myanmar?

Buddhism and violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's one logical flaw on your side. This weak logical assumption can be easily manipulated by the perpetrator groups to generate and setup certain view or mood for the general mass. Following your logic, i can safely assume extremist Buddhist and terrorist in Myanmar is the nature of Buddhist in general and since i despise terrorist and extremist, then i despise buddhist and buddhism. Should i proclaim war on Buddhist? Or should Indonesia proclaim war on Myanmar?

Buddhism and violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You have fallen into the No True Scotsman logical fallacy. Please look it up.

The subject at hand is ISIS in SE Asia. The solution is zero tolerance. Indonesia needs to wage a war against militant Islam. Everything ielse is whataboutery on your part and is totally irrelevent. Most of the Islamic world, inclding the Pakistanis, see the need for reform and introspection in Islam. Perhaps you should do the same.

Last edited:

Terrorism are political in nature not religion. Anybody with a passing knowledge of politics would know that.

Back
Top Bottom