What's new

ISI's covert war wing: Directorate S

Images & the Write Up are from the book "The Operators" written by Micheal Hastings on General McChrystal.....the images are what the General drew on the white board while addressing the leadership of Nato member countries......the write is what General had to say about Afghan strategy.....

As far as Directorate S is concerned then, no such Directorate exist...you have Wings in Directorate of Inter Services Intelligence.......and as I have said earlier - the Legend has it Establishment is the S Wing :D ......

am surprised you have never read or heard about this S Wing before.....

this is what "The Guardian" said in 2009:

Internally the ISI is divided into lettered sections, the most notorious of which is the S wing, which manages the relationship with Islamist militant groups. The C wing liaises with foreign intelligence services, and includes a CIA-funded counter-terrorism centre. Quite often, western spies complain, the C wing says one thing while the S does another.

Another one had this to say in 2011:

The finger of responsibility in these recent events often points to a shadowy outfit of the ISI dubbed the S-Wing. A notorious group of operatives, the S-Wing is made up of active ISI officers, recent retirees, and plain-clothes civilians with highly specialized training—all dedicated to protecting and preserving Pakistan's territorial integrity using any method, at any cost, with no regard for collateral damage. As black-ops units go, it is about as thuggish and ruthless as is possible, without being a criminal organization.

That is why the S-Wing should be declared a sponsor of terrorism under the “Foreign Governmental Organizations” designation by the U.S. State Department. It no longer matters whether the ISI is willfully blind, or explicitly complicit, in the murderous plots attributed to the S-Wing, which the ISI routinely denies any knowledge of or responsibility for. S-Wing must be stopped dead in its tracks before immeasurable harm comes from the missionary zeal of its agents, no matter how misguided their mission may be.

That the ISI even operates a special unit like the S-Wing to do the nation's dirty work demonstrates Pakistani state malfeasance in a manner that can no longer be ignored, compromised with, or tolerated by the U.S. government—indeed, by any government anywhere. What's worse, there is a growing likelihood that the ISI no longer controls the monsters it has created within its highly insulated and cellular organizational structure.

This is what few other had to say:

The secretive S Wing of ISI is under fresh scrutiny in the wake of Osama bin Laden’s killing and the ongoing trial of Tahawwur Rana in Chicago where David Headley has narrated in detail ISI’s role in the Mumbai attacks.

The ISI’s involvement and planning for Mumbai attacks would have been handled by the S Wing, sources here said.

ISI coordinates all its work with terrorist groups through S Wing, a secretive, powerful and probably dispersed network that includes a number of retired military personnel. The S Wing may have “hundreds of retired military officers and terror leaders” on its rolls, said a senior official. “All that we know about ISI may not fully explain this monster,” he said of ISI and its S Wing.

The official speculated that even some very senior retired military officers who are active in the Track 2 circuit may be associated with the S Wing. “When you really look at the reach of their work, then it is clear that it is an operation with great depth and wide reach,” he said of S Wing.

Headley has outlined in the Chicago court, where he is the prosecution witness in Rana’s trial, about his extensive training and financial support from ISI. He was being handled by one Major Iqbal. Indian sources are convinced that the major is part of the S Wing.

“We have known about its (S Wing) existence for several years. It took shape probably in the 80s, and from then on it has grown in size and strength,” a former intelligence officer said, adding that the entire operation of Kashmir militancy through the past 20 years was handled by this Wing.

S Wing also handles Taliban and al-Qaida, sources said. Most Indian officers are convinced that Osama was being sheltered by select officers of S Wing.

Taliban has been S Wing’s most stunning achievement — grooming youngsters from refugee camps and madrassas to become fighters who took over Afghanistan. Colonel Imam, a legendary ISI operative who trained Mullah Omar and played a significant role in the Taliban raid into Kabul, may have been part of this S Wing, an Indian official said.

He argued that S Wing, or whatever new name it now has, is “steeped in Islamic ideologies imparted during Zia-ul-Haq’s time, and most of them are fanatics”. If ISI had to metamorphose from its present state of being a semi-criminal enterprise into a modern intelligence agency, then it would have to begin with the S Wing, said officials.

my take on this - you can see why i had called the S-wing baba yayga because that is what the world is telling me...... that all their Highly trained shooters, knobturners, guys from Tron Victor / ISA, JSOC are unable to compete with bunch of old dudes?
A correction for Guardian here : Rather CT wing liaises with CIA and other foreign agencies.
Btw "B" "S" and "A" work in triangle.

BAT and S Wing is very much real for some, who can not figure out what hit them.

Chal aik Moobee esh Bing par bi bana do

Basically what Kiyani says that there is no Free Lunch ..give us something and we will consider changing our Strategy .
Somethings and somethings big at that, knowing full well the Yanks will be unable to fulfill demands, classic hard bargaining yet the laconic chainsmoking General must have really kept his poise whilst playing poker with the hawkish top brass at Pentagon and Langley.Kudos Starlord

Somethings and somethings big at that, probably knowing the Yanks will be unable to fulfill demands, classic hard bargaining yet the laconic chainsmoking General must have really kept his poise whilst playing poker with the hawkish top brass at Pentagon and Langley.Kudos Starlord

Of course my friend , American would be in much better place if their Generals don't get caught hooking up with Russian hookers lol , Kiyani kept them busy but i respect his dedication and demands he put in front of uncle sam .
Sometimes i wonder if America eventually leave Afghanistan with a sour defeat, who will take the credit and blame for it ? :azn:

Of course my friend , American would be in much better place if their Generals don't get caught hooking up with Russian hookers lol , Kiyani kept them busy but i respect his dedication and demands he put in front of uncle sam .
Sometimes i wonder if America eventually leave Afghanistan with a sour defeat, who will take the credit and blame for it ? :azn:
For certain they will do all they can to blame us for their failure "cough" "cough" Cambodia, you see it does not serve them well to see their myth of invincibly getting smashed by what they term as sandn*****s.Kudos

Back
Top Bottom