What's new

ISI has taken over GHQ

Two things. As per the US constitution, even the US president does not have the right to authorize the killing of a US citizen -
He can't do it arbitrarily but can authorize it as an act of war; he isn't the commander-in-chief for nothing. The guy the prez ordered killed in Yemen was declared months earlier to be an enemy combatant, regardless of his U.S. citizenship.

Just like the War Powers Resolution stated, the US President needed to get authorization from the Congress to go to war abroad -
That's not what the WPR says. The WPR says that 60 days after U.S. soldiers are in combat the president has to go to Congress.

They failed to prove that for Iraq in 2003, which is why they bypassed the US Congress (& the US constitution), going to the UN for their approval -
No way to bypass Congress by going to the U.N., the WPR still applies.

I personally think that the role of ISI must be expanded, ISI must be tasked with the safety of Pakistan and of Pakistanis with whatever means necessary. And it must be headed by reasonable, intelligent and adapting officers.
That doesn't sound any different than every other military junta that ever existed.

Saleem shehzad, Akbar Bughti, Red mosque students, common baloch and many other are just few example of the killing immunity our ISI and MI enjoying.

Talking about Akbar bugti, Red Mosque like you mentioned. What should have been the reaction against people who fight against the state? Should we have awarded a Nishan E Pakistan to Akbar Bugti for firing at least 400 rockets daily on Sui gas plant or should have given Maulana Abdul Rasheed and his brother tamgha e Imtiaz for storing assault rifles in a place of worship? The military might not have the immunity to kill anyone but did Akbar Bugti or Red Mosque people had immunity to fight against the state?

Or you so called liberals have awarded this immunity yourself?

That's not what the WPR says. The WPR says that 60 days after U.S. soldiers are in combat the president has to go to Congress.

The resolution provides that the President can send U.S. armed forces into action abroad only by authorization of Congress

or

in case of "a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces."

No way to bypass Congress by going to the U.N., the WPR still applies.

Answered above. You can bypass the Congress in case of a national emergency created by attack upon the US, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces. This is how the WPR from the Congress was bypassed, as Iraq was accused of having nukes that were an imminent threat to the US.

last i heard, there was an INSURGENCY going on in and around the areas bordering Afghanistan.....every single day there are thousands of assesments done (among them threat assesments).......so obviously given this security climate (in which ground intel is crucial) the intelligence agencies will perhaps have a more "dominant" role than they would during "peace-time"

and nobody is "taking over" anybody or anything else.....theyre both on the same side and they complement eachother, so what "taking over" is there really?

what a silly headline title --- media as usual helping to create confusions

Typical non sense reply we normally get from any fan boy of men in uniform.
In that case, let ISI chief be the president, Prime minister and chief justice and COAS of Pakistan until his death. ISI is not supposed to control the civilian government or take control of GHQ.

Your Draculian nature is disgusting. WHy you are so thirsty for the blood.
By way men in uniform, ISI and MI already enjoying this immunity and license to kill killing people in the name of National interest.

Saleem shehzad, Akbar Bughti, Red mosque students, common baloch and many other are just few example of the killing immunity our ISI and MI enjoying.

ISI already have these responsibilities, now it all about setting the priorities right.
I am sorry I didn't know that U don't like the ISI and its role played for the safguard of our national security and integrity......its truly sad!!!.....:smokin:

The ISI has always worked in tandem with the GHQ, saying that one has taken over the other is utter and plain nonsense. The argument provided to sustain the article is flawed and goes on beating about the bush rather than tackle any issue of consequence head-on.

Typical non sense reply we normally get from any fan boy of men in uniform.
In that case, let ISI chief be the president, Prime minister and chief justice and COAS of Pakistan until his death. ISI is not supposed to control the civilian government or take control of GHQ.

Agreed, the ISI must operate within it's mandate, the problem is that it's doing just that but it's still not safe from criticism from ultra-modern, bash the nation to look cool types.

By way men in uniform, ISI and MI already enjoying this immunity and license to kill killing people in the name of National interest.

Saleem shehzad

Source? Never proven and I think the ISI which is supposed to specialize in cloak and dagger operations could do a better job at hiding their handiwork than just beating a man to death and leaving his body to be found by the first conveniently passing pedestrian.

Akbar Bughti

Known Enemy of the state, killed in a military operation by the Army in a government sanctioned Op.

Red mosque students

Allowed two weeks to surrender, over 2000 repatriated 70 odd hardcore militants killed in military operation sanctioned by government.

common baloch

Alleged by terrorist organizations, never proven and the absence of Army from all areas of Balochistan except Quetta Cantonment throws doubt on this claim.

and many other are just few example of the killing immunity our ISI and MI

You may friend, haven't proved squat.

ISI already have these responsibilities, now it all about setting the priorities right.

Priority is national interest, it's crystal clear. Your argument is the only thing that needs setting right.

yea right the military guys are like losers ISI is keeping an eye :triniti: to cases like Brg ali not much big threats from out side

Opinion Mixing facts with illusions

Ikram Sehgal

Thursday, March 22, 2012

The so-called ISI case by the Supreme Court has nothing to do with the ISI, the ISI did not distribute funds to politicians in 1990. Even our respected chief justice is now taking this perception to be a fact.

Ms Benazir brought Lt Gen S R Kallue out of retirement to head the ISI in 1988. When her government was dismissed by President Ghulam Ishaq Khan in August 1990, Gen Kallue resigned immediately. During the caretaker period, an “election cell” in the presidency tried to thwart Ms Benazir’s bid to win the elections again. Besides other measures resorted to by the “election cell”, some politicians were earmarked for financial support. Even with Gen Kallue out of the ISI, the powers-that-be opted against using it as a conduit for distribution of the illegal cash. Director General Military Intelligence (DGMI) Maj Gen Asad Durrani was directed by the then COAS Gen Aslam Beg to arrange the clandestine disbursement.

Asad Durrani tasked regional director MI in Karachi, Brig Hamid Saeed, to spread the largesse in Sindh and Balochistan. The MI officers assumed that the Rs14 crore that came into the specially opened six accounts came from the GHQ. Both Hamid Saeed and Mir Akbar had never met Younis Habib, they were unaware he was the source of the funds. Hamid Saeed is clear he never met him in his whole life. The illegal transactions took place from mid Sep 1990, when the funds were received (only about Rs3 crore went to political figures, Rs36 lacs went to non-political figures). It ended five or six weeks later around the third week of Oct 1990, when out of the balance of the Rs14 crore, approximately Rs6.50 crore, was sent back to the GHQ (Rs4 crore being returned earlier).

One of the reasons for this confusion between perception and fact is because by mid Oct 1990 Asad Durrani was promoted to the post of lieutenant general and posted as DG ISI. To add to that, Mir Akbar, who actually operated the six accounts and personally disbursed most of the funds, replaced Col Sajjad the ISI head in Karachi, on being posted from the MI to ISI on Asad Durrani’s request. Around the end of Oct, Hamid Saeed rendered the final accounting to Durrani about the funds disbursed, the balance money was refunded. This was definitely not an ISI operation, MI officers were involved but more as individuals rather than the MI as an institution. Respectfully, the SC should correct this wrong perception.

While in service, all the three MI officers had good reputations as being upright soldiers, of good integrity and character. Though the instructions came from the COAS through the DGMI, it did fall in the grey area of being an “unlawful command”. However, these officers must have been convinced that the operation was necessary. Because of the request for “in camera” proceedings, one can only guess that national security reasons will eventually be cited as the “extenuating circumstances”. A meticulous person of outstanding merit, Hamid Saeed is incapable of telling a lie. Though he has had five stents put in his heart in a two stage operation only a couple of months ago, the Supreme (SC) should call this outstanding soldier (and citizen) to testify, and his Lordships will find this dispassionate man’s heart in the right place.

Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan’s statement that with Lt Gen Shuja Pasha retiring, Imran Khan would find politics tough was disturbing and disappointing. This implies that the ISI, and specifically Shuja Pasha, was supporting Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf. The way Mian Nawaz Sharif was treated when he was removed as PM was unacceptable, therefore the grudge that Nisar’s boss carries is quite understandable, but it should be for the then military hierarchy, why does Mian Sahib continue attacking the whole army? And an army far removed from that in 1999? If he ever becomes PM again, will he disband the army just because Gen Mahmud treated him shabbily?

With great potential not only for himself but for the country, Ch Nisar is very special for many reasons, as one of our outstanding politicians, he has done commendable work as chairman Public Accounts Committee. Besides being unfair particularly given his military heritage, it is quite unbecoming of him to disparage an outstanding soldier of such impeccable character and integrity as Shuja Pasha. Professional soldier to the core, Shuja Pasha never wanted to go into intelligence ever, he had taken over as DG ISI very reluctantly, and only because Gen Kayani insisted. As the person heading the most vilified intelligence entity in the world, being subjected to a continuous motivated campaign of the most vicious kind comes with the job. Shuja Pasha chose silence in keeping with his requirements of his job and self-effacing personality.

Facts can be embellished by illusion to create doubts about credibility. When Mathew Green from Financial Times (FT) asked my best guess a few weeks ago about whether Shuja Pasha would get an extension as DG ISI and if not, who would possibly be his replacement, I stated what I knew at first hand, that Shuja Pasha was dead set against an extension. The new DG ISI was a no-brainer based on pure logic (almost everyone else had reached the same conclusion), Lt Gen Ejaz Chaudhry was promoted to a three-star rank as far back as October 2011 but still in place in a two-star appointment he would most probably replace Zaheerul Islam as Commander 5 Corps, who would become DG ISI. Ejaz’s tremendous Karachi expertise as the DG Rangers was another plus point.

I did mention in passing to Mathew Green that Zaheer had a distant relationship in India with Gen Shah Nawaz Khan of the Indian National Army (INA) fame. Next thing I knew a local channel was asking me about the supposed Shahrukh Khan relationship to Zaheer. I contradicted the blatant and motivated lie vehemently. It is pathetic that my contradiction was not repeated. Incidentally a news item appearing in Khaleej Times that Gen Durrani had mentioned in his affidavit in the Supreme Court that money was paid to Khalida Zia by the ISI for the elections in Bangladesh is another total fabrication. Is it a coincidence that all such lies emanate from somewhere in India?

Imran Khan has broad support across the body politic of Pakistan, while there are miles to go before he wins an election; the major parties are hoping that if the lie is repeated enough times it will be taken as the truth. This is most unfair to the masses in Pakistan who have put their aspirations on this their biggest hope against rampant corruption and discrimination in the body politic of Pakistan. However, there is one factor one cannot ignore, almost the entire rank and file of the armed forces individually and collectively seem to also rest their hopes for the future in Imran Khan. Rather than any motivated instructions by the military hierarchy downwards to the rank and file to support Imran, the pressure is the other way around, it is flowing upwards.

With apologies to “Pepsi”, the bottom line about the alleged support of the ISI for Imran Khan is pure canard, “there is nothing official about it”!

The writer is a defence and political analyst. Email: isehgal@pathfinder9. com

Opinion Mixing facts with illusions

.............. Though the instructions came from the COAS through the DGMI, it did fall in the grey area of being an “unlawful command”. However, these officers must have been convinced that the operation was necessary. ...............

So the COAS using MI instead of ISI for implementing his unlawful command is reason enough to absolve the military leadership of its treasonous crimes?

i Always think how the Indian members and some other have fear of ISI..

This insisting me to print **** Stars on ISI...

for me ISI is controversial i cannot say they are good or bad but i hope and im sure whatever they are doing they are doing for good for pakistan

Back
Top Bottom