What's new

Is south Korea the second largest pop culture exporter

nope, not in Indonesia. they've been replaced with T-Pop (Turkish Dramas) while I-Pop (Indian Shows) and J-Pop still remained above them all. Korean Pop culture has become less and less popular nowadays. i expect G-Pop (German Pop Culture) to reach Indonesia as well.
wait, Indian shows in Indonesia??

K pop is sweep the whole east and Southeast Asia, but it's garbage in NA or EU.

this is garbage?

No, but SK is not doing bad.

I think UK have music that are more popular world wide (Spice Girls, Beatles) , and it's actor and actresses (Kiera Knightley) are much more famous throughout the world. Also harry potter. Also TV shows like Dr Who has a strong nerd following.

Japan has a strong subculture influence everywhere, but I won't say Japanese pop culture is main stream in non east asian countries. There are some japanese things that young people everywhere will know like pokemon games, godzillia and giant robots, but Japanese music, movies, animation are less watched and listen to then western stuff by a good portion.

France and Italy usually make joint work that are popular throughout Europe, but unfortunately has less appeal to rest of non french colony world because it is not in the de facto world language (English)

Canada and to a lesser extent Australia and New Zealand have famous actors and pop music, but most of the world just assume they are American (Justin Bieber)

jpop isn't popular even in Asia except its **** and animie

no, Britain pop is not so popular as Kpop.
Ahahahahah.....after the U.S no country has a better pop industry than us. Do you even know what you are talking about bro? You seriously don't know anything about Britain at all.:coffee:

I said it before though, S.korea music/pop does dominates in East and to some extent South East Asia though, but worldwide they don't really come close to U.S Or even U.K .

many young people watch dramas made by Internet companies now
and TV dramas about time travel, immorality, ghosts are not banned on Internet

still fantasy and immorality dramas are very popular in TV channels, for example, the best show of this year is

which is aired by the most welcome TV channel in China
time travel dramas are still on TV channels, but not so many

I don't get this K-Pop thing,most of the time it's borderline sexual exploitation of auto tuned young girls/boy with choreographed personalities.Nothing beats the British Pop music scene.

Ahahahahah.....after the U.S no country has a better pop industry than us. Do you even know what you are talking about bro? You seriously don't know anything about Britain at all.:coffee:

I said it before though, S.korea music/pop does dominates in East and to some extent South East Asia though, but worldwide they don't really come close to U.S Or even U.K .

I have said that US is number one
UK music and dramas are not so popular in non-western countries.
Korean dramas and bands are very popular in Asian countries

Never seen a Chinese defend junk Korean pop like this, are you a girl?

coz we Chinese are so proud to ignore the strength of South Korea
this is not good at all

Last edited:
I believe "One Direction" is British.
They made $290M in their 2014 tour.

They are british indeed. But i dont really like thier music, not my type. More for teenagers(girls especially).lol
Our bands seem to always do well internationally, from the beatles(the most successful/popular band in the world ever), to spice girls(maybe only the destinates child came close to them in popularity) to backstreet boys , to the rolling stones to now one direction(the biggest/most popular band in the world today).

Funny enough one direction were just runners up in the X-factor, its a british music show organized by simon cowell, the british entertainment guru. I was even surprised they became so popular worldwide, since i watchef them when they started as amateurs/college boys.
By the way, the X-factor also has an american version as well,@Peter C . Guess you know it?

The World's Biggest Bands Are British and Its Biggest Solo Artists Are American - The Atlantic

I have said that US is number one
UK music and dramas are not so popular in non-western countries.
Korean dramas and bands are very popular in Asian countries

coz we Chinese are too proud to ignore the strength of South Korea
this is not good at all

Your chinese brother is right though. Lool

Anyway, how come Chinese pop music/entertainment industry lags so much behind its east asian peers(forget about the west)? Only korea and Japan dominate in this region......surprising. :what:

Last edited:
In fact, guess who are the first and only artist/musicians to have crossed the 1 billion mark of records sold/moved worldwide?

Answer: Its none other than our Beatles.:enjoy: Then comes Michael Jackson(king of pop) and Elvis Presley. (king of rock n roll). Those are the only 3 artists to have crossed that mark in history if mankind, even today.
These three are all kings/legends of their profession, all the others are on another different low league. :pop:

In fact, guess who are the first and only artist/musicians to have crossed the 1 billion mark of records sold/moved worldwide?

Answer: Its none other than our Beatles.:enjoy: Then comes Michael Jackson(king of pop) and Elvis Presley. (king of rock n roll). Those are the only 3 artists to have crossed that mark in history if mankind, even today.
These three are all kings/legends of their profession, all the others are on another different low league. :pop:
Not to mention the culture impact of Sci-fi TV drama Doctor Who on the genre of Sci fi alone and after 50 years after its broadcast, it is still running today with its 12th Doctor. Does anyone know how many US TV series can trace its root to its UK origins, just out of my head without further into research, there are House of Cards, Skin, Shameless and Eleventh Hour. After little research, holy moly.
List of American television series based on British television series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to mention the culture impact of Sci-fi TV drama Doctor Who on the genre of Sci fi alone and after 50 years after its broadcast, it is still running today with its 12th Doctor. Does anyone know how many US TV series can trace its root to its UK origins, just out of my head without further into research, there are House of Cards, Skin, Shameless and Eleventh Hour. After little research, holy moly.
List of American television series based on British television series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its OK bro. Don't mind some members here , they are very ignorant about Britain. Maybe because we don't boast much on here.lol

Anyway, U.S is still our child, so some foreigners who are not familiar with our anglo saxon link/culture can easilly confused/mix up british and american music/Artist/musicians, so i can understand them
For example the first time i heard Tinie Tempah's rap music 'Pass out', i thought it was American. Lol Our styles can be similar at times and language doesn't help either(though its a little bit different).:)

In this regard, K-pop's influence can be no where near the accomplishment of J-pop in Asia. Just an example, Nakijima Miyuki, althrough herself might not be very known in China, but her songs gave literately lives to many famous singers in greater China areas.

中岛美雪被翻唱作品

原唱日文版歌名 / 翻唱者 / 中文版歌名

あどけない话 / 郑秀文 / 一错再错

爱から远く离れて / 侯湘婷 / 离开爱的日子

爱される花爱されぬ花 / 刘若英、彭芳、柯皓燃、馨予 / 原来你也在这里

髪 / 斑斑 / 发

窓ガラス / 威镇乐队 / 快到我面前

相席 / 辛晓琪 / 谁啊

悪女 / 林佳仪 / 爱迷惑

悪女 / 王菲 / 若你真爱我

悪女 / 陈迪匡 / 星期日下午

恶女 / 黄莺莺 / 等著回答