What's new

Is Pakistan sinking?

A few thoughts come to mind, especially in light of the intellectually lazy comments such as Exhibit A, B and X.

Got to give it more to these indians who thump chests vigourously and scream "super powa" while more than half your population doesnt even have access to toilets or running water and are forced to turn road-sides into foul smelling open air urinals - in a country where a multi-million dollar high rise is situated right next to a massive slum housing development; and all this while a raging insurgency (rather, insurgencies) flourishe in a sizeable land mass (larger than Pakistan itself)

perhaps caught up in excitement to reply to my post they may overlook the part where i rather clearly said "DESPITE THE SOCIO ECONOMIC AND OTHER ISSUES" meaning we still have a long way to go to ensure evenly distrubuted development and freer access to public services --and that too regardless of the fact that we are a nation that's been at war off and on for nearly half a decade (plus 3 large-scale natural disasters and a government that's looted Pakistan to the tune of hundreds of millons --perhaps billions of $US)

Western and even some opportunistic regional journalists seem to miss the point entirely every time. Or is it the fact that there is already a matter of fact acceptance in their and others' minds about Pakistan despite having never even been there to note the intricacies that often surprise even the most stubborn.

Who can forget the prediction in 2007 (by Declan Walsh?) that Pakistan would only last 6 months. :laugh:

Pakistan is here to stay. Why? Because of the resiliance of its people. The contradiction is its strength (and weakness) , unity through diversity.

In 1947, the nation had nothing. Not even a factory to make safety pins. The enemy said it wouldnt last 6 months. The faultines were worse, the violence had been worse, yet it survived.

Then came 2007 they said Pakistan has its "commuppence"

"They deserve it" they said, they said it wont last 6 months.

And now its 2013 and guess what --azzholes - its still here. :D

I don't think Pakistan needs outside help or support they are very hard working people and half of their population is very young
Once the Nato Leave AF the problem of TTP will be easily eliminated .
Economy depends upon good governance once they have good Government they can easily improve their economy it will take some time but they are not that bad either.

How do you suppose there is an upward trajectory as you have prophesied.

specifically how do you see the resolution of extremism being rid from your country? Let's face it, that is the single issue, aint it, that is leading to economic woes because of Pakistan being more and more alienated as an investment front? What do you see stops the free fall from one benefactor (US) to another(China) as a ' must have' support structure for you country?

I don't think Pakistan needs outside help or support they are very hard working people and half of their population is very young
Economy depends upon good governance once they have good Government they can easily improve their economy it will take some time but they are not that bad either.

the extremist ideology is not going to die down once we leave. albeit we will have a military presence for another decade of some measure there

Pakistan's bad economy and growing population is making the state even weaker.

However, US too has played their part in this by supporting their corrupt puppets.

Lets leave Pakistan aside, I am worried about the US with its increasing crime rate and social tensions.

Yes pakistan only need one patriotic man who can fix our system PPP and Pml N and all other politicians are cancer and real mafiya .

Mark my words.

The situation in Pakistan, for what can be done in the short term to maintain order and stability. Things will start to settle down this year.
And will only improve from here on. Give it a few years, no-one will be talking of collapse and survival, rather thriving and future prospects.

Mark my words.

The situation in Pakistan, for what can be done in the short term to maintain order and stability. Things will start to settle down this year.
And will only improve from here on. Give it a few years, no-one will be talking of collapse and survival, rather thriving and future prospects.

That is very heartening, So whats the game plan, how do see the chain of events that would stabilize the situation and put you back in the growth path

But Paid missionaries will be hard to find to carry up the destruction and with out logistic and Weapons and with out Fund to carry out raid like Kamra base will be not easy.

the extremist ideology is not going to die down once we leave. albeit we will have a military presence for another decade of some measure there

But Paid missionaries will be hard to find to carry up the destruction and with out logistic and Weapons and with out Fund to carry out raid like Kamra base will be not easy.

I hope that is case but that well is not drying up in my opinion

Pakistan is located on one of the most fertile plain of Indian subcontinent and for several thousand centuries this continent has hosted one of the largest and wealthiest populations on earth. While colonialism is dead is dead in its physical form the concept is well alive in the form of global banking dominated economies. It is utterly disgusting that a resource and man power blessed country which once was envied by every rising power from Alexander to British Crown stands today on life support of international aid and IMF & World Bank bailouts on humiliating terms. It is forced to export its surplus wheat for earning valuable foreign reserve while millions in its own borders go hungry. Vital raw materials like cement are exported for revenue earning while our national infrastructure is in shambles. Our national economic concerns are only dominated by falling value of rupee against dollar and hoarding forex reserves to save our face. Under the every growing tentacles of criminal global banking it fast track to join the ranks of African countries who rich resources are off-limits to their own people. We will not progress and become self reliant until the nation wakes up and breaks this shackle of Dollar, Pound, Euro, Sterling slavery.

Our resources be it manpower, minerals or trade routes are being exploited by outsiders in disguise of economic development and foreign investment while national assets like power and water are gradually falling into the hands of World Bank, IMF and ADB cronies. Our currency which represents the savings and economic being of 180 million people is gradually being reduced to a worthless piece of paper with some ink on it. If this is not r@pe of a nation, then I don't know what is it.

Stop let other use you like tissue paper....either it is US or China.....you will never sink.....I am sure time will come when India Pakistan US China and other will respect each other.

Then came 2007 they said Pakistan has its "commuppence"

"They deserve it" they said, they said it wont last 6 months.

And now its 2013 and guess what --azzholes - its still here. :D

What happened in 2007?

One year before the Credit crunch.

I think the author mixed up the countries.. It's the Maldives that's sinking not Pakistan.. Lol

But on a serious note.. These kind of doomsday predictions have been told by many with vested interests over the years.. Pakistan and it's people have shown their resilience in the face of so many odds have proven them wrong every time

Pakistani imo made a huge blunder when they encompassed organised religion in to nation building by the Zia Ul Haq regime.. That in turn gave fundamentalist like the Saudi's to gain a foothold in the country.. It's that mistake which is the direct cause for the instability by religious extremists there.. If Pakistani can get their country back in to a secular state the future will be bright.. It will be tough but given the strength of it's people not impossible

In any insurgent or militant activity to continue logistic plays big part After 2014 it will be very difficult for them to get and pakistan will be very active in AF with their Proxy to make matter worst for them and off course AF government.

I hope that is case but that well is not drying up in my opinion

The militancy and the extremism can be swept aside once their lifeline of support from within the state itself is cut off, and once the forces of mainstream economy and politics begin to assert themselves.

Without under the table support from certain sections of the state itself, militancy and extremism will suffocate in this environment, and the ballot box will assign them their true place in our society, like it always has.
Spot on! But are the powers that be, listening?

Back
Top Bottom