What's new

Is America weaker than China?

Xiaomi is best seller of smartphones in China and India.

DJI is global best seller of hobby drones.

Huawei Suffers Rare Drop in Revenue as U.S. Sanctions Bite
Slate of U.S. actions, including chip ban, hits Chinese telecom maker’s sales outside of China hard

Tech Decoupling: China's Race to End Its Reliance on the U.S.

The tech battle between the U.S. and China has battered TikTok and Huawei and startled American companies that produce and sell in China. WSJ explains how Beijing is pouring money into high-tech chips as it wants to become self-sufficient. Video/Illustration: George Downs/The Wall Street Journal (Video from 9/3/20)
By
Dan Strump
HONG KONG—Huawei Technologies Co. suffered a rare decline in revenue during the fourth quarter last year, as U.S. sanctions hammered its business and sales outside of China fell particularly hard.
The Chinese telecom giant said sales of its once hugely popular smartphones were suffering the most of all its business segments, with the company showing signs of difficulty sourcing the advanced chips needed to run its handsets due to U.S. export restrictions imposed last year.
Revenue in the fourth quarter fell 11.2% to 220.1 billion yuan, equivalent to about $33.6 billion, from a year earlier, according to calculations based on previously released figures by Huawei. For the full year, the company said revenue still grew 3.8% to a record 891.4 billion yuan, thanks to stronger performance earlier in the year. It still marked one of Huawei’s slowest years for revenue growth on record, the closely held company said.
“The supply restrictions for our smartphone business has caused us a great impact, and we haven’t been able to see a clear picture in the supply for our smartphones,” said Ken Hu, one of Huawei’s three deputy chairmen, during a press conference Wednesday at the company’s headquarters in Shenzhen. “We think this is a very unfair situation to Huawei and it has caused a lot of damage to us.”

Meant to say Soviet GDP was declining relative to US GDP, population did not decline until 1990's. Regardless, Chinese GDP and population are far superior to Warsaw Pact and postwar Japan, combined.

And? US GDP is already massive and will continue to be so. US household net worth was $130 trillion at the end of last year. The US spent over $5 trillion last year and just proposed another $2.2 trillion for infrastructure and R&D. The US spent over 6% of GDP on defense during the Reagan years. Now it’s only 3-3.5%. The US could comfortably spend $1T on defense if it chose. Money is no problem for the United States.

And? US GDP is already massive and will continue to be so. US household net worth was $130 trillion at the end of last year. The US spent over $5 trillion last year and just proposed another $2.2 trillion for infrastructure and R&D. The US spent over 6% of GDP on defense during the Reagan years. Now it’s only 3-3.5%. The US could comfortably spend $1T on defense if it chose. Money is no problem for the United States.

China spends ~1% of GDP on defense, about the same level as pacifist Japan and Germany. Plenty of room to rise as well. Most of the household net worth is based on asset valuations, which can always be inflated by artificially pumping up housing and stock prices.

Huawei Suffers Rare Drop in Revenue as U.S. Sanctions Bite
Slate of U.S. actions, including chip ban, hits Chinese telecom maker’s sales outside of China hard

Tech Decoupling: China's Race to End Its Reliance on the U.S.'s Race to End Its Reliance on the U.S.

The tech battle between the U.S. and China has battered TikTok and Huawei and startled American companies that produce and sell in China. WSJ explains how Beijing is pouring money into high-tech chips as it wants to become self-sufficient. Video/Illustration: George Downs/The Wall Street Journal (Video from 9/3/20)
By
Dan Strump
HONG KONG—Huawei Technologies Co. suffered a rare decline in revenue during the fourth quarter last year, as U.S. sanctions hammered its business and sales outside of China fell particularly hard.
The Chinese telecom giant said sales of its once hugely popular smartphones were suffering the most of all its business segments, with the company showing signs of difficulty sourcing the advanced chips needed to run its handsets due to U.S. export restrictions imposed last year.
Revenue in the fourth quarter fell 11.2% to 220.1 billion yuan, equivalent to about $33.6 billion, from a year earlier, according to calculations based on previously released figures by Huawei. For the full year, the company said revenue still grew 3.8% to a record 891.4 billion yuan, thanks to stronger performance earlier in the year. It still marked one of Huawei’s slowest years for revenue growth on record, the closely held company said.
“The supply restrictions for our smartphone business has caused us a great impact, and we haven’t been able to see a clear picture in the supply for our smartphones,” said Ken Hu, one of Huawei’s three deputy chairmen, during a press conference Wednesday at the company’s headquarters in Shenzhen. “We think this is a very unfair situation to Huawei and it has caused a lot of damage to us.”

Huawei is not the only Chinese company. There are plenty others. Geely. BYD. Lenovo. For examples.

we are not talking about toy makers

we are talking about technology

That's one heck of a toy maker! 😏

I suggest you go back to school and retake econ 101, if you EVER went to college given how expensive that is. end of the day, it's not how much you make, it's how you save that matters. for that is ultimately decides how much is your population able to spend on nonessential goods & services not to mention how much are they able to invest in places like real estate. when I look at the american population versus the Chinese population, I see the vast majority population of the former constantly struggling for jobs, struggling to make ends meet, living paycheck to paycheck, unable to buy even a small house let a alone have savings versus the latter's population that increasingly debt free, is able to afford a decent mortgage maintaining a decent rate of savings and a decent job. it is clear that the u.s. views China as an enemy now and it is also clear that the u.s. is the only country earth that owes trillions of dollars in debt to its enemy.

now remain silent as I have had enough of your "long lost glory" led bafoonary. don't forget...I live here as you do and I see the masses struggling below the line of poverty every single day. Thank God All Mighty I've kept my hard earned savings and investments in Pakistan!

watch, learn & humble yourself...

Can we keep mocking posts off here.

On topic, the US is not weaker than China, it's stronger, both in economic and military terms. However China is fast catching up, it has a homogeneous culture and they speak with one voice, which has it's own strength.

It's good to have a world with multiple strong powers.
The US however remains apex country by a fair margin.

Can we keep mocking posts off here.

On topic, the US is not weaker than China, it's stronger, both in economic and military terms. However China is fast catching up, it has a homogeneous culture and they speak with one voice, which has it's own strength.

It's good to have a world with multiple strong powers.
The US however remains apex country by a fair margin.
the margin is fast decreasing in some areas and has been over taken in others.

The USA will collapse in approximately 23 hours and 18 minutes

I suggest you go back to school and retake econ 101, if you EVER went to college given how expensive that is. end of the day, it's not how much you make, it's how you save that matters. for that is ultimately decides how much is your population able to spend on nonessential goods & services not to mention how much are they able to invest in places like real estate. when I look at the american population versus the Chinese population, I see the vast majority population of the former constantly struggling for jobs, struggling to make ends meet, living paycheck to paycheck, unable to buy even a small house let a alone have savings versus the latter's population that increasingly debt free, is able to afford a decent mortgage maintaining a decent rate of savings and a decent job. it is clear that the u.s. views China as an enemy now and it is also clear that the u.s. is the only country earth that owes trillions of dollars in debt to its enemy.

now remain silent as I have had enough of your "long lost glory" led bafoonary. don't forget...I live here as you do and I see the masses struggling below the line of poverty every single day. Thank God All Mighty I've kept my hard earned savings and investments in Pakistan!

watch, learn & humble yourself...

What utter nonsense, the US is richer than its ever been and GDP per capita one of the highest in the world.
China spends ~1% of GDP on defense, about the same level as pacifist Japan and Germany. Plenty of room to rise as well. Most of the household net worth is based on asset valuations, which can always be inflated by artificially pumping up housing and stock prices.

China has X4 the population of the United States and still has an economy smaller than the US. The US is absurdly wealthy. Money is not an issue for US.

What utter nonsense, the US is richer than its ever been and GDP per capita one of the highest in the world.
you should yourself a favor an take a gander at the living expenses before you put your foot in your mouth. the people of the 'richer than its ever been" america have to spend of their income on simply getting basic healthcare which is riddled with expressive administrative beurocratic costs. as I said, it doesn't matter what you make, what matters is what you save which, in the case of americans, is ZILCH!

dont worry keep calm a Royal Navy Carrier Strike Group is on it way

it just loaded live weapons from Scotland last week

HMS Queen Elizabeth greeted as it makes its way to Glen Mallan on Loch Long
Your royal navy is a joke. Best of luck if your navy can even leave SCS if you dare to fire a shot. :cuckoo:

China has X4 the population of the United States and still has an economy smaller than the US. The US is absurdly wealthy. Money is not an issue for US.
If you point is right, so why U.S so afraid of China rise? China never want to be challenge anyone but is the U.S who pee her pants about China rise.

dont worry keep calm a Royal Navy Carrier Strike Group is on it way

it just loaded live weapons from Scotland last week

HMS Queen Elizabeth greeted as it makes its way to Glen Mallan on Loch Long
if the u.s. baby I mean navy couldn't stop China from building artificial island bases, you think the washed up brit navy stands a chance?

Back
Top Bottom