What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

Honestly I hope its not true considerind cooperation extensive between Iran and North Korea as too Iranian indigenous development efforts.

North Korea this year tested surface to air missile similar to one used by both S-350 and S-400 along anyone informed is aware that some first seen in North Korea also shows up in Iran as too some from Iran show up in North, at very least some elements of Iranian influence are to be suspected.

Honestly I prefer Mig-35 since it is direct derivative and successor to Mig-29 and Iran has experience in maintaining Mig-29 thus adoption of it would be easier while S-400 is what Iran has knowledge to produce comparable system in near future hence it would be wiser to seek license and manufacturing tools to produce RD-33 turbofan hence Iran could adapt own F-5E production line of Kowsar to standard of F-20 Tigershark performance with better avionics then AIM-23B aka Fakour-90 would be usable on it.

That is just my opinion.

But SU-35S would be a good addition to the iriaf.

Mig 35 is nothing in front of Su 35.
Su 35 is a different beast altogether.
That probably costs double of Mig-35 and doesn't offer double the performance in range nor payload nor radar.

Su-35 has
25% greater payload
60% greater combat range
40% greater radar range

That probably costs double of Mig-35 and doesn't offer double the performance in range nor payload nor radar.

Su-35 has
25% greater payload
60% greater combat range
40% greater radar range
Iran is not one of these countries that buy an aircraft type because it is the latest and greatest toy in the market...Air forces of serious countries have selection committees that analysis the specific operational requirements against what is out there as I am sure you all know that..

I hope such a committee in Iran recommends "No buy" as the best option for Iran..Iranian $$$ should not employee Russian or French or etc workers..Iranians have shown over and over again that if tasked and funded with a project they can deliver the best..my thoughts on the subject.

24x SU-35s would be fine but Iran also needs something like 50-100x SU-30s just to keep its airforce functional for the next two decades. J-10's from China would also be a good hedge against Russia.

I would love to see Iran also purchase 2 dozen mig-25s in order to air launch cruise / hypersonic missiles at targets from a high altitude.

I'm guessing the deal will also include upgrades for mig-29s and other Russian Fighters in Iran's inventory. Iranian pilots need helmet mounted displays as well.

A few military satellites for Iran would be a great addition. This along with the recent boost in Iran's space budget will help Iran to become a proper military power once a network of communication satellites are launched.

I'm guessing that the deal will also include the procurement of other Russian weapon systems. Technical help from Russia along with technology transfers would give Iran the necessary boost it needs to build new helicopters. A few dozen Mi-24s would be great.

The procurement of a 5th generation fighter like the Checkmate would be excellent. Also incorporating IRST onto Iranian fighter jets would be an excellent way to counter US or Israeli stealth jets.

In terms of ground, Iran should sign a deal to build the Armata tank under license but that should be in the future. The procurement of new Russian tank engines and other vital parts for tanks, armored vehicles, helicopters is necessary for Iran.

This deal is still not guaranteed to go through since Russia and the US are set to talk in January. However it seems as if the Russians have seen the writing on the wall. Americans have shown their true colors to Russia/China.

Looks like the Iranian Airforce is going to get the S-35S jets from Russia!

Almost a perfect fit for a big country like Iran

Congrats to IRIAF

Last edited:
As long as Iran receives technology transfers it's fine. Just Imagine the Iran-Iraq war without the F-14.

Iran has been trying to build fighter jets for decades now. The best iran could do under sanctions is a reverse engineered and modernized F-5 and prototypes like Qaher or Shafaq which never went anywhere.

Yes it's a great achievement the fact that Iran kept its fleet airworthy but only a few nations in the world can build 5th generation fighter jets (US, China, Russia) and only a few others can build a viable modern platform (Rafale, Eurofighter, South Korea) and that only works by being interconnected with a network of nstions (NATO for example)

Iran's drone program would not be where it is today if Iran had not captured all those American UAVs. Iran's missiles and air defense industries would not be nearly as developed without the first scuds Iran received, not to mention cooperation with North Korea.

When it comes to this subject/debate, there is idealism and realism. Iran can build a 4th generation jet but will it be world class ? Will it be able to compete with today's landscape ? Iran needs a boost and honestly purchasing a few dozen Russian fighter jets along with working with Russia is not a bad option.

Iran is not one of these countries that buy an aircraft type because it is the latest and greatest toy in the market...Air forces of serious countries have selection committees that analysis the specific operational requirements against what is out there as I am sure you all know that..

I hope such a committee in Iran recommends "No buy" as the best option for Iran..Iranian $$$ should not employee Russian or French or etc workers..Iranians have shown over and over again that if tasked and funded with a project they can deliver the best..my thoughts on the subject.

It is not question if Iran can or can not make it as it is question of time and resources invested along cooperation between entities in Iran instead of stifling.

If I remember correctly both Qaher and Shafaq were IRIAF lead projects that went nowhere as IRIAF doesn't have budget of IRGC.

Best IRIAF could do is doing extensive modification of F-5E/F design that would lower weight and reduce aerodynamic drag. Implement divertless supersonic inlets and make space for more modern landing gear such as Qaher-313 had hence new wings that aren't compromised as on F-5 series that housed landing gear thus could be made lighter.

Remove both revolver cannons and their ammunition and implement PESA radar with liquid cooling.

Stop whining! Iran's old modern fighter jets still have 20 years of life. There is some modernization that they are not showing us yet. It is clear that the Kowsar is even better and is constantly improving. I had posted an article here months ago and it seems that Iran is already working towards 6th generation planes.

they know that other countries like China, USA and Russia are working on it. Reading the article, it looks like Iran is working on making their F-5s unmanned and that makes sense. I really like the Mig 35 but the Su-35 is a great aircraft too.

We know that Iran does not present all their weapons publicly and you very often forget that here. One day Iran is going to come out of the surprises hidden in their basements and I can't wait to see your reactions here. This does not prevent importing certain weapons to supplement their strength and increase it.

If the news is indeed true for 2 batteries of 400s it proves that Iran is increasing the power level of their new air defense system to come. Iran wants complementary technology through the S400 and having multiple battery is not necessary.

Iran doesn't need an Armata tank in my opinion!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom