What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

Are we even sure if this is for the acrojet team ? I mean this is sort of a big announcement. A domestically produced fighter jet, the first of its kind for Iran being handed over to the Air Force and it goes to the acrojet team ?

This is not first versions. I think They have built at least 3-4 so far before these ones. But yes why deliver them to acrojet team. Just shows you what Air Force thinks of this plane. It’s operations are quite limited to advanced jet trainer, light close air support, and apparently pleasing crowds of civilians.

Usually they build a squadron worth every “gen” sometimes more.

Why does acrojet team need new planes?

Iranian airforce decision making is all over the place. They are the least competent Branch after Army. But as least Army has shown off Karrar and new MRAPs. Airforce is still parading around their achievement from 15 years ago.
Old habits never die!
I would say budgetary constraints and general doctrine to focus resources on ballistic missile development and production. Producing any type of planes is not easy task and involves all industries.

It seems two of the planes are newly built and one is a modernised version of an already existing F-5. Also, we are hearing there were a great number of private/ knowledge based companies involved in these projects. This is very good news.

Yes, lots of companies involved in the project. See the vid below for the numbers and figures about the kowsar development. And at $7.5 million, it's great value for money and extrapolating to $15-20 million for a possible modern(4th gen) lightweight fighter in the class of the JF-17/Gripen.

which one bro??

The model 3-7400. The other two are newly built.

EbW9HHnWkAMHtZr

EbW9N9sWAAcIfUz

It's not strange that airforce send these planes to acrobat and team and want 5o use it as an advanced trainer.
The airplane is underpowered and till we build a more powerful engine this will be the fate of any plane we build.
Well unless we manage to build the airplane a lot lighter than what it is today.

It's not strange that airforce send these planes to acrobat and team and want 5o use it as an advanced trainer.
The airplane is underpowered and till we build a more powerful engine this will be the fate of any plane we build.
Well unless we manage to build the airplane a lot lighter than what it is today.

Then it seems that there’s no way but to get good Russian Interceptor with ToT. That’s the best Air Force option. With the constraints that Iran is likely to bear in the future , a formidable domestic all around capable fighter may not be feasible. I think focusing on Missiles as an alternative is a logical strategy. Missiles don’t need airfields and runways, but fighter jets do. Also u can’t sent jets to ur proxies. So all around focusing on missiles is a great choice

Still a Long way to go Brothers. This is Just the beginning of a hard way.

Currently We need 3 types of fighter jets. Maybe more but these are the ones came to my mind.
1) close air support/Trainer. We have kowsar for that purpose. It can also be a good platform for testing new weapons and new avionics/engines.
2) Heavy bomber
3) Heavy interceptor

For the case 3, we have old but still capable F14 Tomcats. But its never enough, given the costs of keeping Tomcats airworthy.

For case 2, we have old Mirage and Phantom. Still it doesnt meet IRIAF requirements.

Case 2 and 3 were the very reason for interests in SU-30SMs. This Russian platform can well replace Phantoms and F14 fleet at same time. Problem is, its a grave mistake to acquire Sukhoi without TOT. So the question remains, would Sukhoi Company and Russian leaders agree to a TOT deal with Iran? Possibly but without TOT i believe itd be an absolute waste of Resources and its better to develop a light bomber/interceptor locally. Goodness of a homemade fighter would be, you can build as many as you wish and at anytime you like. No worries for spare parts.

we should reverse engineer P&W TF-30 and mirage f-1 and integrate them. mirage f-1 combat range with 3.5 tons of ammunition is 425 km. crappy snecma atar fuel consumption is 1.01 lb/lbf. for TF-30 is almost 0.7 lb/lbf. it means if we change the engine, combat radius will expand by a factor of ~1.46. the combat range will increase to 600 km... T/W ratio to 0.8... way better than f-16. but these are just speculations and wishes. we should manage to RE some of our heavy/semi heavy engines first. RD-33, TF-30 and AL-21 are good engines for that purpose.

Still a Long way to go Brothers. This is Just the beginning of a hard way.

Currently We need 3 types of fighter jets. Maybe more but these are the ones came to my mind.
1) close air support/Trainer. We have kowsar for that purpose. It can also be a good platform for testing new weapons and new avionics/engines.
2) Heavy bomber
3) Heavy interceptor

For the case 3, we have old but still capable F14 Tomcats. But its never enough, given the costs of keeping Tomcats airworthy.

For case 2, we have old Mirage and Phantom. Still it doesnt meet IRIAF requirements.

Case 2 and 3 were the very reason for interests in SU-30SMs. This Russian platform can well replace Phantoms and F14 fleet at same time. Problem is, its a grave mistake to acquire Sukhoi without TOT. So the question remains, would Sukhoi Company and Russian leaders agree to a TOT deal with Iran? Possibly but without TOT i believe itd be an absolute waste of Resources and its better to develop a light bomber/interceptor locally. Goodness of a homemade fighter would be, you can build as many as you wish and at anytime you like. No worries for spare parts.
I think Russia will agree to Sukhoi ToT transfer with Iran if Iran:
1)Orders a LARGE order of them and
2) Makes the Sukhoi is main jets flown in the IRIAF.

What Iran needs is to develop a "garden variety" stealth fighter platform which it can continue to upgrade for the next few decades. Many nations (other than USA-China-Russia) are developing such platforms, from South Korea, Japan, India, Indonesia and so on. Iran can import the needed components and continuously replace them with indigenous solutions as they are developed. From the most recent air force commander interview, he stated they are working on stealth fighter designs, but we need to wait and see how that materialises.

You're talking about the late 90's and early 2000's but back then Russia was trying its best to establish economic ties with the west. Now after Crimea, the anti Russian semtiments in the west, sanctions and Syria things are different.

Of course if Iran tries to purchase fighter jets from either Russia or China, no matter which model, Israeli lobby and US lobby will try their best to stop the deal. However in recent years with Iran and Russia finding some common ground in Syria and Russia knowing that Iran is a reliable partner, if Iran purchases over 100 fighter jets with technology transfers, then it's possible. Anything less and it probably won't happen.

I keep seeing people on here saying that Iran should not purchase anything without technology transfers. I'm guessing that Iran can maybe get its hands on something like the SU-30 with technology transfers but if part of that deal includes an option to also purchase something like the SU-35 or SU-57 without technology transfers, Iran should just take it. Even a small batch of them can make a significant difference if Iran gets into a regional conflict somewhere down the line, just like the F-14's helped Iran significantly during the 1980's

Everyone has a different opinion now, during peace time, but if a war breaks out everyone will have the same opinion "we should have acquired them when we had the chance, damn it"

It is not an insult friend, but in my view, U seem to be somehow naive.
Didn't you realize that the existence of Israel is not only due to the help of Western countries to the Jewish state, but mostly thanks to Russia, and China. I remember during the 90's and 2000's Israelis and US high responsibles rushing to Moscow to implore Russian leaders to not sell not only S-300, Pantsir, Mig-31, and SU-30 to Iran and Syria but they had been imploring Russian leaders to not equip Iran and Syria with just AK's ammunitions because Russia produces some of them able to penetrate any bulletproof, and Hummers. No use to talk you about ammunitions able to down AH-64, and F-16 like SA-14, SA-24, just as the redoubtable SSN-X-26 in order allow US fleets, to swagger along Iranian, and syrian coasts, and to allow US armored divisions to swagger across Iraqi, Lebanon, Palestinian 's streets. Do not forget that Russia, as China agreed, complied.

The deal U hopped is far to be obvious. Such technology's transfer means a political decision and a very hard choice for the Kremlin's leaders. If there were Brejnev, Kossygin, etc...It would not be a problem, but with this actual administration in Moscow, it would be doubtful.
If they go through this deal, what does it means? It means clearly the end of Israel. Neither IDF, nor US can sustain a such challenge. During Vietnam's war US lost more than 4.000 -fixed wings- aircraft, US's economy was at knees US were expelled out of Indochina, US's puppet regime called the government of South Vietnam disappeared and all against VPAF composed by Mig-21, Mig-17 and Mig-19, far to be the state of the art in that time. Moreover in that time, China provided North Vietnam's army, as FNL with bullets able to cripple any armored vehicles and helicopters. Hence US lost several thousands of helicopters.
Imagine the result now if Iran is equipped with these state of the arts Mig-35, SU-35? It does mean Russia and China will give up Israel, and West. In my view, it would be crazy.

I don't say a such deal is impossible, but in my views it would be doubtful. Nevertheless, North Korea can do it but has not yet the technology available at 100%. However, NK is fast progressing they are able to produce indigenous Mig-29 and its jet engines RD-33 around 80%. They are on the verge to succeed, once it will be done, undoubtedly Iran won't need absolutely Chinese or Russians' hardware.

What Iran needs is to develop a "garden variety" stealth fighter platform which it can continue to upgrade for the next few decades. Many nations (other than USA-China-Russia) are developing such platforms, from South Korea, Japan, India, Indonesia and so on. Iran can import the needed components and continuously replace them with indigenous solutions as they are developed. From the most recent air force commander interview, he stated they are working on stealth fighter designs, but we need to wait and see how that materialises.

Building stealth airframe is not difficult, maybe back when Blackbird was developed when the most powerful computer at the time had the power of a calculator.

Somewhat challenge to build the radar absorbing “skin”, but an Iranian university demonstrated feasibility years ago.

The real challenge is in subsystems, engine, and titanium requirement. I mean what good is a stealthy airframe if it uses an ancient engine that doesn’t allow for supercruise or cool it’s exhaust trails? If it uses 1970’s era radar that cannot detect low RCS objects or illuminate targets at large enough distance? If it has inferior ECW/EW suite that cannot blind or disable enemy communications and radars? If it lacks BVR supersonic/hypersonic missiles?

The easiest thing is the airframe. It’s like copying the airframe of Lamborghini, but having the “guts” of a Peykan. What’s the point?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom