What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

Iran air defence missiles and batteries are our line of defence.
Even f 35 can't come near our borders easily
They are no doubt getting good but Iranian airspace is vast, can't cover everywhere, Can't keep the ground based radars on all the time, anti radiation weapons such as AGM-88 HARM and Harpy will find and destroy them. Having a mobile force in the shape of air superiority fighters that can share radar data with SAM systems would help out greatly.

F-14 is a great choice since the original F-14 already had a huge radar and a AIM-54 Phoenix which was very impressive at the time. Now there are even beter options from Russia.

I would also suggest making an AWACS version of that simurg cargo plane.

What the hell is taking so long? Are they translating every switch and every gauge?
Iranian pilots are undergoing intense training in Russia to facilitate the su-35s entering into operation with the IRIAF.

Still this is nothing, Iran signed contract for s-300pmu2 in 2007 and paid $800 million and didn't receive anything until late 2016

On the subject of IRIAF pilots, is there any reliable data regarding how many hours they fly per year?

On the subject of IRIAF pilots, is there any reliable data regarding how many hours they fly per year?
Me think that the standards what were set in Shah time by US are still valid.

Russians are slow very slow... and Iran is not clever in its agreements and contracts.

It would be easy for iranians to make a deal with russians to build this warplanes in russia and make the facilities there. This would expand russia capabilities, gain interest for russia to share ToT with iranians and be more fast. Russians must accept anything that increases its production of weapons now. That way Iran would win. Yes spend all the money, but do things to improve now.

Iranians F-5 are not enough, even if a new cell or improved,that doesn mind, they don t have the power to have a delivery punch/payload advanced armies fears.

Iranian pilots are undergoing intense training in Russia to facilitate the su-35s entering into operation with the IRIAF.

Still this is nothing, Iran signed contract for s-300pmu2 in 2007 and paid $800 million and didn't receive anything until late 2016
True enough,however western-russian,not to mention iranian-russian relations,were in a completely different place back then.These days the situation has clearly changed 180 degrees in irans favor.
I`m hard pressed to imagine anything that the west could realistically attempt to do at this point as far as russia was concerned that could even remotely "reset" relations back to what they were a decade or so ago.
The same is also quite true for the wests relations with iran,and there one really must give credit where credit is due,the west has done a remarkably good job of burning its bridges with both nations.
Russia these days has nothing to lose by dealing with iran,indeed its now quite the opposite,and if I was the russians I`d also be remembering some of those potentially lucrative deals that I`d missed out on by stupidly towing the western line on iran.

It is not only a matter of Su35 only. Iran need technology for turbofans and turboshafts for new helicopters. And agreed, with Russian-Ukranian war the ToT now is possible. Moreover Russia can find a partner in future projects in Iran, because India and China will be out because sanctions.

If Su35 deal fails, Iran can buy some J10C or J16 even some J17 if needed, but Iran needs a complete actualization of aeronautical industry. But that takes time. And I think Kowsar is enough for mantain a minimum level of IRIAF readiness and combat capability... and their own industry.

So I think it was the most logical election. Russia need wartime factories and Iran needs ToT. Hope the agreement is fulfilled. I think Netanyahu wants to attack soon.

It is not only a matter of Su35 only. Iran need technology for turbofans and turboshafts for new helicopters. And agreed, with Russian-Ukranian war the ToT now is possible. Moreover Russia can find a partner in future projects in Iran, because India and China will be out because sanctions.

If Su35 deal fails, Iran can buy some J10C or J16 even some J17 if needed, but Iran needs a complete actualization of aeronautical industry. But that takes time. And I think Kowsar is enough for mantain a minimum level of IRIAF readiness and combat capability... and their own industry.

So I think it was the most logical election. Russia need wartime factories and Iran needs ToT. Hope the agreement is fulfilled. I think Netanyahu wants to attack soon.
Iran can buy some J10C or J16 even some J17 if needed
From where/who?

Absolutely, there cannot be a more reliable partner and interested one for Russia, than Iran. Even if russians are reluctant they must know by now they are going to be at war for years to come. US cannot let Russia win in Ukraine, that s a reality, whoever thinks other things is incredible naive, not matter if Russia says this is a special operation...

So, China will follow its own way, and i suspect they already have better technologies that russians, they are not so interested in Russia.They cannot be associated with sanctioned countries, at least not for now.

So Russia is forced to negotiate with Iran and make concessions in a win a win situation. If Iran is clever and don t satisfy for potatoes, they will get important things, even if they have to build facilities in Russia and help to impulse its drone technologies.

Don t think Israel is going to attack Iran, even if they have 1000 green lights from the US, but things can be far worse for russians if Poland or other country involves in Ukraine militarily.

Last edited:
Whoever thinks Iran can buy some JF-17/J-10C/J-16 or whatever like that is highly delusive and underestimate the power of the US economy wise

If Pakistan starts to deliver JF-17 to Iran, let's say 8 billion worth of JF-17 for Iran, Pakistan will be immediately threatened of sanctions and boycott before even a contract is made, if any delivery happen, Pakistan will get bombarded of massive sanctions for doing such a thing (delivering such weapons to Iran), there is a whole law that predefine sanctions for any country willing to do that kind of business with Iran, i doubt Pakistan in its current economic situation wants to risk selling 8 billion of JF-17 in exchange of the harshest sanctions possible by the US, no F-16 anymore, nothing.

China never ever proposed J-10C to Iran, the only fighter they proposed for purchase was J-10A, an obsolete version of the J-10.
J-16 is not even for sale as far as i know

Iran has such low liquidity it will be forced to pay a part with crude, something that China doesn't care of.

This is either Su-35 and ToT, cooperation with Russia because they are in the same situation as Iran sanction-wise and does not care of US pressure anymore, or stick with the F-5/whatever project of making their own jet which will take decades and leech a high amount of money, or nothing. Forget China or JF-17, this is never going to happen, nor even a contract, let alone a single delivery.

Whoever thinks Iran can buy some JF-17/J-10C/J-16 or whatever like that is highly delusive and underestimate the power of the US economy wise

If Pakistan starts to deliver JF-17 to Iran, let's say 8 billion worth of JF-17 for Iran, Pakistan will be immediately threatened of sanctions and boycott before even a contract is made, if any delivery happen, Pakistan will get bombarded of massive sanctions for doing such a thing (delivering such weapons to Iran), there is a whole law that predefine sanctions for any country willing to do that kind of business with Iran, i doubt Pakistan in its current economic situation wants to risk selling 8 billion of JF-17 in exchange of the harshest sanctions possible by the US, no F-16 anymore, nothing.

China never ever proposed J-10C to Iran, the only fighter they proposed for purchase was J-10A, an obsolete version of the J-10.
J-16 is not even for sale as far as i know

Iran has such low liquidity it will be forced to pay a part with crude, something that China doesn't care of.

This is either Su-35 and ToT, cooperation with Russia because they are in the same situation as Iran sanction-wise and does not care of US pressure anymore, or stick with the F-5/whatever project of making their own jet which will take decades and leech a high amount of money, or nothing. Forget China or JF-17, this is never going to happen, nor even a contract, let alone a single delivery.

I was a big proponent of JF-17 for Iran and I think it was doable during the presidency of Imran Khan

Even now I'm not as pessimistic as you are. But now there's so much turmoil and political uncertainty in Pakistan that it would be foolish to talk about a long term partnership like JF-17

And as you said, there isn't any cash in Iranian coffers for a large scale fighter procurement. Therefore Iran should build its own fighter either based on F-14 or Su-35 with Imported Russian engines.

As @aryobarzan said, Iran has access to all the ingredients, all it takes is enough political will to put them together and bake a cake.

Last edited:
If Su35 deal fails, Iran can buy some J10C or J16 even some J17
what exactly is J-17

to be fair when they made that proposal , J10-A was the latest model of J-10

china as of 2021 owed around 20 bilion dollar that because of banking sanction they refused to give iran

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom