What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

Upon reflection on recent events within this forum, having seen and experienced first hand debates and outbursts that offer nothing, provide nothing, achieve nothing, but only accomplish release of anger, almost always misplaced, pointless, idiotic, and irrelevant in the real scheme of life, I have decided to end my participation within this forum. I see no point to be here, I can make no contributions, I can make no difference for Iranian people and my beloved Iran.

At heart, I am still that boy whose dream was to go and be a part of IIAF and stand proud with my family members and family friends, many of whom returned to Iran when the war started and happily gave their lives to fight for Iran, even though their wives were still in jail.

I thank you all for sharing your knowledge with me during the time I have been part of this forum, with you.

I thank you all for enriching my life with your knowledge, and making me think in ways I was not able on my own.

I thank you for your perspective. God knows there is so much to learn from others, once we are willing to have an open mind.

It is time for me to serve my country, and the best way I know how to do it, is to start a new forum with the help of anyone who can and wishes to help.

My direct email is shown in previous post. You are all welcome to contact me.

I will not post here any more, nor will I visit this site, as it has nothing to offer me. My devotion and support will go to a new forum dedicated to my people and my country.

If I don't do this, HOW CAN I EXPECT ANYONE ELSE TO DO IT?

God bless you all that love Iran, and god bless Iranian people who have suffered at the hands of others who now poo poo the idea of injustice unless there is anything that has been directed towards them.

Good luck with your lives and keep the love for Iran alive.

As a nation, our time will come if we don't sit still and refuse to accept their bullying.

Long live Iran.

I am not Iranian and have never made interventions in the technical discussions in this forum, but I follow them all to get a broader view from different sources, a real regret to know that I will no longer be able to read here your always interesting interventions. I hope you want to think again, in any case I wish you all the success possible for your new forum.

PS I hope to meet the web address of your new forum when you make it.

Ciao

3950552.jpg

14000816000710637719076593728112_59048_PhotoT.jpg

14000816000710637719076600305401_24891_PhotoT.jpg

Its a great pity that the iriaf never considered an indigenous program to upgrade its f1 mirages to super mirage standard,as the saaf had shown this to be a viable set of upgrades waaay back in 2000.
461e515cc8900_large.jpg

Fitting the mirages with the r-73/aa11 acher,this alone would be a potent upgrade for any of irans western fighters and far superior to any of the old sidewinders still being used.
Why this upgrade alone has not been done years ago is truly baffling,but then I suspect that the iriaf may simply not have the necessary skills to do it.
The other big part of the upgrade was the engine,this was the rd-33 turbofan that is used in irans mig29 fleet.The results of the re-engining were pretty impressive,the new engine offered 10% more thrust, was 350kg lighter,but at the same time consumed much less fuel.Compared to the SNECMA ATAR 9K 50 (7,200 kn), the rd-33 had (8,300 kn).
At 17,000 meters, the service ceiling was 2,000 meters higher, the range at cruising speed increased from 1,820 to 2,250 km. Top speed was voluntarily limited to Mach 1.8 (Mach 2.2 with the Atar engine).
This also would`ve made engine maintenance much easier,as instead of 2 engines to maintain you would now only have one common engine between the 2 types.

Its a great pity that the iriaf never considered an indigenous program to upgrade its f1 mirages to super mirage standard,as the saaf had shown this to be a viable set of upgrades waaay back in 2000.
461e515cc8900_large.jpg

Fitting the mirages with the r-73/aa11 acher,this alone would be a potent upgrade for any of irans western fighters and far superior to any of the old sidewinders still being used.
Why this upgrade alone has not been done years ago is truly baffling,but then I suspect that the iriaf may simply not have the necessary skills to do it.
The other big part of the upgrade was the engine,this was the rd-33 turbofan that is used in irans mig29 fleet.The results of the re-engining were pretty impressive,the new engine offered 10% more thrust, was 350kg lighter,but at the same time consumed much less fuel.Compared to the SNECMA ATAR 9K 50 (7,200 kn), the rd-33 had (8,300 kn).
At 17,000 meters, the service ceiling was 2,000 meters higher, the range at cruising speed increased from 1,820 to 2,250 km. Top speed was voluntarily limited to Mach 1.8 (Mach 2.2 with the Atar engine).
This also would`ve made engine maintenance much easier,as instead of 2 engines to maintain you would now only have one common engine between the 2 types.
The SNECMA ATAR are also not that reliable and prone to flame outs. They are also heavy on maintenance. Ease of maintenance and quick sortie turnaround apparently was not a priority for the design, as the engine can only be split into modules for maintenance at the depot level, limiting field maintainability. The French airforce wrote a pretty negative operational analysis of their performance. I believe Iran should take the next step to produce a high perfromance jet engine as iyt has the expertise and infrastructure. There may be a few setbacks, but eventually it will succeed, just like the good quality and reliability of Iranian drones and missiles now.

if it truly meant for Iran and not on their way for Dubai. then its show how incompetent some of the military planner are, it hover on border line treason . its not even SM2 standard with IBRIS-E and AL-41 engine, a sidestep from the old f-14 in it they ever did not tried to reduce rcs it will lit up in the sky like a Christmas three .
if only that were spending 1/10th of the money they had to spend on those on indigenous projects

if it truly meant for Iran and not on their way for Dubai. then its show how incompetent some of the military planner are, it hover on border line treason . its not even SM2 standard with IBRIS-E and AL-41 engine, a sidestep from the old f-14 in it they ever did not tried to reduce rcs it will lit up in the sky like a Christmas three .
if only that were spending 1/10th of the money they had to spend on those on indigenous projects

You are on opium if you think Russia is giving Iran AL-41 and IBRIS-E.

Nothing to do with the “incompetent military planners”. They would love to get even SU-57. But Russia will not hand over advanced tech. S-300 was pretty old tech when Iran placed the order (Israel had trained against Greece system for years). And TOR-M1 was a dinosaur when Iran got it in 2008.

So best Iran will get is SU-30 in my opinion. I’m skepticism Russia will even give THAT. They probably offered Iran SU-22 lol.

I would love to see Iran produce a world class 4th gen fighter jet, however the fact of the matter is that Iran does not have the resources or the budget.

Iran does not even have a network of communication satellites and lacks the necessary budget

Many of the jets in Iran's inventory are past their expiry date and must be replaced. For example the F-4s and Mirage F-1s among others. An airframe can only last for so long. The IRIAF is really on it's last legs.

Not to mention the fact that Iran has far too many kinds of jets in its inventory. That by itself costs Iran a small fortune in maintenance,.parts, training, procurement, etc

Iran needs to standardize it's airforce. After decades the best Iran came up with was a reverse engineered F-5 and various prototypes that never went far.

Being able to maintain and modernize the wide variety of jets in its inventory is extremely impressive but Iran desperately needs an injectuon of new fighter jets and new technology.

This is what I hope to see our of the deal

-SU-27 variants (SU-30/SU-35)
-Upgrading MIG-29s to MIG-35 standard
-Finally putting F-4 and others in storage
-Mi-24 helicopters and technology to help Iran build lighter helicopters
-Trainer aircraft and technology
-In the future, Armata tank and checkmate 5th gen fighter jet
-Various other parts and technology transfers for ifvs, APCs, etc
-S-400 but only with technology transfer. Perhaps a memorandum of understanding for the S-500 ?

Such a deal would be both beneficial for Iran and Russia.

For Iran its a much needed boost and replacement for its aging jets especially. For Russia it's much needed funding to actually mass produce the Armata tank and SU-57, as well as a victory over China, as well as funding for the checkmate.

With India and Egypt having chosen the Rafale over the SU-35 or MIG-35, and India having rejected the SU-57 outright, this is a welcome relief for Russia's weapons industry.

Last edited:
I understand what your saying but Iran received the latest, most advanced variant of the S-300 when the deal went through.

The C-130 Hercules has been produced since the 50s. The US is still planning on producing more of them for decades. Is it fair to compare a C-130 from 1957 to one built today ? No obviously they look very similar on the outside but the latest variant is a completely different beast.

Russia actually offered Iran the S-400 but by then Iran wanted to get the deal over with and with the S-400 Russia would not give the software codes. To this day Turkey does not have access to the S-400s software codes. Russian technicians are still required to do the vital maintenance. With the S-300 that is not an issue, Iran has the codes.

When it comes to Iran, Russia of course sees Iran as a regional rival and any country that exports weapons wants to keep an edge. That's understandable.

China is a different story. They have a veto at the UN and have 1.4 billion people. But even with China there was a time when they almost went to war with the USSR in the 70s and China could not access modern jets for years.

After the fall of the Soviet Union, Russia was desperate for cash and recently after Crimea the Ruble lost half of its value and again Russia was willing. It's all about timing and right now with US pushing Russia and China's buttons, they're willing and Iran should not pass up the opportunity.

In any case I believe that this deal will be mutually beneficial for both Iran and Russia. I will be curious to see the details as they become available and let's see what Iran does with China. China is going through an energy/economic crisis right now and tensions with the US are high so the time is right for Iran.

You are on opium if you think Russia is giving Iran AL-41 and IBRIS-E.

Nothing to do with the “incompetent military planners”. They would love to get even SU-57. But Russia will not hand over advanced tech. S-300 was pretty old tech when Iran placed the order (Israel had trained against Greece system for years). And TOR-M1 was a dinosaur when Iran got it in 2008.

So best Iran will get is SU-30 in my opinion. I’m skepticism Russia will even give THAT. They probably offered Iran SU-22 lol.

it is a clear photoshop and joke...

I understand what your saying but Iran received the latest, most advanced variant of the S-300 when the deal went through.

The C-130 Hercules has been produced since the 50s. The US is still planning on producing more of them for decades. Is it fair to compare a C-130 from 1957 to one built today ? No obviously they look very similar on the outside but the latest variant is a completely different beast.

Russia actually offered Iran the S-400 but by then Iran wanted to get the deal over with and with the S-400 Russia would not give the software codes. To this day Turkey does not have access to the S-400s software codes. Russian technicians are still required to do the vital maintenance. With the S-300 that is not an issue, Iran has the codes.

When it comes to Iran, Russia of course sees Iran as a regional rival and any country that exports weapons wants to keep an edge. That's understandable.

China is a different story. They have a veto at the UN and have 1.4 billion people. But even with China there was a time when they almost went to war with the USSR in the 70s and China could not access modern jets for years.

After the fall of the Soviet Union, Russia was desperate for cash and recently after Crimea the Ruble lost half of its value and again Russia was willing. It's all about timing and right now with US pushing Russia and China's buttons, they're willing and Iran should not pass up the opportunity.

In any case I believe that this deal will be mutually beneficial for both Iran and Russia. I will be curious to see the details as they become available and let's see what Iran does with China. China is going through an energy/economic crisis right now and tensions with the US are high so the time is right for Iran.
I don't believe that Russia offered Iran any S-400 and even took a decade and court action to get the outdated and questionable S-300 which the Greeks have had since the 90's and NATO has full knowledge of their capability or lack of it as they have never been tested in combat. However, I do agree that Russia today is feeling encircled and threatened by US and NATO and may be more amenable to sell Iran some modern weaponry, perhaps the older SU-30, but I would not hold my breath. China largely operates on economic interest and is a big buyer of Saudi and other western vassal Arab states oil, so I doubt it that China will even sell the J-10 to Iran. The mullahs have also mishandled Iranian foreign and strategic policies to an art form and failed to take advantage of the post Soviet era. Iran has a pretty educated population and a very skilled diaspora, but as long as the social restrictions and stifling domestic environment continues attracting skilled Iranians to develop critical technologies remains limited. Also the economic pressure imposed by the US and EU limits Iran's capacity to obtain modern technology and resources needed for mass aircraft manufacture.

Back
Top Bottom