What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

My choice is the Su-35 and especially the latest advanced version of the Mig-35

Mig35 suits desperate countries like Egypt that lack the basic technologies not Iran having own plans.

If you Ask me, it is a grave mistake to waste resources on Foreign made assets. I just wonder what general Bagheri meant by the signed contracts! And pursuing them.

Mig35 suits desperate countries like Egypt that lack the basic technologies not Iran having own plans.

If you Ask me, it is a grave mistake to waste resources on Foreign made assets. I just wonder what general Bagheri meant by the signed contracts! And pursuing them.
Mig 35 only has sense as additional fighter to SU35 ....IRIAF first choice will probably be larger batch of SU30 + smaller batch of SU35...in case Russian offer exclude their top line of offensive weapons than IRIAF may choose only SU35...that is of course just guess,there are many factors we don't know...Iran was always very strict and they will not buy anything that will not provide real ,strategic boost in capabilities...Mig 35 or J10 for Iran has sense only as additional fighter. Iran is huge and it needs heavy long range capable air superiorisuperiority or interceptor in addition to some also long range capable tactical bomber or multirole platform. This is why larger SU30 + smaller SU35 batches looks good option for IRIAF. And Iran has also existing fleet of F4,SU24 and SU22 with good anti ship and tactical bomber capabilities...Now,I am of opinion that Iran will balance between Russia and China...so they will probably buy from China also...now,it could be something else not related to air force ,but it could also be J10,...I hope we wiĺl hear some rumours. I don't think this contract will kill Iran domestic projects, contrary I think it will speed up things...Iran strategic decisions are all directed to self sufficient military in all aspects, including air force,with this contract Iran will get access to new technologies....S300 contract did not kill Iran Bavar project...in contrary, we saw only more Iranian air defence systems after...I think this will have same impact. In China, new platforms from Russia only boosted Chinese industry since they got insight every time in new technologies with every new platform...Iran military might increase will also have good impact on economy...since military conflict will be even less considered by Iran enemies and will lead for more stable Iran...In every conflict,we saw decrease of tensions after miltary balance ..I may be wrong but I based this opinion on previous experience...Even Iran is not China,I think it will follow same trajectory when it comes military industry..maybe not in same quantity but I expect access to new technologies available on new platforms would speed up things...

request:
part of a share of 4 ++ generation 12/24 aircraft, the contract could include the purchase of engines to be used later for the fighter jet made in Iran, that is similar to what the Chinese had done with the J-10 and JF-17 ?

I told you guys over and over about the status of Iran’s domestic production. You choose all not to listen. Anyone that thinks that Yaseen or whatever name they are calling the 20 year development program for a trainer aircraft was a “serious” project clearly is a fanboy.

I mean the last time it was freaking green with mismatching panels reminded me of Frankstein. I have gone ahead and told you all that the Iranian airforce budget is by some accounts as low as 100M and def below .5B

On top of that, IRGC does not view manned aircraft as a serious necessity over drone technology. And even on top of that, the Shah era stick up their asses in Air Force only want foreign aircraft and are super super picky about what aircraft they will choose. So they won’t blow their limited funds or one chance on a Indian Tejas-like disaster project.

So like I said no funding + picky airforce + lack of intiative from top brass to transform the force (like you saw with Missile, AD, Navy) means basically airforce is dead in water till some genius visionary scientist and his team put together a decent engine on a shoestring budget against all odds to convince brass to change their mind. Disney should direct that movie.
Yasin being green makes it fake how exactly? It had a very thin coat of paint so they could see problems in the flight test while it was flying like if something fell off, also since when was it a 20 year program

Yasin being green makes it fake how exactly? It had a very thin coat of paint so they could see problems in the flight test while it was flying like if something fell off, also since when was it a 20 year program

It shows it was never a serious project but a “hobby project”.

And much like Kowsar being the end result of Saeghe which was the end result of Azkharash (spelling).

Iran’s trainer program has it roots back around the same time just test bed project after test bed project. Never any mass production.

I know it’s hard to accept reality sometimes, but maybe seek a doctor if you cannot.

@TheImmortal ..color of yaseen trainer was just right during flight tests..you should have seen the colour of Osprey when I was working in Bell..I had to look at it every morning in the hanger..as for money for IRAF..obviously they have lots of it if they wanted to spend it .The "Build inside " lobby has lost to "buy outside lobby"..if they actually have a contract.
The rest of stuff about IRIAF WESTERN inclination you are right.

That's certainly correct and I'm very much aware of it. Nonetheless recent contracts to purchase fighters and trainers from Russia are the first of their kind in nearly three decades. What does this signal?

It seems the proverbial term living under a rock suits well here, no offense.

This isn’t the first “contract in nearly 30 decades”. Iran has been seeking Russian aircraft almost religiously and being screwed or rebuffed equally.

The TOR-M1 was Russian refusal to supply MIG-31 after agreeing to it and taking Iranian money.

Iran has been seeking Russian aircraft for a while even outside of what you hear the military declare....after all it would be embarrassing for military to say they signed or talked seriously about fighter jets then nothing happens for the 100th time.

The ball is in Russian court, I’m not optimistic.

1 year after arms embargo supposedly ended and we haven’t seen a single bullet be provided to Iran, let alone an advanced arms deal.

Last edited:
..as for money for IRAF..obviously they have lots of it if they wanted to spend it

They do not. Fun fact IRIAF actually makes money from its reliable repair hub facilities in the Middle East for other countries and itself. The amount of money it gets from defense budget....paltry. Most of its budget goes to overhauling and maintaining the fleet along with acquiring necessary technologies to keep fleet afloat. Very little funds are left for other R&D.

Also regards to Osprey comment, you are comparing a country that has the necessary infrastructure and supply chain in place to build and assemble 100+ advanced aircraft fairly easily and seamlessly.

Iran on the other hand very little infrastructure in place and they lack basic technologies as high grade titanium ovens needed for almost any major modern fighter (F-5 has very little fun fact).

So people who think it’s just build an engine and tommorrow Iranian SU-30 is flying are delusional. Sorry to be harsh. But it’s truth. Unless Iran is prepared committed to spend $1B+ to build out the necessary modern facilities and infrastructure and align and build supply chain management to allow for a 100+ yearly production rate of fighter Jets (trainer, heavy, semi heavy, etc) ON TOP OF the necessary funds to build a true serious effort for R&D into advanced manned fighter jets then all you are going to see is test beds for next decade.

Now I will say this and I have always said this, IF and it’s a BIG IF....if Iran can acquire modern fighter jets (SU-30, SU-35, SU-57, J-31) it will go A LONG way to helping Iran learn what technologies a true next gen fighter needs and how to build them.

Only can learn so much from looking at 3rd and 4th Gen aircraft from shah era along with some degraded Migs acquired after the war.

It seems the proverbial term living under a rock suits well here, no offense.

This isn’t the first “contract in nearly 30 decades”. Iran has been seeking Russian aircraft almost religiously and being screwed or rebuffed equally.

The TOR-M1 was Russian refusal to supply MIG-31 after agreeing to it and taking Iranian money.

Iran has been seeking Russian aircraft for a while even outside of what you hear the military declare....after all it would be embarrassing for military to say they signed or talked seriously about fighter jets then nothing happens for the 100th time.

The ball is in Russian court, I’m not optimistic.

1 year after arms embargo supposedly ended and we haven’t seen a single bullet be provided to Iran, let alone an advanced arms deal.

It's the first effectively signed contract as suggested by at least one of the two sides that I'm aware of.

The Tor-M1 / Mig-31 deal, I never saw evidence for this and to my knowledge there hasn't been an official confirmation. Considering the amount of imaginary reports over the past decades about Iran ordering this or that fighter jet from Russia or China, which proved baseless, I'd take any claim not made by the actual state authorities involved with a dose of salt.

Also, earlier you were claiming the Islamic Republic's top brass which calls the shots has never been that interested in ordering fighter jets, now you're claiming Iran's been desperate to do so. Make up your mind.

Last edited:
They do not. Fun fact IRIAF actually makes money from its reliable repair hub facilities in the Middle East for other countries and itself. The amount of money it gets from defense budget....paltry. Most of its budget goes to overhauling and maintaining the fleet along with acquiring necessary technologies to keep fleet afloat. Very little funds are left for other R&D.

Also regards to Osprey comment, you are comparing a country that has the necessary infrastructure and supply chain in place to build and assemble 100+ advanced aircraft fairly easily and seamlessly.

Iran on the other hand very little infrastructure in place and they lack basic technologies as high grade titanium ovens needed for almost any major modern fighter (F-5 has very little fun fact).

So people who think it’s just build an engine and tommorrow Iranian SU-30 is flying are delusional. Sorry to be harsh. But it’s truth. Unless Iran is prepared committed to spend $1B+ to build out the necessary modern facilities and infrastructure and align and build supply chain management to allow for a 100+ yearly production rate of fighter Jets (trainer, heavy, semi heavy, etc) ON TOP OF the necessary funds to build a true serious effort for R&D into advanced manned fighter jets then all you are going to see is test beds for next decade.

Now I will say this and I have always said this, IF and it’s a BIG IF....if Iran can acquire modern fighter jets (SU-30, SU-35, SU-57, J-31) it will go A LONG way to helping Iran learn what technologies a true next gen fighter needs and how to build them.

Only can learn so much from looking at 3rd and 4th Gen aircraft from shah era along with some degraded Migs acquired after the war.
You are mixing all issue..I OBJECTED buying a trainer when your domestic program is in flight test ...fighter aircraft is a totally different issue.

About funds: they have (I mean the country of Iran)..IRIAF was not priority then...It is now ..if they actually signed a contract..

You are a "Buy" lobby...iam a "build" lobby..I spent 35 years looking and playing with Western tech...over rated is how I describe it.

I do not write long stories but I say build build and build..IRAN can do it..glad there are guys with same attitude in Iran ..that is why Iran is now on the map of defence tech..

Here our resident Baghdad Bob ridiculing me in 2019 saying Qaher news is around the corner and how great Kowsar is vs having SU-35.

The above was in response to when I said Qaher is likely shelved project and Kowsar is at best 3-4 aircraft a year modernization project for F-5 (think Karrar on a micro scale).

Hmmm last I checked still very little Kowsars. Guess Iran is hiding them to scare the USA during war. And still haven’t seen a single flying Qaher 2 years after his great predictions....

Now here in 2021 telling us how much he loves SU-35 and Mig-35.

It’s always great reading his posts. Brings a smile to my face knowing delusional people are allowed to use computers in the timarestan. :laugh:

There is no more than you delirious General TheImmortal especially on the subject of fighter planes. I never said the Kowsar is more awesome than the Su-35, you're crazy!

I said that the Kowsar is a very good fighter in its class and that Iran keeps improving it. Yes Iran hides war secrets. Iran is always further ahead than their public announcement process, ALWAYS! I was not speaking of Qaher but of Shafaq and I maintain my point. Underground, Iran has been working on certain planes for a long time.

That does not prevent having other fighter planes! Take your general pill, you seem very nervous:crazy::omghaha::jester::man_in_love:

Within the next decade I suspect that Iran will purchase several dozen SU-30 / SU-35 fighter jets from Russia and/or several dozen J-16 / J-10's from China. Iran has 150-200 fighter jets in its inventory. Many are simply too old to be reliable or air worthy anymore. The F-4's especially must be replaced after 10 more years of service.

When it comes to China, Iran wanted to trade oil for fighter jets. China was hesitant. However now with China's declining economy and energy shortage issues lately, those variables make the deal more likely than ever before.

Along with the fighter jets, trainers and drones/stealth drones that Iran already has in its inventory, that will be sufficient to keep Iran's airforce afloat. After this decade you will see Iran purchase 5th generation aircraft in the future when they are more common.

As a side note, Turkey is negotiating with the US to purchase another 40X F-16s along with 80X upgrade packages for older F-16s. They will use the funds they deposited for the failed F-35 deal to make the purchase.

I'm not surprised to see Bagheri in Moscow. Russia has been losing a large chunk of its sales to China and in recent years they have been having issues funding their future weapons programs like the SU-57 and T-15. Neither of those have been mass produced yet.

Now with China's energy shortage issues and economic issues, this made it much more likely that the deal with China would go through for the J-10 jets. For Russia losing another client to China is simply not acceptable.

Even 30X SU-30's are worth 2 billion and will likely guarantee future purchases. So the deal is worth more than 5 billion for the immediate future. I wouldn't be surprised if those funds go directly towards producing SU-57's. Russia has to catch up to China when it comes to 5th generation.

it slips solid here!

Russia catching up with China for the 5th generation? This is not serious because Russia is more advanced than China on engines and the miniaturization of on-board technologies. Bigger doesn't mean more technologically advanced.

The Su 57 is technologically superior to the J-20! Better skill, faster, more maneuverable, better weapons, better radar and more. The Su 30 MK detects the J-20

Back
Top Bottom