What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

Chinese Aircrafts especially J-10 not an option for Iran?

JF-17 was really a success for PAK, Iran also could benefit from such a joint project with China.
unlike what every one think, russia is more reliable supplier than china, china didn't provide any support to our f-7 fleet. our f-7s were just capable of firing rockets until air force self sufficiency organization made some weapons for them.
they sold us useless pl-7 that our pilots refer it as rocket, when our air force objected them: that these stuff you sold us are shit they refused to give us newer version and when they saw we are serios about it and maybe sue them, they sold new seekers and we upgraded our pl-7 missiles by ourselves lol. they are shitty weapon supplier.
345855_252.jpg

the first one of right is our version.
some people in air force saying that we bought su-30 and yak-130s from russians alongside with licence production of RD-33.

Waiting give us another Bubble hope, let's to start.
the best thing we can do is making turbofan version of j-85 with 19-30 kn output thrust. we should cooperate with russians to gain new techs and build our infrastructure.

Last edited:
the best thing we can do is making turbofan version of j-85 with 19-30 kn output thrust. we should cooperate with russians to gain new techs and build our infrastructure.
The most important factor to start a turbofan project at now is good funding and managing.
Iran at now can build single crystal super alloy to make turbofan blade, and design, gearbox making, oil lubricating system, spool material, machining technology, blade mounting technology, Tbc making and ....
Also available and the work has started.

There is major problem in your assumption. That is that RD = progress. That couldn’t be farther form the truth. Assuming funding RD will lead to timely progress is flawed thinking.
Research and Development ALWAYS = Progress.

DARPA have a %90+ failure rate of its funded projects. We consider that progress. Iran and everyone else are free to adopt your attitude.

DARPA have a %90+ failure rate of its funded projects. We consider that progress. Iran and everyone else are free to adopt your attitude.

Ignore that guy, he seems to just type whatever comes to his mind without even trying to think a little. R&D by definition involves progress.

I wonder why people in this forum consider Kowsar to be F-5? Because of how the airframe looks like? Everything else seems to be different, at least how I understood. If the internal components are much different, especially radar, avionics, and the missiles that it can be equipped with, why would people consider it to be F-5?

Last edited:
I wonder why people in this forum consider Kowsar to be F-5? Because of how the airframe? Everything else seems to be different, at least how I understood. If the internal components are much different, especially radar, avionics, and the missiles that it can be equipped with, why would people consider it to be F-5?
Good point. I wished they would at least use a different paint scheme just to make it to stand out as different....some American baboons (in other forums)who know nothing about what is going on with aviation industry in iran are saying that Iranians have managed to build a state of art fighter which is 50 years old...

US got their jumpstart when they took top Nazi scientists post WW2 and used them to launch the US to top military arms power and win the space race. If US didn’t have that jumpstart, it would arguably delay the process much longer and who knows if they would have even won the space race.

Iran has areas where it is pushing the limits of technology (for themselves) for example at Sharud Military base there is likely ICBM engines being tested. We are talking about solid fuel engines of 20-30+ Tons. Yet even if with the advancement in technology and computers, Iran still doesn’t have an ICBM equilavent to 1960’s Minuteman. So surely the issue can’t be money?

Air Force is not an area where significant technological development is taking place. All I am saying is that they need a foundation or a jumpstart.

The Issue for Iran goes beyond funding and “spend more in R&D”. That doesn’t mean Iran shouldn’t try or that my viewpoint is a failures attitude, it just means that Iran should consider first bringing their airforce back to 21st century THEN try to make a jump to unique designs.

Kowsar ultimately is the successor of Saeqeh which the successor to Azkharash project from late 90’s. So in 25 years Iran has managed to build an upgraded version of F-5.

The issue right now is, Iran doesn’t have another 20 years to see if F-313 works or whatever heavy fighter jet is on the drawing board. It can certainly have a parallel development program IF it’s current airforce is sufficient to provide protection. That is not the case right now.

That means Iran needs a jump. Wether that means TOT, black market dealings, espionage, what have you. In recent years, Iran has attempted at least once to get its hands on F-35 engine blueprints. So, that tells me the military is well aware of what is needed to make a jump.

When RQ-170 capture in iran, a military official claimed the engine advanced Iran’s knowledge by 20 years! They said such a thing wouldn’t be possible without this event.

What is that called? Yes a jumpstart!

So disagree if you must, in the end Iran needs such jumpstarts outside of its current situation to achieve a breakthrough in this field. Money for R&D is not the only issue. Receiving Outside technology will help propel R&D much faster then trial and error.

Last edited:
View attachment 554596
your good at this. BTW that edges i marked at image should be parallel to improve stealth characteristics.

View attachment 554597
guys any idea which missle is this??

This is a RIM-66 Standard SM-1 sourced from the IR Navy. This was a IRIAF project from the Iran/Iraq War to arm F-4D/E Phantoms with this SAM similar to the F-14A/Hawk SAM project.

I wonder why people in this forum consider Kowsar to be F-5? Because of how the airframe looks like? Everything else seems to be different, at least how I understood. If the internal components are much different, especially radar, avionics, and the missiles that it can be equipped with, why would people consider it to be F-5?

It’s an upgraded F-5 class fighter. Meaning it falls in the role of advanced trainer/light CAS fighter.

At the end of the day it is a upgraded F-5 similar to other F-5 upgrade programs worldwide like Brazilian F-5

Cockpit of F-5EM

DSC0016.jpg

At the end of the day the physics of the airframe dictate that has similar performance to its F-5 predecessor, but obviously improved in technological aspects that you mentioned.

Realistically, if IRIAF were to mass produce these beefed-up F5 indigenous made fighters, then how much of a threat could a few squadrons pose to newer generation fighters like the F-16 or F-35?

When RQ-170 capture in iran, a military official claimed the engine advanced Iran’s knowledge by 20 years! They said such a thing wouldn’t be possible without this event.
That is actually sad. Am not being mean or condescending. Just factual.

There is nothing technologically spectacular about the RQ-170. It is not 'stealth' in the sense that the program had low radar observability as primary consideration. The flying wing design was used because of its long duration and fuel economy advantages. All the electronics were typical commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS).

As far as the engine go...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_TF34
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_CF34

The GE F34 engine is over 20 yrs old by the time we lost that RQ-170. So either that 'military official' exaggerated the technological significance of the aircraft in order to equally exaggerate Iranian's capabilities of 'hacking' or whatever else, or truly Iran's jet engine technology is really behind.

There is nothing technologically spectacular about the RQ-170. It is not 'stealth' in the sense that the program had low radar observability as primary consideration. The flying wing design was used because of its long duration and fuel economy advantages. All the electronics were typical commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS).

The GE F34 engine is over 20 yrs old by the time we lost that RQ-170. So either that 'military official' exaggerated the technological significance of the aircraft in order to equally exaggerate Iranian's capabilities of 'hacking' or whatever else, or truly Iran's jet engine technology is really behind.

First of all, I was talking specifically about engines. Nonetheless only 4 countries in the world have flying wing UAVs Iran, Russia, US, and China. Only Iran and US have seen actual combat, where as China and Russia are recent additions.

Secondly OF COURSE Iran’s Jet engine technology is beyond you bafoon, what have I been telling you this whole time. Iran is reverse engineering the J-85 a 1950’s engine! People here would be happy with a reverse engineered RD-33 which is a 1970’s engine!

So of course when you get your hands on an intact Engine that is more advanced then what you have it’s going to lead to you learning a thing or two.

So I hope this makes you rethink your whole arguement that by pumping more money into R&D Iran can “magically” jump from J-85 to F-135 (F-35 engine).

It’s not going to happen without outside assistance. China has poured tens of billions of dollars into its fighter jet programs and is still lagging the US/Russia in engine tech.

so why your authorities said iranians can't encrypt the data stored in it or something like: iranians can't build something like it, it's too advanced. according to some people in our military we expected US air force or special forces come to destroy the wreckage but they didn't because obama was afraid. youre politicians fucked up and they are trying to save face.

Realistically, if IRIAF were to mass produce these beefed-up F5 indigenous made fighters, then how much of a threat could a few squadrons pose to newer generation fighters like the F-16 or F-35?

Zero threat to F-35 or F-22.

F-5 is not an air superiority fighter and it’s light weight means it’s armament is not suited for air to air combat in current environment. A F-5 could potentially take on F-16 and then it depends on both pilots skills.

But that’s all speculation as F-22’s would be flying with all squadrons and would tear apart F-5’s before they even knew what hit them. Hence why I been saying that Iran needs an air superiority fighter.

The SU-27 if given full TOT by Russia would be a formidable threat and a plane Iran could build in the 100’s.

Now while an SU-27 in neutral terroritory would likely lose to an F-22, on Iranian soil it would have the benefit of Iranian AD systems to defend it and provide ongoing information/data.

This would make the job of the F-22 much harder as it would have to both defend from SU-27 and F-14 squadrons and AD systems.

If I was Iran I would do two things:

1) Completely saturate all cities, bases, key areas with radar coverage and AD systems. Order a large amount S-500 and Bavar-373 while also deploying short range and medium range systems against cruise missile attacks.

2) Have 300+ Air superiority fighters such as SU-27.

This would make any air invasion of Iran a living hell for anyone besides the US military. Also the US would have to accept significant losses in the air for any long sustained incursion.

Again how realistic it is to secure TOT of SU-27, I am not sure. It all depends on after the embargo how Russia reacts, which historically has not been favorable to iran.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom