What's new

Iraq's war against IS terrorism | Updates and Discussions

logo.png
311.thumbnail.jpg

Written by : Tariq Alhomayed
on : Tuesday, 10 Feb, 2015

Opinion: We need Arab boots on the ground to defeat ISIS
After the burning alive of Jordanian fighter pilot Moaz Al-Kasasbeh by the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), a strong response—international in nature, but Arab at its core—is needed, not as retaliation for this abominable crime, but to finally defeat ISIS and rein in the other evil forces wreaking havoc in Syria and Iraq, namely Bashar Al-Assad and Iran.

Months ago I wrote in this paper that the fight against ISIS was at heart a Sunni one, and I believe recent events now prove this to be true. There are a number of reasons as to why I conceive this as a Sunni battle. One is that the lack of a prominent Sunni presence fighting ISIS will leave the door open for Iran and sect-based militias to fill the vacuum in Syria and Iraq. This will seriously threaten the unity of these countries, helping Assad to turn Syria into a country of militias, or bringing about more Nuri Al-Maliki-style sectarian politics in Iraq—or a scenario in either country along the lines of the Houthi takeover of Yemen.

The international anti-ISIS coalition now needs to shift gear and put Arab boots on the ground in Syria and Iraq, bolstering these forces with aerial bombardment. This is the only way to contain and eventually destroy ISIS. Today we have before us a US president who has adopted a policy of “strategic patience” in dealing with a phenomenon like ISIS, a policy he plans to practice until the end of his term in 2016. I’m not bringing this up just to lambast Obama; the man has had more than his fair share of criticism recently. The point of mentioning all this is that our region simply does not have the luxury of Obama’s indolence. For this reason, a full-scale but balanced Arab military mobilization is needed right now. This will include sending in a coalition of ground troops made up of Arab countries as well as funding and arming the Free Syrian Army (FSA), putting them in Jordan and unleashing them from there once ISIS is being elbowed out of the areas it currently controls in Syria and Iraq. Crucially, Assad must not be allowed to benefit from ISIS’s becoming weakened as a result of this offensive. After all, it was Assad who allowed, and directly helped, ISIS grow and become stronger until he could use the group as a crutch with which to hold the world ransom with two stark choices: me, or the deluge. In reality, ISIS and Assad are two sides of the same coin.

A military offensive of this kind would be the most appropriate response to the horrifying murder of Kasasbeh by ISIS. It would also help break this group once and for all and at the same time block, through the support of the FSA, any gains made by a resurgent Assad or ally Iran as a result. Most importantly, though, it would help lay the ground for serious political changes in the region, especially in Syria, and set the stage for a climate free of Obama’s “strategic cowardice.”

I say of all this now because it has become clear that airstrikes will not be enough to defeat ISIS. They will not bring about peace and security in the region either, or strengthen the FSA. Ultimately, everyone knows the international anti-ISIS coalition is just a cover for the Obama administration’s spineless reluctance to make any lasting decisions or take any real action in the Middle East. It is, then, our war, one that will at last truly take the battle to ISIS. But there is only one way to do this: Arab troops on the ground, full support for the FSA, and reining in Assad and Iran.

311.jpg

Tariq Alhomayed
Tariq Alhomayed is the former editor-in-chief of Asharq Al-Awsat. Mr. Alhomyed has been a guest analyst and commentator on numerous news and current affair programs, and during his distinguished career has held numerous positions at Asharq Al-Awsat, amongst other newspapers. Notably, he was the first journalist to interview Osama Bin Ladin's mother. Mr. Alhomayed holds a bachelor's degree in media studies from King Abdul Aziz University in Jeddah. He is based in London.

What about this verse
Here Allah is clearly speaking that he will test his followers and only those who fight and remain stead fast will enter paradise.
Does this verse in any way disallow martyrdom operations .
I say NO

If u want we can have a debate regarding these martyrdom operations with references from Quran and Hadees.

Ok.

First we should understand what is Hikmah, it is like Furqan which is a knowledge to determine which one is right and which one is false and also some kind of understanding about what is the essence of Islam. And so little Muslim who has it, thats why our God say that any one who has it has been awarded of something that is so priceless.

Lets first start this debate from this argument, If our God ask us to pray, of course there will be some regulation relating that action right ? There are rules in term of how we should and should not pray.

In term of war, there are many rules also imposed by Islam to regulate that action. Not killing civilians is one of them. Even we should minimize any damage in our environment while doing that, our prophet just use an example for Muslim not to harm even a tree during war. The essence of this is to act fair of anything and still has compassion to every living thing amid tension and high emotion at war time. Dont lose control that can make our emotion swallow our heart. This lesson is also beneficial during fight. If you have any fight before during your life time, you also can understand that a mad guy can be easily taken down by a calm opponent.

Secondly, isnt it quite clear from Ali Imran 142-143 that ALLAH forbid suicide act even for the sake of winning the war. It is violating the principle of Islam. Beside that, suicide action is like diminishing the chance to be captured or injured during the fight in which can potentially produce much much more pain than just totally quick death. Recent Jordanian pilot experience should speak a lot of that.

Lets us listen again Ali Imran 142-143:

"Or do you think that you will enter Paradise while Allah has not yet made evident those of you
who fight in His cause and made evident those who are steadfast?"

"And you had certainly wished for martyrdom before you encountered it, and you have [now] seen it [before you] while you were looking on.:

Last edited:
Thanks

just one simple question
Aren't suicide and martyrdom operations two different things?

Please have ur say , then i will continue.

Martyrdom is "Syahid" and suicide is just a suicide. Just like another post saying that if you do the trigger by yourselves so it is suicide, no other way you can interpret it otherwise to legalize that action. There is another situation in which you are not the one who do the trigger which is like if you attack a Military base where you dont have any chance to survive and you also dont want to survive, I still see it as a suicide operation. Unless it is in emergency situation where a bunch of jihadist needs to attack a group of enemy in order to let another group (bigger in size) to escape in under siege condition, and if there is a chance to still be alive and escape, so they must use it. It means they should still believe that there is always a chance to survive even though only 2-3%.

Regarding defensive situation, we are urged by ALLAH to face the enemy even though we dont have much chance to win, so it is not suicide but defending our position. But we also have an option not to face the incoming enemy (according to Quran), but it should be done because of a tactical reason, like implementing guerilla war. I try to think just like the way that Ali Imran 142-143 try to explain us.

Last edited:
Martyrdom is "Syahid" and suicide is just a suicide. Just like another post saying that if you do the trigger by yourselves so it is suicide, no other way you can interpret it otherwise to legalize that action. There is another situation in which you are not the one who do the trigger which is like if you attack a Military base where you dont have any chance to survive and you also dont want to survive, I still see it as a suicide operation. Unless it is in emergency situation where a bunch of jihadist needs to attack a group of enemy in order to let another group (bigger in size) to escape in under siege condition, and if there is a chance to still be alive and escape, so they must use it. It means they should still believe that there is always a chance to survive even though only 2-3%.

Yes exactly, but those cowards prefer the easy way. Just a button before they depart to hell. On top of that they target unarmed civillians in a market.

I was not talking about ur imaginations. Now please let me debate INDOS without interpreting in between. That will be appreciated.

Imagination ?

You mean it's my fantasy that ISIS and similar groups send suicide bombers to kill random civillians ? Can't handle the tough truth my friend, what you gonna do now jump on the Al Jazeera comment section instead.

Do you want video's of suicide bombers ?

Bismillah.

I will try to reply back later but I just want to know why it is so important to be discussed....? Sorry I dont know the flag of you, which country is it...?

Do you want to be jihadist mate ? Is it the efficient way to help Islam by doing Jihad at war...? Because there are many ways in conducting jihad, economically, politically, etc. We are not lacking of soldiers willing to die, but we lack unity, economic, and also political power. We badly need people at that sectors.

Some critical thinking here, we all want to go to heaven, but isnt it ALLAH is actually more that heaven....?
What do we feel if we are in heaven and have many things there...?

And what do we feel if we are close to ALLAH and has His ridho...?

Which one is bigger....?

The answer is relative, if we see ALLAH is more worthy so we will feel better with Him. Thats why perception is something that is different in every persons.

Some though from many members at PDF here :

Sufism/ Tasawuf (Islamic mysticism)

Last edited:
The Shia militias that are being targeted must be random civilians for u.
Can't blame u since Sistani has given a ruling for general mobilization .

Just wondering he never fave such ruling when the Americans attacked.

Shia militias emerged after June 2014 when Sistani called for Jihad. Previous to that where did you see large militia's in Iraq for the last time, 2008 ?

Meanwhile your deranged friends have been suicide bombing themselves among civillians for over a decade. Did you forget TTP which pledged allegiance to ISIL massacred over 100 kids in school recently in Peshawar ? Or do you ignore it on purpose.

Now since when have there ever been Shiites or even Shiite militias in Mosul ? Never. But your friends were sending suicide bombers to detonate themselves all over Mosul killing the Sunni population which are ur brothers right . Once ISIL took control of Mosul suddenly all the bombings ended, checkpoints were removed.

@Mussana

I won't give you more examples of them bombing civillians in Iraq as you can find that all over the place.

But let's take a look at elsewhere, Amman 2005 bombings targeting a wedding full of whom ? Civillians.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Amman_bombings

That's 60 dead civillians because of your friends ISIS suicide bombers.

The Iraqi army is and certainly acted as one big Shia militia and that was one of the primary reasons that majority of the muslims loathed it and one of the reasons for the emergence of stronger Islamic State from a weak Al- Qaeda.

The Iraqi army divisions that were stationed in Mosul were mostly locals actually, Sunnis. Yes they chose to let ISIS in but now they're crying to retake it. After all people fall for propaganda of a 'revolution' but then had to deal with the hard truth that it's ISIS instead.

TTP are a fragmented lot . There are over 30 groups calling themselves taliban in pakistan.
And no , the group that was associated with peshawar massacre is no way associated with IS.

With that you're trying to tell me that TTP doesn't kill civillians right ?
List of terrorist incidents in Pakistan since 2001 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Open the years idiot.

As regards to Mosul, martyrdom operations were against iraqi army and they as i said acted as a shia malitia more than anyone.

From your favorite source Al Jazeera
January 2012

Car bomb targets minority in northern Iraq - Al Jazeera English

Attack inside camp for displaced members of Shabak community near northern city of Mosul kills at least 11.

So the suicide operation was against civillians ? That's what your Al Jazeera says.

What about Amman, you didn't tell me your opinion of 60 civillians killed in 2005.

Bismillah.

Verse(143) “You did indeed wish for death before you met it. Now you have seen it openly with your own eyes.”

This ayah refers to those Companions of the Prophet (RA) who insisted on fighting the battle with the Quraysh army instead of staying behind and defending Madinah. They felt aggrieved at not having had the opportunity to fight in the Battle of Badr and thus longed for martyrdom. This ayah addresses them that you longed for death and wished that you fight your enemy, now Allah (SWT) has given you that opportunity, so fight them and be patient.

Now please give me how on earth are these two ayahs i.e. 142 and 143 related to martyrdom operations or suicides as u may want us to believe.

Okay, I interpret differently about that Ali Imran 143. But some words that is not in Quran should be put in parenthesis like the words (Now) and not being merged into the real verse.

Back
Top Bottom