What's new

Iraq's war against IS terrorism | Updates and Discussions

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-usa-iraq-idUSKCN0ZV0CZ

The U.S. military expects to seek additional troops in Iraq, even beyond the hundreds announced this week, as the campaign against the Islamic State advances, the head of the U.S. military's Central Command told Reuters.

"As we continue on the mission, I think there will be some additional troops that we will ask to bring in," U.S. Army General Joseph Votel said in an interview in Baghdad on Thursday, without disclosing a number.

Votel, who oversees U.S. forces in the Middle East, said the size of possible future increases were still being discussed within military circles. He did not offer details on the timing of any requests to President Barack Obama's administration.

His remarks came just three days after Obama's administration announced a 560 troop increase as part of an effort to facilitate an Iraqi offensive to retake Mosul, Iraq's second biggest city.

Most of those troops will work out of Qayara air base, which Iraqi forces recaptured from Islamic State militants last week.

They plan to use Qayara as a staging ground for an offensive to retake Mosul.

Votel suggested future requests would similarly be tailored to particular stages of the campaign.

"We try to tie our requests to specific objectives we're trying to achieve on the ground," he said.

The recapture of Mosul, Islamic State's de facto Iraqi capital, from which its leader declared a modern-day caliphate in 2014, would be a major boost for the plans by Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi and the United States to weaken the militant group.

Abadi has pledged to retake Mosul by the end of the year.

Some U.S. officials caution that retaking the city without a plan to restore security, basic services and governance would be a major mistake and question the ability of Iraq's Shi'ite-government in Baghdad to mend the sectarian divide fueling the conflict.

Votel broadly acknowledged concerns about the non-military aspects of the campaign but said he felt more upbeat after meetings on Wednesday with top Iraqi officials, including Abadi.

"While there is still a lot of work to do – a lot of work to do – I left more encouraged," he said, stressing the importance that U.S.-backed military operations "pay off on the political side."

With the latest troop increase, the United States has an official limit of just over 4,600 troops formally assigned to Iraq, although the actual figure is higher due to temporary assignments.

Obama has opposed recommitting the United States to another large-scale ground war in the Middle East and any deployment of forces to Iraq would likely need to be measured.

Republican leaders this week called on Obama to ask Congress for additional funds to pay for the deployment of more troops to Iraq, as Congress and the White House debate defense spending amid mandatory budget cuts.

NO WITHDRAWAL

As Islamic State militants have lost part of their self-proclaimed caliphate in Iraq and Syria, they increasingly have turned to suicide attacks.

These included a bombing in the Iraqi capital last week that left nearly 300 people dead, the most lethal bombing of its kind since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion.

Votel was speaking before a gunman killed 80 people and wounded scores when he drove a heavy truck at high speed into a crowd watching Bastille Day fireworks in the French Riviera city of Nice. No group has claimed responsibility.

Votel cautioned that even after Islamic State eventually loses Mosul and the Syrian city of al-Raqqa, Americans should not expect a rapid, wholesale withdrawal from the country. "What we don't want to do is declare victory and depart after that. I think we want to see this through," Votel said.

If Islamic State fighters shift to other locations, outside those cities, Votel said it was important to have U.S. military resources in place "to ensure we can achieve that lasting defeat."

"If there's capabilities we don't need, we will remove them. Likewise if there's capabilities we do need that we don't have, we'll ask for them," Votel said, describing an evolving campaign that won't end soon.

(Reporting by Phillip Stewart; Editing by Robert Birsel)

More good news.

Iraqi forces swept up from Baiji to North of Qayara, an unexpected news which totally blindsided IS whom focused on defending only the actual towns of Shirqat and Qayara. The forces took over smaller towns and strategic roads then eventually swerved to meet up with the forces waiting from the other side of Tigris. This has completely cut off Qayara, shirqat, and Hawijah from mosul and laid siege to more then 100 towns and villages.

Engineering units have set up a bridge linking the two sides.

1000 fighters head to Ain Al Assad base to prepare for the liberation of Rawah and Ana.

Few thousands troops are also moving from liberated Areas in Anbar, heading towards Qayara base.

As the frontlines decrease, the focus of the iraqi army aviation and air forces increases. Less frontlines means more resources to focus on a single area rather then being scattered.

IS ability to move in convoys and launch large coordinated attacks is now impossible. Another IS convoy obliterated near Khaldiyah.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/fallujah-in-ruins/

Interesting article here. Basically Iraqi forces with US help completely destroyed Fallujah and now only shia soldiers patrol the city. The same happened with Ramadi. Baghdad treats Iraqi cities like they are parts of a hostile country and prefers to completely level these cities. With 40% of the population being sunni, i doubt if Baghdad will ever be able to rule half of Iraq

Interesting article here. Basically Iraqi forces with US help completely destroyed Fallujah and now only shia soldiers patrol the city. The same happened with Ramadi. Baghdad treats Iraqi cities like they are parts of a hostile country and prefers to completely level these cities. With 40% of the population being sunni, i doubt if Baghdad will ever be able to rule half of Iraq

Iraqi is 80% Shia. Many Sunnis have been killed.

Iraqi is 80% Shia. Many Sunnis have been killed.

Good. I always loved ethnic cleansing. Still shias have about 30% of the population to murder to completely control Iraq. Unfortunately with Kurds having US protection that wont happen so Baghdad will never succeed in murdering all sunnis and "liberating" Iraq

Good. I always loved ethnic cleansing. Still shias have about 30% of the population to murder to completely control Iraq. Unfortunately with Kurds having US protection that wont happen so Baghdad will never succeed in murdering all sunnis and "liberating" Iraq

Have you pledged to Baghdadi allready ?

?

They do that...well...because they re hostiles

I am very happy and proud as a westerner that after the west invaded and destroyed Iraq in cold blood and failed to restore order, now in order to protect their oil, they give backing for a genocide. But hey there is hope. SOME president in 2100 will open a memorial and say that US was wrong apologizing for their crimes. Its what the west knows well (doing genocides and apologizing 100 years later)

When ISIS takes Athens one day, you try not to destroy the city and instead take it back by throwing flowers at them. (I assumed you are Greek, but I think you are not)

When ISIS takes Athens one day, you try not to destroy the city and instead take it back by throwing flowers at them. (I assumed you are Greek, but I think you are not)

Blah Blah Blah. ISIS this ISIS that. Labeling all sunnis as ISIS is a cool trick but has nothing to do with reality. Today there were huge demonstrations by supporters of Muqtada Al Sadr who accused the government of corruption and sectarianism. Is he crazy too? Fact is that baghdad has a sectarian government that cares only for shias and that is relying on corruption to govern. The only happy people inside Iraq that are not shias are Kurds because they are not governed by them and they have autonomy

92 IS members killed during operations on friday in Anbar according to officials. Of course our IS defending friends will call it fake just like the Fallujah op was fake.

Iraqi army forces launched heavy attacks on strongholds of the Islamic State (ISIS) in Anbar province on Friday, killing more than 90 ISIS militants, officials said.

A statement by the Iraqi central command confirmed the death of 92 ISIS fighters in the Anbar raids.

“The Iraqi army troops, backed by an air cover from the Iraqi air force, bombed key strongholds for Daesh terrorists in Anbar province,” the statement said, using an Arabic acronym for ISIS.

“The terrorist group has suffered heavy losses in manpower and equipment in the army attacks on Friday,” it said.

Iraqi forces also launched an offensive on ISIS headquarters in the al-Qaem district near the Syrian border, killing scores of militants and destroying at least four ISIS vehicles there.

Last edited:
Iraq: Army to dig security trench around Fallujah

The trench will have a single opening for residents to move in and out of the city, which is virtually empty since the offensive that defeated the ISIL fighters, Lt. Gen. Abdul-Wahab al-Saadi, deputy commander of the counterterrorism forces that led the successful campaign, told The Associated Press news agency.

It will be about 11 kilometers long and "will protect the city's residents, who have lived through many tragedies, as well as security forces deployed there", al-Saadi said in an interview with The Associated Press at his Baghdad headquarters.

Cutting off all roads but one will allow authorities to monitor the movements of residents more closely.

--

This decision came after meeting with JIEDDO general to counter IED's, Fallujah has prevously been used as the main IED production/supply HQ.

Back
Top Bottom