What's new

Iraq suspends Al-Jazeera broadcast license and other channels

Reaction score
Iraqi authorities have suspended the licences of 10 satellite channels because of a rise in sectarian unrest.

Al-Jazeera TV and Sharqiya are among the channels accused of "inciting violence". A ban has been imposed on their operations across Iraq.

More than 170 people have been killed in less than a week and PM Nouri Maliki has spoken of a "wave of sectarianism" in Iraq that began abroad.

An army raid on a Sunni protest camp on Tuesday sparked widespread clashes.

The protesters accused the Shia-led government of discriminating against Sunnis and demanded the resignation of Mr Maliki, himself a Shia.

The Iraqi Communication and Media Commission said in a statement that the satellite channels had "exaggerated things, given misinformation and called for breaking the law and attacking Iraqi security forces".

The watchdog complained of a "sectarian tone" in the TV coverage and said "undisciplined media messages exceeded all reasonable limits" and threatened to "jeopardise the democratic process".

BBC Baghdad correspondent Rafid Jaboori says most of the 10 channels are Sunni-owned while Qatar-based al-Jazeera is perceived as more pro-Sunni in its Arabic-language reporting in Iraq.

The head of al-Jazeera's Baghdad bureau, Omar Abul-ilah, told BBC News that it was not yet clear whether or not the suspension covered its English-language operations as well as its Arabic programming.

The director of Baghdad TV, which is owned by the Iraqi Islamic party, told the BBC that he was waiting to hear from the authorities what action would be taken.

Hmmm, this seems a bit over the top to me.

BBC News - Iraq Sunni unrest prompts TV channel licence suspension

I hear that the arabian version of Al jazeera is very different from its western type peers, in a bad way

The first attempt by the saudis and the BBC to set up a channel ended in 1996 with many of the staff who worked for the original BBC Arabic Television service going to on to work for Al Jazeera television.
Al Jazeera is basically a propaganda tool used by the GCC........just like like the BBC FOX are for there respective nations,all part of the corporate media.

The first attempt by the saudis and the BBC to set up a channel ended in 1996 with many of the staff who worked for the original BBC Arabic Television service going to on to work for Al Jazeera television.
Al Jazeera is basically a propaganda tool used by the GCC........just like like the BBC FOX are for there respective nations,all part of the corporate media.

I can't say I know much about that but I've seen some bizarre things on arabic al jazeera. It's on different level from what most non arabs are used to

they were doing everything for a sectarian conflict in Iraq: that's why Iraq acts like this.
I cannot blame them for this.

They should stop all the propaganda channels: Alarabiya Aljazeera PressTV and so. Especially everything doing so there is a sectarian conflict there sponsored by the same countries.

The reason why they suspended Aljazeera because they showed full coverage on what was going on in Iraq, just like Syria. Aljazeera did a good job, we respect to those who still shows the coverage. Suspending Aljazeera or closing all coverage shows that they are going to do something worst to the Suuni Iraqis. I already heard the Suuni Iraqi formed an army and called all the soldiers and the police to leave and join so yes this is going to be worse.

Iraqi's getting armed and ready to fight against al maliki

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not ? most FSA guys love saddam so lets listen to his advice when it comes to "Al thawrah" ( the revolution ) he says he willl behead all of them ( the protesters ).

Why not ? most FSA guys love saddam so lets listen to his advice when it comes to "Al thawrah" ( the revolution ) he says he willl behead all of them ( the protesters ).
Why would we hate Saddam Hussein:smitten: Without him, Shias/Iranians cause corruptions in the Middle East and the Muslim countries. With him, everything remains calm.

Why would we hate Saddam Hussein:smitten: Without him, Shias/Iranians cause corruptions in the Middle East and the Muslim countries. With him, everything remains calm.

Lol, did you not get what I was saying.
Listen to that video, I agree with him 100%, anyone that joins the "revolution", all those traitors shall be beheaded without us giving a fu*.

walla saddam ala raasi.

Lol, did you not get what I was saying.
Listen to that video, I agree with him 100%, anyone that joins the "revolution", all those traitors shall be beheaded without us giving a fu*.
walla saddam ala raasi.
haha I know man he managed to crush 1991 uprising. I know you're showing me this to say about al Maliki...but lets just say that you agree with al Maliki doing the Saddamist/Assadist style but I agree with the Saddamist style under Saddam but disagree with al Maliki doing that ;)

haha I know man he managed to crush 1991 uprising. I know you're showing me this to say about al Maliki...but lets just say that you agree with al Maliki doing the Saddamist/Assadist style but I agree with the Saddamist style under Saddam but disagree with al Maliki doing that ;)

That is why your a hypocrite, that is where I wanted to go.
Besides almost everyone is a hypocrite for some subjects, but let us not be hypocrites this time and execute the orders of our beloved leader President Saddam Hussein al tikriti the leader of the republic.

That is why your a hypocrite, that is where I wanted to go.
Besides almost everyone is a hypocrite for some subjects, but let us not be hypocrites this time and execute the orders of our beloved leader President Saddam Hussein al tikriti the leader of the republic.
lol agree:omghaha:

hahaha you just admit to being a hypocrite? Well credit for your honesty, at least. :)

Aljazaaera has been broadcasting tens of hours on Iraq in attempt to stir up a syrian style civil war in Iraq. During the last events they have switched the names "terrorists" or "insurgents" with "teibesmen" in an attempt to make matters worse and gain support for the violence in Iraq.

The Iraqi government has also decided to pull out the Iraqi ambassador in Qatar as a result of thre Qatari support for civil war on Iraq.

Back
Top Bottom