What's new

Iraq receives six F-16 fighter jets from U.S.

Kailash Kumar

Reaction score
Country
Suriname
Iraq receives six F-16 fighter jets from U.S.: ministry

April 7, 2019

BAGHDAD,— Iraq has received a new batch of F-16 fighter jets from the U.S., the Defense Ministry said on Saturday.

Iraqi Ministry of Defense said in a brief statement on Twitter that six F-16 jets landed in Balad Airbase, northern Baghdad.

The arrival of the F-16 fighter jets brings the total to 27, Army Spokesman Brig. Gen. Yahya Rasul tweeted.

In 2011, the government of Iraq signed a deal with the United States to purchase 36 fighter jets type F16. Five batches of the jets have arrived in Iraq.

Iraq heavily depended on aging Russian-made Sukhoi Su-25 jets. In 2014, the country received Sukhoi Su-25 jets from Russia and Iran to help combat Islamic State ISIS.

In July 2011, former Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Al-Maliki doubled the number of warplanes Iraq had initially planned to buy to strengthen an air force neglected during a protracted period when the country relied on U.S. air support.

In 2013 Iraqi Cabinet agreed to give a loan to the ministry of defence with the amount of $1.8 billion U.S. dollars to buy F-16 fighters.

https://ekurd.net/iraq-receives-six-f-16-fighter-2019-04-07

Iraq receives six F-16 fighter jets from U.S.: ministry

April 7, 2019

BAGHDAD,— Iraq has received a new batch of F-16 fighter jets from the U.S., the Defense Ministry said on Saturday.

Iraqi Ministry of Defense said in a brief statement on Twitter that six F-16 jets landed in Balad Airbase, northern Baghdad.

The arrival of the F-16 fighter jets brings the total to 27, Army Spokesman Brig. Gen. Yahya Rasul tweeted.

In 2011, the government of Iraq signed a deal with the United States to purchase 36 fighter jets type F16. Five batches of the jets have arrived in Iraq.

Iraq heavily depended on aging Russian-made Sukhoi Su-25 jets. In 2014, the country received Sukhoi Su-25 jets from Russia and Iran to help combat Islamic State ISIS.

In July 2011, former Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Al-Maliki doubled the number of warplanes Iraq had initially planned to buy to strengthen an air force neglected during a protracted period when the country relied on U.S. air support.

In 2013 Iraqi Cabinet agreed to give a loan to the ministry of defence with the amount of $1.8 billion U.S. dollars to buy F-16 fighters.

https://ekurd.net/iraq-receives-six-f-16-fighter-2019-04-07
Iraq needs more fighters than that. Iraq should go to Russia for Su-30, Su-35 or Pakistani with JF-17. Tactical Report talks of them considering Rafale purchases but I'm not so sure.

I want to see a stronger and more stabilize Iraq, just so we can get rid of ISIS ...

Iraq needs more fighters than that. Iraq should go to Russia for Su-30, Su-35 or Pakistani with JF-17. Tactical Report talks of them considering Rafale purchases but I'm not so sure.

The money is being flushed through the toilet in Iraq on a daily basis, they can easily afford it if not for that.

34 F16s is the current inventory (if all jets are delivered). It would be enough only to provide cover for northern Iraq

The money is being flushed through the toilet in Iraq on a daily basis, they can easily afford it if not for that.

34 F16s is the current inventory (if all jets are delivered). It would be enough only to provide cover for northern Iraq
Iraq should curb Iranian influence by taking drastic measures. In the long run a strategic relationship with the Gulf states will be more beneficial than one with Iran.

Also, what do you think of Jordan assisting Iraq in developing their defense industry? I could see JVs and factories producing Jordanian vehicles, weapons, and items. KADDB in specific started their company in 1999 and has turnovers of over 300-400 million in exports from what I can tell although undisclosed. It would help with supplying the Iraqi military with armored vehicles from 4x4s, to 6x6s, to 8x8s. Albeit there may be some unforeseen difficulties with this. Full product list offered by KADDB here: www.jordanembassynicosia.com/uploadfiles/KADDB%20BOOK.pdf

Iraq should curb Iranian influence by taking drastic measures. In the long run a strategic relationship with the Gulf states will be more beneficial than one with Iran.

I don't see that happening, I see a continuation of the current policy. Working with everyone, US and Iran. That's not even the big issue, the big issue is the corruption and weak governance.

Also, what do you think of Jordan assisting Iraq in developing their defense industry? I could see JVs and factories producing Jordanian vehicles, weapons, and items. KADDB in specific started their company in 1999 and has turnovers of over 300-400 million in exports from what I can tell although undisclosed. It would help with supplying the Iraqi military with armored vehicles from 4x4s, to 6x6s, to 8x8s. Albeit there may be some unforeseen difficulties with this. Full product list offered by KADDB here: www.jordanembassynicosia.com/uploadfiles/KADDB%20BOOK.pdf

I think that isn't a problem, problem is governance is almost non existent. Gov workers don't do their jobs, no wonder half the military didn't exist and Mosul was overrun in 2014. Iraq is not Europe and its people aren't educated or brought up to function in democracy whatever other people say.

I don't see that happening, I see a continuation of the current policy. Working with everyone, US and Iran. That's not even the big issue, the big issue is the corruption and weak governance.

I think that isn't a problem, problem is governance is almost non existent. Gov workers don't do their jobs, no wonder half the military didn't exist and Mosul was overrun in 2014. Iraq is not Europe and its people aren't educated or brought up to function in democracy whatever other people say.
Problem in my opinion was that all the Baathist party members weren't allowed to become leaders hence why the government doesn't know how to rule. I mean look at the Germans, they had a successful government because after WWII Nazi members were allowed to participate in the government and they actually knew how to run a government compared to Iraq right now.

Also, I heard Iraq unveiled its first vehicle which means they must have some type of industrial capabilities.

https://www.janes.com/article/87220/iraq-takes-first-steps-to-producing-its-own-military-vehicles
http://diyaruna.com/en_GB/articles/cnmi_di/features/2019/01/31/feature-01

Problem in my opinion was that all the Baathist party members weren't allowed to become leaders hence why the government doesn't know how to rule. I mean look at the Germans, they had a successful government because after WWII Nazi members were allowed to participate in the government and they actually knew how to run a government compared to Iraq right now.

Also, I heard Iraq unveiled its first vehicle which means they must have some type of industrial capabilities.

https://www.janes.com/article/87220/iraq-takes-first-steps-to-producing-its-own-military-vehicles
http://diyaruna.com/en_GB/articles/cnmi_di/features/2019/01/31/feature-01

One solution is a force perhaps the military gaining more independence from the gov to act as a guardian and fix all this shit, the problem with that is some strongman general will come and probably do a 2nd Saddam round. eventually getting the country in another conflict with a world power.

@The SC Your opinion on the Iraqi Air Force and this topic.
I saw the news a few days back.. I still think that Iraq will stop at 36 F-16s for now and go for 2 Sq of SU-35 and a few Sq of Mig-35..since like Egypt .. the Amramm 120-X is not "available"// So with the Russians at least the weapon suite will be complete..Iraq should arm itself well, it has a lot of assets to protect.. just in case..

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom