What's new

Iraq film seller laments Bollywood decline

Todays films are bit more realistic and down to earth than the idealistic times of 60s and 70s and I like it that way. Have you seen the underworld depicted in 60s and 70s movies. How the Don sitting in a high throne in an underground bunker flanked by a lion and moat filled with crocodiles :lol:. Films like Company really showed how Underworld really operates. Some old timers still whines about the degradation of films..but I say that the Indian films have matured and is treating the audience as matured and not ***** footing around serious issues.

I disagree. The whole point of Indian Film Industry was to provide wholesome entertainment, and not mirror what actually goes on in real life. Those three hours were meant to be entertainment, giving the viewer a much needed reprise from his/her rigors of daily life. Artists had this larger than life persona which every tikku, dhanya and hari wanted to imitate. That was the time when life imitated art.

Now, alas, its the other way around. I do agree that there are some brilliant masterpieces being made by a handful of directors. But then the rest of the lot are crap. Indian films have not matured. And sorry to say, neither have the audiences. Today, you have heroes and heroines, but no actors, no real artists. When I do get to watch Indian movies, I cringe at many a scene. It is embarrassing to watch those stupid loud antics being passed off as comedy, to watch lust being paraded as real love, to watch idiotic moments as being passed off as twists in the story!

Just FYI, IMHO, Satya was a far grittier, realistic and better film than Company. Extrapolating further back, actually that genre started with the Kannada film "Om" - more grittier than even Satya.

Back
Top Bottom