What's new

Iraq and Jordan sign nuclear-energy agreement

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
BRIEF
Jordan and Iraq sign nuclear-energy agreement
The two countries stressed improving cooperation in all fields, including providing Iraq with medical and industrial radioactive isotopes.
download-94-1-880x495.jpg

The Iranian heavy water reactor at Arak. Credit: Nanking2012 via Wikimedia Commons.
Spread the word.
Help JNS grow! Share now:

(August 26, 2019 / JNS) Jordan and Iraq signed a nuclear-energy cooperation agreement on Saturday, according to reports in Jordanian media.

The protocol was signed by chairman of the Jordan Atomic Energy Commission Khaled Toukan and Iraqi Higher Education and Scientific Research Minister Qusay al-Suhail.

Suhail stressed the importance of improving cooperation in all fields, including providing Iraq with medical and industrial radioactive isotopes, reported the Petra Jordan News Agency.

Toukan said the Jordan Research and Training Reactor at the Jordan University of Science and Technology, which the delegation visited, was key for training nuclear engineers.

Other states in the Middle East with nuclear-energy programs include Iran, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.

https://www.jns.org/jordan-iraq-sign-nuclear-energy-agreement/

This is great news and also means that KSA is onboard on this given the close Saudi Arabian-Jordanian nuclear cooperation. Naturally other Arab states too.

Their is also the pan-Arab nuclear association where every Arab country is a member of it. Little news about what is going on with such organizations. Should be strengthened.

Iraq has no nuclear facilities and Jordan has one small 5MW reactor established only a few years ago by South Korea.

But medical isotopes are used to treat cancer, so this is good news for Iraq/Iraqis.

Iraq has no nuclear facilities and Jordan has one small 5MW reactor established only a few years ago by South Korea.

But medical isotopes are used to treat cancer, so this is good news for Iraq/Iraqis.

Iraq can restart the nuclear program in the future, it had it in the 70s. Many set backs have been caused but all that is temporary in a historical view.

Iraq can restart the nuclear program in the future, it had it in the 70s. Many set backs have been caused but all that is temporary in a historical view.
Of course, but AFAIK in the 70s that was mostly with European (French) help?

I don't think nuclear energy is a priority for Iraq currently, but Iraq like every country has a right to the nuclear fuel cycle so if that's a path Iraq wishes to go down I am sure they can succeed.

I don't think nuclear energy is a priority for Iraq currently, but Iraq like every country has a right to the nuclear fuel cycle so if that's a path Iraq wishes to go down I am sure they can succeed.

Iraq with French help (1970s)

Iran with Israeli help (1960/70s Shah era)

Israel with US help

etc.

Iraq with French help (1970s)

Iran with Israeli help (1960/70s Shah era)

Israel with US help

etc.
Iran didn't receive Israeli help with its nuclear program. US started it in the 50s with the Tehran Research Reactor, then Russia build the Bushehr reactor. But from the 90s Iran went through a period of trying to master and indigenise the nuclear fuel cycle. It took 10-15+ years for this to be achieved (under Ahmadinejad).

Iraq could theoretically go through this process faster because there are no sanctions on Iraq. Best to contract Russia for this purpose instead of the US, US could seek to use it as leverage for Iraq's internal affairs and would be susceptible to Israeli influence.

With a period of 10-15 years of serious efforts and investment in the nuclear field I am sure Iraq can make great strides in this area.

Every country should have the right to acquiring nuclear weapons as well. Either everyone has the right to develop them or non does.

Every country should have the right to acquiring nuclear weapons as well. Either everyone has the right to develop them or non does.
I prefer for no one to have nuclear weapons, but I agree with you - there should not be one rule for some and another rule for others.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom