What's new

Iran's drone power

EKIbGTNXsAAZHyn.jpg:large

Regrding the Karrar with E/O guidance, A wide range of air targets will now be within range of "Karrar", a suicide drone with double optical-thermal sensor, capable of participating in operations in all day and night conditions.

What's currently the biggest UAV in development/inventory of Iran?

What's currently the biggest UAV in development/inventory of Iran?

Shahed-129 and Fotros are currently the biggest, however they have been around for going on 10 years now. We know Iran has developed a larger Shahed-149 which we should see revealed soon. Another project is this one:

iranian-drone-mock-up-exhibition-2019-e1571593124148.jpg

photo_2019-10-10_03-22-38.jpg

This could be a scaled down UAV of a much larger HALE UAV project. But I will wait until we have more information.

Iran also has quite a few jet powered UCAV projects in development.

I am personally not interested in this notion of making UAVs bigger, especially non-jet powered UAVs. Unless you're dealing with adversaries with limited to no air defence capability, they do not add much capability and indeed are very vulnerable. What I am excited about however are jet powered UCAV, especially swarm systems. An example (which I mentioned few days ago) is this Iranian "Sejill" project for the Iranian Navy:

Initial information released by TasnimNews:

Maximum speed : 1000km/h

Propulsion: 2 Jet engines (Iranian made jet engines)

Designed to be launched from ships with Parachute landing *Equipped with 100km range glidebombs

1398090615502181518982444.jpg

13980906160124129189825410.jpg

https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/...bat-drone-with-jet-engines-designed-commander

Such system with A2A capability will be built as well, and you imagine the devastation a swarm of these can inflict.

I am personally not interested in this notion of making UAVs bigger, especially non-jet powered UAVs. Unless you're dealing with adversaries with limited to no air defence capability, they do not add much capability and indeed are very vulnerable. What I am excited about however are jet powered UCAV, especially swarm systems. An example (which I mentioned few days ago) is this Iranian "Sejill" project for the Iranian Navy:

Initial information released by TasnimNews:

Maximum speed : 1000km/h

Propulsion: 2 Jet engines (Iranian made jet engines)

Designed to be launched from ships with Parachute landing *Equipped with 100km range glidebombs

1398090615502181518982444.jpg

13980906160124129189825410.jpg

https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/...bat-drone-with-jet-engines-designed-commander

Such system with A2A capability will be built as well, and you imagine the devastation a swarm of these can inflict.
the other day i was thinking about how turkey downed Syrian su-22 allegedly outside of AMRAAM's no escape zone range. i was thinking we know that the owj-j-85 engine which we are producing is not that powerful for a manned aircraft. so what if we make a drone like sejill or sofreh mahi powered with two owj engines and exclude any other subsystems which usually are integrated to a fighter jet. just a data link between an AWACS and these drones. two owj can produce three tons of thrust so with a really low T/W ratio of 0.2, the drone can have a 15 tons maximum take off weight. even if the empty drone weights more than an F-5 (~4 tons) and around like 6 tons, still you can carry up to 9 tons of fuel and ammunition. if each drone carry's 4 fakour missile internally still it will have room for 7 tons of fuel. f-5 internal fuel capacity is around 2 tons. it's 3.5 times more fuel. f-5 with 2.8 tons of munitions attached to it's pylons can travel about 300 km now this drone with two tons of payload and 7 tons of fuel can achieve around 1500 km of combat range (considering it's lift to drag ratio is the same as f-5).
we just need to build our own AWACS and guide our drones and missiles with it. seems like US is trying to do the same with loyal wingman drone:
https%3A%2F%2Fapi.thedrive.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F02%2Fasdadadadvv.jpg%3Fquality%3D85

the other day i was thinking about how turkey downed Syrian su-22 allegedly outside of AMRAAM's no escape zone range. i was thinking we know that the owj-j-85 engine which we are producing is not that powerful for a manned aircraft. so what if we make a drone like sejill or sofreh mahi powered with two owj engines and exclude any other subsystems which usually are integrated to a fighter jet. just a data link between an AWACS and these drones. two owj can produce three tons of thrust so with a really low T/W ratio of 0.2, the drone can have a 15 tons maximum take off weight. even if the empty drone weights more than an F-5 (~4 tons) and around like 6 tons, still you can carry up to 9 tons of fuel and ammunition. if each drone carry's 4 fakour missile internally still it will have room for 7 tons of fuel. f-5 internal fuel capacity is around 2 tons. it's 3.5 times more fuel. f-5 with 2.8 tons of munitions attached to it's pylons can travel about 300 km now this drone with two tons of payload and 7 tons of fuel can achieve around 1500 km of combat range (considering it's lift to drag ratio is the same as f-5).
we just need to build our own AWACS and guide our drones and missiles with it. seems like US is trying to do the same with loyal wingman drone:
https%3A%2F%2Fapi.thedrive.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F02%2Fasdadadadvv.jpg%3Fquality%3D85

Yes, this is a picture of we can expect in the future. Iran is one of top jet powered UAV users at this time so I am expecting great things in the future. With regards to the J-85/OWJ engine, even that engine could power UCAV projects, but remember, we have new and better engines in the works.

A small air breathing missile for UAV.

Akhgar miniature cruise missile specifications:
weight: 27kg
length: 1.7m
diameter: .13m
warhead: 7kg
engine: jet engine (.181kN) thrust
operational range: 30km
speed: 600km/h
guidance: electro-optical
fuel capacity: 3.5 liter

screen-shot-2019-03-14-at-17-47-15-png.546356

screen-shot-2019-02-28-at-21-46-48-png.543059

screen-shot-2019-03-14-at-17-46-48-png.546357

screen-shot-2019-03-14-at-17-47-36-png.546358

screen-shot-2019-03-14-at-17-47-46-png.546359

no bro, unfortunately i was not aware of it.

There was also another UAV engine called "Chamrosh" that was being developed. Iran has many engines in development today. A country that can produce jet engines, should be able to produce these other engines with relative ease.

Back
Top Bottom