What's new

Iran's drone power

At 7:25 you can see the stealthy Simorgh UCAV dropping the bomb from its internal weapon bay.

13971223000746_PhotoI.jpg

Drones are good against rag tags but they are easy prey for modern jet fighters since they lack air to air combat capability.

The most impressive use of UAVs in recent time was the attack of the Iranian UAV on the Saudi Abqaiq. Not only did the Patriot and other air defence not down a single one, but they're still unable to say where these UAVs came from!

saudi-strike-2-ap_19258692989788_wide-e165d9247dccc39d3f802553bae636c0b131182e.jpg

Talk about precision.

Drones are good against rag tags but they are easy prey for modern jet fighters since they lack air to air combat capability.

In a few years you will see swarm of Iranian UAV armed with air to air missiles. I don't see unmanned vehicles overtaking manned systems anytime soon, but they will not be as "easy prey" as you are saying now.

Iran navy is developing a new twin engined UCAV called "Sejill". This UCAV will have a top speed of 1000km/h, it is 6 meters and will carry air to ground bombs with 100-200km range. Further development could give it air-air capability.
sejil-image01.jpg

This is just one small example. Many jet powered UCAVs are in the works.

Last edited:
This article gave me a rather good amount of amusement. Interesting how even such a historically anti-Iran channel such as Fox News is deciding to wake up and smell the coffee. Frankly, Iranian UAV capability is still little compared to where it will be in the future.

Drone superpower? Iran’s arsenal of unmanned aerial vehicles should not be underestimated, expert warns

The recent flare-up between the U.S. and Iran has thrust Tehran’s military capabilities into the spotlight. While tensions appear to be de-escalating in the region, experts have been weighing the potential threat posed by Iran’s drone firepower.

Seth J. Frantzman, executive director of the Middle East Center for Reporting and Analysis, told Fox News that Iran has been using drones for decades. “Iran began its drone program during the Iran-Iraq war with UAVs [Unmanned Aerial Vehicles] such as the Mohajer and Ababil series,” he explained via email. “Iran is very proud of its success in creating an indigenous drone industry and pioneering its own UAVs.”

Iran has a sophisticated line of drone technology, which continues to expand, Frantzman, the author of “After ISIS: America, Iran and the struggle for the Middle East,” added.

Iran’s PressTV, for example, has touted the country’s progress in drone development and its technology has already been deployed outside the country’s borders.

It is not clear how many drones Iran has at its disposal, although the country has been ramping up its drone activity in recent years.

In 2014, for example, footage emerged of an Iranian-made “Shahed-129” drone flying over the Syrian capital of Damascus. That UAV, described as a similar size and shape to a Predator drone, is said to have an operating range of up to 2,000 km (1,243 miles), according to David Cenciotti, who writes The Aviationist blog.

“Last year [Iran] began using a new drone unit within the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps,” Frantzman told Fox News. “It has exported drone technology to Hezbollah in Lebanon and the Houthi rebels in Yemen. Iranian drones have been used by the Houthis frequently against Saudi Arabia's armed forces and against airports and infrastructure.”

The expert cited last year’s attack on an oil facility in Abqaiq, Saudi Arabia, as evidence of Iran’s drone firepower. “The Abqaiq attack in September 2019 was evidence of just how sophisticated the drone program has become, using a drone swarm to attack oil facilities with precision,” he said. “I've argued Iran is a ‘drone superpower’ considering its' expansion of its UAV arm in recent years.”

Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels claimed responsibility for the attack, although the U.S. accused Iran of launching it. Tehran has denied the allegations.

The U.S. government has already highlighted Iran’s drone capabilities. In a Worldwide Threat Assessment released by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence in January 2019, officials cited Iran’s use of drones against ISIS in Syria. “Iran’s retaliatory missile and UAV strikes on ISIS targets in Syria following the attack on an Iranian military parade in Ahvaz in September [2018] were most likely intended to send a message to potential adversaries, showing Tehran’s resolve to retaliate when attacked and demonstrating Iran’s improving military capabilities and ability to project force,” the report said.

Article is quite long, read rest here:
https://www.foxnews.com/tech/drone-superpower-iran-arsenal-unmanned-aerial-vehicles

Iran gets parts from its main backers China and Russia. .

Do you have any evidence for this claim? What parts are referring to here? In fact the Russians have in the past shown interest to purchase from Iran, I have yet to see evidence for the reverse:

In remarks on the sidelines of the International Aviation and Space Show in Russia (MAKS 2019), Director of Iran’s Aviation Industries Organization (AIO) Brigadier General Abdolkarim Banitarafi said Russia has offered to buy unmanned aircraft from Iran.

https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/2019/08/29/2086050/russia-eager-to-buy-iranian-drones-general

Russia is catching up in UAV technology, but its currently not at the level to offer Iran much. As for China, they're quite advanced in the sector but I have yet to see cooperation between them and Iran.

Iran has been developing UAVs since the 80's. It's not a new comer to this arena.

Last edited:
Do you have any evidence for this claim? What parts are referring to here? In fact the Russians have in the past shows interest to purchase from Iran, I have yet to see evidence for the reverse:

https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/2019/08/29/2086050/russia-eager-to-buy-iranian-drones-general

Russia is catching in UAV technology, but its not at the level to offer Iran much. As for China, they're quite advanced in the sector but I have yet to see cooperation between them and Iran.

Iran has been developing UAVs since the 80's. It's not a new comer to this arena.

Computer chips. Thermal.

Iran drone better than turkey drone right?

Iran and Turkey have both made very good development in this area with good projects. Nations tend to have different goals in mind, it's not always easy to make comparison.

Computer chips. Thermal.

I can't comment on chips because there is no information available. But thermal? My friend, Iran has has developed countless thermal cameras. I am unsure where you are getting your information. Please share.

Iranian "stealth" UAV shot down by Israel:

About the same. Turkey used to get parts from EU and US. Iran gets parts from its main backers China and Russia. After Israel lobby Turkey cannot get parts from EU and US anymore due to Turkey's expansionism policy.
The fuk are you talking about dude? :what:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom