What's new

Iran's domestic advanced jet trainer "Yasin"

Superb.

Endurance figures and max speed figures seems to be wrong.

As for the range the Saab 105 uses 2 less powerful version of the J-85's and it has a furry range of over 2000km and you can compare this aircraft to other aircrafts powered by 2 none afterburner versions of the J-85's so 1,500km seems about right and if anything it seems to be a rounded down figure.

The ONLY figure so far that doesn't make sense to me is the 5.5 ton Empty weight! That's a bit off, I'd say that figure is more likely the standard loaded weight and NOT the empty weight. By comparison that's over twice the empty weight of the Jl-8(k-8)

As for the Airframe, the design it's self will allow for +Mach 0.9 max speeds and the engines themselves under the right conditions are more than capable of achieving those speeds however that's if the thrust to weight ratio of the aircraft allows it.

One of Iran's goals in producing this type of trainer was to have a subsonic aircraft to train pilots at higher G's at higher speeds with controlled high G maneuvers so it's possible that they overdid structural integrity on the 1st flying prototype however a lot of these specs will likely change if the aircraft is actually taken into serial production and the production cost would have to make sense for that to happen.

As for the range the Saab 105 uses 2 less powerful version of the J-85's and it has a furry range of over 2000km and you can compare this aircraft to other aircrafts powered by 2 none afterburner versions of the J-85's so 1,500km seems about right and if anything it seems to be a rounded down figure.

The ONLY figure so far that doesn't make sense to me is the 5.5 ton Empty weight! That's a bit off, I'd say that figure is more likely the standard loaded weight and NOT the empty weight. By comparison that's over twice the empty weight of the Jl-8(k-8)

As for the Airframe, the design it's self will allow for +Mach 0.9 max speeds and the engines themselves under the right conditions are more than capable of achieving those speeds however that's if the thrust to weight ratio of the aircraft allows it.

One of Iran's goals in producing this type of trainer was to have a subsonic aircraft to train pilots at higher G's at higher speeds with controlled high G maneuvers so it's possible that they overdid structural integrity on the 1st flying prototype however a lot of these specs will likely change if the aircraft is actually taken into serial production and the production cost would have to make sense for that to happen.

It's lastest MAKS 2019 data is 4600kg, which is at Mig-AT level.

Why does it look like it was put together from different parts of different planes?

Thing looks like Frankenstein. They couldn’t give it a unified paint scheme?

Looks old as well
It’s a testing prototype not a production prototype. It looks old because they’ve performed tests and probably changed and modified tons! Overall a good sign I would say, before going mass production!

Why does it look like it was put together from different parts of different planes?

Thing looks like Frankenstein. They couldn’t give it a unified paint scheme?

Looks old as well
Well, I do agree as far as it looking unkempt but it's a new design, all indigenous design. I can tell you it may not look like much but to make a jet is not small feat....to make a jet when you can't even import materials, is a nothing short of a miracle for Iran.

While this is certainly an impressive achievement for Iran given the circumstances, I would sincerely advise everyone to exercise extreme caution and to temper all expectations when it comes to Iranian manned aircraft production, especially regarding jet development.

This is a well known troublesome issue for Iran and until we see a dramatic increase in funding being put into rebuilding Iran's air-force, we can't expect to see decent or even half-way decent aircrafts being rolled out by Iranian engineers. What we should expect is something viable and flyable but not too closely comparable to Western or Eastern contemporaries (Western Aviation technology, manufacturing infrastructure, quality control is the best around). The level of tech and manufacturing quality within Iran to build jets that look "impressive" or "cool" just isn't there, it just isn't. Not saying Iran can't get there if it put it's resources into it, just saying that for now it doesn't seem to be all there so to say.

Make no mistake though gentlemen, Iran is on the right path that and hopefully the air-force will be addressed just as the Air-defense and Missile-force were addressed before it!!!

Last edited:
This plane is not new nor is the project high priority.

Given I saw pictures of this project AT LEAST 3 years ago. Reason would stipulate that the project has existed for AT LEAST 5 years if not up to 10 years.

10 years and still a lousy prototype?

This project is once again another one of Iran’s demonstration project.

With then syrian war and severe economic sanctions, expecting significant money to such projects is borderline ignorant.

This project like the Attack Helicopter prototype we were shown a couple years ago is stalled.

At best Iran would do a limited production run (less than 50 aircraft maybe as little as 1-2 squadrons) and at worst this project gets dropped for Yak-130 when arms embargo drops.

I have zero expectations for this project. After the national embarrassment that was Qaher.

Iran’s Air Force fighter jet development is an embarrassment by those at the top that constantly spread propaganda and false promises.

Given I saw pictures of this project AT LEAST 3 years ago. Reason would stipulate that the project has existed for AT LEAST 5 years if not up to 10 years.

With then syrian war and severe economic sanctions, expecting significant money to such projects is borderline ignorant.

This project like the Attack Helicopter prototype we were shown a couple years ago is stalled.

At best Iran would do a limited production run (less than 50 aircraft maybe as little as 1-2 squadrons) and at worst this project gets dropped for Yak-130 when arms embargo drops.

I have zero expectations for this project. After the national embarrassment that was Qaher.

Iran’s Air Force fighter jet development is an embarrassment by those at the top that constantly spread propaganda and false promises.

If finance is an issue, then one shouldn't expect buying Yaks as they would cost more. Iran has better bang for the buck if it builds one or two squadrons. The purpose of this aircraft is to train pilots. CAS role is an after thought.

Don't compare this to Qaher, I think this is a real project that's been in the making for a long time.....I'm willing to bet you will actually see the production line in the near future.

Whats important is what you get for your money.

As VEVAK said, its relatively high empty weight may be due to its high G rating, like the 8g rated Mig-AT.
Engine is internal which drastically pushes down costs.
Layout is for good view and high maneuverability: Generally similar to the AT-3 it has all moving elevators compared to the also similar Mig-AT.

So what you get at the end is:
- Advanced trainer that can train the pilot on high G maneuvers
- Low cost due to fully internal components, even including the engines
- High maneuverability due to large control surfaces and wing area (instant G)
- Very good view
- High speeds and acceleration for an advanced trainer
- Low maintenance airframe and engines
- Excellent spare part availability and availability of ALL parts for serial production
- A very cost effective/simple design without unnecessary extras

So you get a AT that can simulate subsonic characteristics of a high performance fighter such as the Mig-29.

Downside?
Engine is turbojet with lower fuel economy, endurance and range.
Are the pros worth the contras? I think so, given that Iran is a kerosene producing country.
It may not be attractive to a country that has to pay a high price for kerosene.

Btw: I think it came late because the industry was not yet ready to supply for its serial production. It was also planned to use a foreign turbofan engine and this was probably forbidden due to the sanctions. Changing the engine and making it 1000kg lighter, changed the schedule.

Yasin, Qaher, Fotros, Fakour, air born radars, and a dozen of other aviation projects belong to the Ahmadinejad era, all suspended when the Rouhani f@cker cut 85% of the defense ministry's budget, all of them have been suspended or advanced with minimum speed.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom