What's new

Iranian Space program

Back into Space topics:..after boosting civilian space budget by 12 folds here are the next steps:

Rebuilding of Iran's "civilian" space program has started :cheesy:

Some important points from the interview with Iran's Space research boss:
View attachment 830435
  • 30 issues identified (space related activities)
  • selection of tasks performers will done
  • multiple space related project on-going and will be delivered this year
  • New test facilities with specific emphasis on propulsion is give highest national importance
  • Augmentation of current test facilities
  • Participation of Private sector
  • Transfer of space technology to other Iranian Industry

More talk and statements. It’s been over a decade, you cannot blame Rouhani for 14 years of ineptitude and mismanagement of Space agency. Yes he wasn’t a pro space proponent.

But IRGC has done two launches in 2 years and under Raisi we have had 2-3 failed launches.

It’s time for actual results, not press release statements about what they promise to do.

More talk and statements. It’s been over a decade, you cannot blame Rouhani for 14 years of ineptitude and mismanagement of Space agency. Yes he wasn’t a pro space proponent.

But IRGC has done two launches in 2 years and under Raisi we have had 2-3 failed launches.

It’s time for actual results, not press release statements about what they promise to do.
Well as you noticed they did not promise another launch ..which is a good sign...all they put up is how they will fix the issues that resulted from Rouhani gutting the agency...30 issues..so let's wait and see..I be the first one blasting them if this turns out to be just talks..lol

Well as you noticed they did not promise another launch ..which is a good sign...all they put up is how they will fix the issues that resulted from Rouhani gutting the agency...30 issues..so let's wait and see..I be the first one blasting them if this turns out to be just talks..lol

Remember when they announced a new satellite every few months? At this point Iran should have about 30+ sats just sitting in a closet.

There’s a funding issue most likely. We went from space by 2025 to hopefully GEO launch by 2025-2030

Remember when they announced a new satellite every few months? At this point Iran should have about 30+ sats just sitting in a closet.

There’s a funding issue most likely. We went from space by 2025 to hopefully GEO launch by 2025-2030
I have no issue with them to give more realistic date for GEO orbit..as long as they do not push it back...and I hope they drop manned space flight...what we need is a well thought of way ahead plan..US launch was postponed today so shit happens...lol

I have no issue with them to give more realistic date for GEO orbit..as long as they do not push it back...and I hope they drop manned space flight...what we need is a well thought of way ahead plan..US launch was postponed today so shit happens...lol
Space should be #1 priority when it comes to military. It's good that they have reached the stage for an all solid-fueled SLV that can carry a solid payload. Rafee + Salman + 3rd Stage mini engine would be the basis for a network of Sats. Progress can be arguably slow, but we can see the pieces are being developed. Shouldn't waste time and funds on manned flight, which is useless for Iran. Iran needs real capability enhancers.

I can't think of anything more important than a large network of satellites for SIGINT, ELINT, Images, SAR recon, reliable and encrypted Communications. Nothing more important than intelligence in todays world. Knowing is half the battle right?

Edit: I must say such a capability is very financially intensive, the SLVs alone would cost several million dollars a piece, and the Sats of good quality are also expensive. But the enhancers are necessary and achievable over time.

Last edited:
You clearly haven’t been following space development if you think launches cost “multi-billion dollars”

Rocket Lab and SpaceX are companies sending up rockets to LEO and GSO/GEO for fractions of cost.

Rocket Lab in particular launches satellites to LEO for $5M per ride and that can be shared via multiple companies if they are all “sharing” a ride.

So quite cheap for Western cost of business. Simorgh likely costs $1-2M per launch by comparison and not cheap when converted to Toman and Iranian cost of business.
Would not be surprised if a Rafee + Salman + 3rd Stage engine (seen on the Noor-2 launch) would cost upwards of $5million + the Sat itself.

Would not be surprised if a Rafee + Salman + 3rd Stage engine (seen on the Noor-2 launch) would cost upwards of $5million + the Sat itself.

I wouldn’t say that much.

If a Qiam costs somewhere between 100K-250K USD and Simorgh costs $1M

Then I doubt salman while being new tech would add on another $4M. Just guessing at this point until we find what a export F-110 is selling for by Iran we can then begin extrapolation of cost to other missiles.

But we all make assumptions on Iranian cost and some vague indications by Hajizadeh.

I wouldn’t say that much.

If a Qiam costs somewhere between 100K-250K USD and Simorgh costs $1M

Then I doubt salman while being new tech would add on another $4M. Just guessing at this point until we find what a export F-110 is selling for by Iran we can then begin extrapolation of cost to other missiles.

But we all make assumptions on Iranian cost and some vague indications by Hajizadeh.
Fair point.

What's causing progress to be slow then if not the cost burden. The difficulty in making a viable Sat?

Fair point.

What's causing progress to be slow then if not the cost burden. The difficulty in making a viable Sat?
Developing the launcher,and the biggest part of that is ensuring the reliability of all of its stages.This was what caused the simorgh its biggest problems,the unreliability of the 2nd and 3rd stages.
Iran probably could have had the simorgh up and running withing a fairly short time [a few years] had there not been the political interference that resulted in the near shutting down of the space program.
The biggest problem tho,aside from rouhani,was the fact that the technology that iran was forced to use/adapt/repurpose for the simorgh was always going to limit what it could ultimately achieve,thats assuming of course that it all worked,which it didnt.

Does Iran have plans for a manned space program?
Yes ...As it stand now ..but Iran's civilian space program is being reviewed as we speak and we will soon know if that goal is still standing....Many including myself think that a manned space program for Iran is will be too expensive for a country under sanctions and the $$$ can be much better spent on Satellites of higher capability and more powerful SLVs.

Yes ...As it stand now ..but Iran's civilian space program is being reviewed as we speak and we will soon know if that goal is still standing....Many including myself think that a manned space program for Iran is will be too expensive for a country under sanctions and the $$$ can be much better spent on Satellites of higher capability and more powerful SLVs.

Manned program can be done by replacing the satellite capsule on the Soroush SLV or Soroush-2 SLV with a small 1-2 man capsule.

I would assume Soroush first launches in 2030 and Soroush 2 in 2035 assuming a slow pace in Iran’s development.

1649250849788.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom