What's new

Iranian Space program

Heres an interesting thread where the poster posits a sub one million dollar recon sat built using cots with around a 1 meter resolution.
Now I dont know how viable this is,but it does give one something to think about.

It 's humorous how Iran hauls a rocket over, points it up, and injects a satellite precisely into orbit. Bedooneh dak o fang...🤣.

...and in total contrast with Western fancy and scripted scripted multi-billion dollar launches designed for show while large portions of their populations go without basic provisions. Same goes with how Iran fights its wars on the practical side vs the Hollywood polluted multibillion dollar a day wars the US has fought with the pretty and very shiny gear. Today, Russia is also showing how an entire region can be brought to heel on the cheap. Nothing fancy--some breakdowns, some uglies, some time (maybe?), but it works.

It 's humorous how Iran hauls a rocket over, points it up, and injects a satellite precisely into orbit. Bedooneh dak o fang...🤣.

...and in total contrast with Western fancy and scripted scripted multi-billion dollar launches designed for show while large portions of their populations go without basic provisions. Same goes with how Iran fights its wars on the practical side vs the Hollywood polluted multibillion dollar a day wars the US has fought with the pretty and very shiny gear. Today, Russia is also showing how an entire region can be brought to heel on the cheap. Nothing fancy--some breakdowns, some uglies, some time (maybe?), but it works.

You clearly haven’t been following space development if you think launches cost “multi-billion dollars”

Rocket Lab and SpaceX are companies sending up rockets to LEO and GSO/GEO for fractions of cost.

Rocket Lab in particular launches satellites to LEO for $5M per ride and that can be shared via multiple companies if they are all “sharing” a ride.

So quite cheap for Western cost of business. Simorgh likely costs $1-2M per launch by comparison and not cheap when converted to Toman and Iranian cost of business.

You clearly haven’t been following space development if you think launches cost “multi-billion dollars”

Rocket Lab and SpaceX are companies sending up rockets to LEO and GSO/GEO for fractions of cost.

Rocket Lab in particular launches satellites to LEO for $5M per ride and that can be shared via multiple companies if they are all “sharing” a ride.

So quite cheap for Western cost of business. Simorgh likely costs $1-2M per launch by comparison and not cheap when converted to Toman and Iranian cost of business.
Stop using 'clearly' sunshine, sounds like too much pulp reading to me. And don't forget to answer my question on what makes you 'clearly' think why Iran's corp of scientists are not aware of Simorgh's problems and why you 'clearly' do. My comment 'clearly' stands, you 'Immortal du jour' breath of fresh air you:-). Many thanks.

Last edited:
Stop using 'clearly' sunshine, sounds like too much pulp reading to me. And don't forget to answer my question on what makes you 'clearly' think why Iran's corp of scientists are not aware of Simorgh's problems and why you 'clearly' do. My comment 'clearly' stands, you 'Immortal du jour' breath of fresh air you:-). Many thanks.

Simorgh was developed around the same time as SK Naro, so 2009-2010. It’s been 10 years that Simorgh has been “ready” and cannot establish a successful career flight record.

How much more time does ISA scientist need? Another decade? The problems of Simorgh 3 stages have been talked about. Clustered Nodongs at stage one pushed to the limit and unreliable stage 2 forced to make up the work leading to 3rd stage not reaching orbital insertion speed.

Also your comment does not stand. It’s just conjecture, if you take issue with my use of opinion, then your analysis is much worse.

“Multi billion dollar launches”

“Russia can bring entire region on heels on the cheap”.

Russia’s military endeavor in Ukraine is costing billions (tens of billions if sanctions/loss of business taken to account) per month. So what is “on the cheap” about its cost of war?

If you said Russia wages war cheaper then US then that’s nothing ground breaking. US spends 700B a year on military and Russia 65B. But to say Russian war doesn’t cost billions per month, but US wars do is a bit of a stretch.

If it’s your opinion please label as such. Cant ask for sources when you don’t like the analysis then speak as if your analysis needs no sources whatsoever. Seems to be a common theme around here with some users.

Last edited:
Simorgh was developed around the same time as SK Naro, so 2009-2010. It’s been 10 years that Simorgh has been “ready” and cannot establish a successful career flight record.

How much more time does ISA scientist need? Another decade? The problems of Simorgh 3 stages have been talked about. Clustered Nodongs at stage one pushed to the limit and unreliable stage 2 forced to make up the work leading to 3rd stage not reaching orbital insertion speed.

Also your comment does not stand. It’s just conjecture, if you take issue with my use of opinion, then your analysis is much worse.

“Multi billion dollar launches”

“Russia can bring entire region on heels on the cheap”.

Russia’s military endeavor in Ukraine is costing billions (tens of billions if sanctions/loss of business taken to account) per month. So what is “on the cheap” about its cost of war?

If you said Russia wages war cheaper then US then that’s nothing ground breaking. US spends 700B a year on military and Russia 65B. But to say Russian war doesn’t cost billions per month, but US wars do is a bit of a stretch.

If it’s your opinion please label as such. Cant ask for sources when you don’t like the analysis then speak as if your analysis needs no sources whatsoever. Seems to be a common theme around here with some users.

You 'clearly' make no sense. I give far more weight to the Iranian corp of scientists than you sparky.

You 'clearly' make no sense. I give far more weight to the Iranian corp of scientists than you sparky.

Your diversion tactics upon exposure of your ‘clearly’ incorrect assumptions/claims doesn’t fool anyone.

No use arguing with a troll flying false flags.

Your diversion tactics upon exposure of your ‘clearly’ incorrect assumptions/claims doesn’t fool anyone.

No use arguing with a troll flying false flags
You rock Ignatius, so I upvoted you.

Last edited:

first iranian laser gun

Amazing work @aryobarzan

SAFIR 1A/1B/KAVOSHGAR
Ist Stage: 1 x modified Shahab-3 Engine producing KN 365 with Liquid N2O4 /UDMH
2nd Stage: 2 × R-27 Zyb Engine producing 37 KN with Liquid N2O4 /UDMH
Max payload to LEO: 50 KG

(5 Successful Launches since 2009)

Flight No.
Date & Time (UTC)
Payload
Type
Outcome
Remarks
1​
2 February 2009​
Omid
Safir-1​
Success​
First successful orbital launch of Safir making Iran the ninth country to develop an indigenous satellite launch capability
2​
15 June 2011​
Safir-1A​
Success​
Rasad-1 was launched on the maiden flight of the Safir-1A​
3​
3 February 2012​
Safir-1B​
Success​
New configuration of the Safir carrier rocket, featuring a larger second stage with 20% more thrust.​
4​
2 February 2015​
Fajr
Safir-1B​
Success​
First Iranian satellite with orbital maneuverability using cold-gas thrusters.​

ZOLJANAH
1st Stage: 1 x Solid Fueled engine producing 725 KN
2nd Stage: 1 x Solid Fueled engine producing 725 KN
3rd Stage: 2 × R-27 Zyb Engine producing 37 KN with Liquid N2O4 /UDMH
Max payload to LEO: 220 Kg

(1 Successful sub-orbital launch)

Flight No.
Date & Time (UTC)
Payload
Outcome
Remarks
1​
31 January 2021​
Success​
first Sub-orbital test flight​

SIMORGH

1st Stage: 4 × modified Shahab-3 engines + 4 Vernier’s Producing 1590 KN with Liquid fuel N2O4 /UDMH
2nd Stage: 4 × R-27 Zyb Vernier engines producing 50 KN Liquid with Liquid fuel N2O4 /UDMH
3rd Stage: 1 x Saman-1 producing 15 KN with Solid Fuel
Max payload to LEO: 350 Kg

(1 Successful launch)

Flight No.
Date & Time (UTC)
Payload
Type
Outcome
Remarks
1​
19 April 2016​
No Payload​
Simorgh​
Success​
Sub-orbital test flight​

QASSED
1st Stage: 1 Ghadr-H engine producing 50 KN with Liquid fuel N2O4 /UDMH
2nd Stage: 1 x Salman Engine producing 50 KN with Solid Fuel
3rd Stage: 1 x Saman-1 producing 15 KN with Solid Fuel
Max payload to LEO: 50 Kg

(2 Successful launches)

Flight No.
Date & Time (UTC)
Payload
Type
Outcome
Remarks
1​
22 April 2020, 04:00​
Noor 1​
Success​
444 x 426 km orbit, 59.8 degree inclination​
2​
8 March 2022, 05:06​
Noor 2​
Success​
495 x 513 km orbit, 58.3 degree inclination​

---------------

My next post will be about Engines.

@aryobarzan

More data gathered

KICKSTAGES

Salman TVC upper-stage

(Comparable to American Star 48 , Castor 30)
Diameter: 1 m (3 ft 3 in)
Gross mass: 1,900 kg (C fiber casing to reduce weight)
Burn time: 60 seconds
Thurst: 56 KN
Isp: 2599 Ns/kg
Propellant: Solid

Equipped with Gimballed Thrust Vector Control (TVC) for steering in endo and exoatmospheric flight.

Salman_3.JPG

Saman-1 (rocket stage)

(Comparable to American Star 24)

Diameter: 0.96 m
Gross mass: 240 Kg (Ti made propulsion system to reduce weight)
Burn time: 40 seconds
Thurst: 13 KN

Capability: 100 kg payload satellite from a 400 km circular parking orbit to an elliptical orbit with an apogee of 700 km and a perigee of 400 km.
Sheer capability: 400 kg payload from LOE to a 7000 km orbit.

Independent navigation and control system
flight computer
cold gas thrusters
Independent power system

Saman-1.jpg

Saman-2.JPG

Arash-24

Gross mass: 240 Kg
Isp: 2810 Ns/kg

Saman-3a.JPG

3.JPG

@aryobarzan

More data gathered

KICKSTAGES

Salman TVC upper-stage

(Comparable to American Star 48 , Castor 30)
Diameter: 1 m (3 ft 3 in)
Gross mass: 1,900 kg (C fiber casing to reduce weight)
Burn time: 60 seconds
Thurst: 56 KN

Equipped with Gimballed Thrust Vector Control (TVC) for steering in endo and exoatmospheric flight.

Salman_3.JPG

Saman-1 (rocket stage)

(Comparable to American Star 24)

Gross mass: 240 Kg (Ti made propulsion system to reduce weight)

Capability: 100 kg payload satellite from a 400 km circular parking orbit to an elliptical orbit with an apogee of 700 km and a perigee of 400 km.
Sheer capability: 400 kg payload from LOE to a 7000 km orbit.

Independent navigation and control system
flight computer
cold gas thrusters
Independent power system

Saman-1.jpg

Saman-2.JPG

Arash-24

Gross mass: 240 Kg
Isp: 2810 Ns/kg

Saman-3a.JPG

3.JPG
What I have on Engines:

This one below is engine for simorgh that some people say in underpowered and should be retired (it is strap on 4 engines together)
1647094067268.png

1647094097368.png

1647094119597.png

Back
Top Bottom