What's new

Iranian Space program

Imported North Korean "Nodong" engines. North Korea retired it from production in 2016.
I suspect those "imports",actually iran was reputed to have bankrolled the entire rodong program,went both ways,as somewhat incredibly the dprk suddenly went from essentially small tactical solid fueled motors like the one for the toksa with a range of around 120+km,to a 1.25m diameter motor with potential ranges in the hundreds to around a thousand km.Interestingly the 1.25m diameter is exactly the same as the iranian sejil motor......
Coincidence......I think not.

I suspect those "imports",actually iran was reputed to have bankrolled the entire rodong program,went both ways,as somewhat incredibly the dprk suddenly went from essentially small tactical solid fueled motors like the one for the toksa with a range of around 120+km,to a 1.25m diameter motor with potential ranges in the hundreds to around a thousand km.Interestingly the 1.25m diameter is exactly the same as the iranian sejil motor......
Coincidence......I think not.

I think it’s more likely Chinese ToT transfer than Iran.

While there is a Iran-NK ToT relationship, it has been greatly exaggerated by the West in order to justify sanctions on both.

Fact is NK is way too poor to be able to field this many diverse missile programs alongside each other let alone in such a short time (less than a decade). This is the same country that negotiated for gasoline and rice during nuclear negotiations years ago. This is the same country that thinks gathering funding and building a general hospital in the capital is a big deal.

Now suddenly they have the funds to bankroll major missile development and R&D? Doubtful without a major backer (China).

Then why did China heavily sanction North Korea along with the west, especially in the Obama era ? I don't think that the Chinese wanted North Korea to acquire nuclear arms. China never wanted North Korea to be as independent as they are. The Chinese view North Korea as a buffer between them and the US and their allies in east Asia (Japan/South Korea/Taiwan/etc)

Through the Chinese perspective, the west would never attack North Korea because of China's protection. The Chinese want North Korea to fall under Chinese influence and the Chinese nuclear umbrella rather than develop nuclear weapons themselves.

The North Koreans however have always wanted to avoided becoming a Chinese vassal. That's why they aligned themselves more closely with the Soviets when China and the USSR had a rift and almost went to war.

In the 80's when the Chinese began to implement capitalist reforms, they encouraged the North Koreans to do the same, however they refused. This decision ended up backfiring when the USSR collapsed and North Korea experienced droughts, which led to mass starvation.

Anyways it's likely that Iran has contributed research and funding to North Korea's missile and nuclear programs. Iran more than likely has all the blueprints and technical know how but for political reasons has stuck to this 2000 KM range and has avoided going fully nuclear.

I think it’s more likely Chinese ToT transfer than Iran.

While there is a Iran-NK ToT relationship, it has been greatly exaggerated by the West in order to justify sanctions on both.

Fact is NK is way too poor to be able to field this many diverse missile programs alongside each other let alone in such a short time (less than a decade). This is the same country that negotiated for gasoline and rice during nuclear negotiations years ago. This is the same country that thinks gathering funding and building a general hospital in the capital is a big deal.

Now suddenly they have the funds to bankroll major missile development and R&D? Doubtful without a major backer (China).

This is the problem with the west and its approach to North Korea. Always under estimate and then get shock after shock as NK hits milestones which the west thinks it cannot ever hit. I remember the days when they used to say NK would never have a ICBM, how did that turn out? They have Hwasong-15 and even a Hwasong-16 now both which can deliver 1-ton nuke to anywhere on the surface of the earth.

I dont doubt North Korea is a developing country but it is not as dirt poor as the west makes it out to be if it can develop so many different weapons systems in the span of a single decade. I think North Korea will continue to shock the west for many years to come.

Necessity is the mother of invention but the fact of the matter is that North Korea has a GDP of $20 billion while South Korea it's 1.6 trillion. North has limited resources and capital. In the 80's, Iran began purchasing a variety of weapons from North Korea, including tanks and missiles.

if you think about it, purchasing weapons from a producer is almost like a form of investment. Future projects however require upfront investments before the weapons are even ready. Investments can be made in the form of cash, resources (oil), material (vital metals) and research contribution. Once one side invests enough resources, capital, research, eventually it becomes a joint project.

I'm pretty certain that Iran has the blueprints and know how when it comes to building an ICBM and nuclear arsenal. For political reasons, Iran keeps its range limited to 2000 KM but the Khorramshahr missile for example is a variant of the Hwasong-10, which has a range of 3000-4000 KM.

If such an arrangement exists, then it's perfect for both Iran and North Korea as every single launch and every single bit of research conducted benefits both sides. This would be a perfect explanation as to how and why, since the 80's, despite harsher sanctions, North Korea has been able achieve so much, despite all the odds.

This is the problem with the west and its approach to North Korea. Always under estimate and then get shock after shock as NK hits milestones which the west thinks it cannot ever hit. I remember the days when they used to say NK would never have a ICBM, how did that turn out? They have Hwasong-15 and even a Hwasong-16 now both which can deliver 1-ton nuke to anywhere on the surface of the earth.

I dont doubt North Korea is a developing country but it is not as dirt poor as the west makes it out to be if it can develop so many different weapons systems in the span of a single decade. I think North Korea will continue to shock the west for many years to come.

I'm curious to see if they will introduce a new missile with this new engine, or keep it solely for the space program. As far as I'm aware, the Salman engine they showed before is only used for SLVs so far.

Let's look at history for a moment. The first nuclear (plutonium based) weapon was developed by the USA, and it's only delivery mode was aircraft
Later they miniaturized the nuclear system into a warhead, and constantly refined the payload/blast yield etc... over decades.
Then, working on reaching inter-continental ranges carrying a nuclear warhead and increasing diameter to carry more warheads.

Now today, theirs a certain country with 60% enrichment, very advanced centrifuges almost as capable as other countries on the edge of centrifuge tech, burried in deep mountain ranges (impossible to destroy conventionally) and road-mobile, solid-fuel ICBM capable.
They are reaching to the point we all know subliminally , and it is just a fingertip away. Instead of going through the progression like the Americans and Soviets did. It honestly looks like they are just getting all the pieces in first before. For then, a non-nuclear country would overnight become ICBM nuclear country. Of course, that is up to them to decide, doesn't mean they will actually develop a ground attack ICBM.

Pretty crazy stuff if you ask me. Whether or not a nuclear deal will happen will have big implications on the direction these guys take.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom