What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

Not confirmed just highly likely at this point unless Iran plans to unveil a new anti ship missile in the near future.

The Type 22 carries 8 canisters so that is minimum I am expecting from Iran. They operate in swarms of 8 so each squadron of Type 22’s can fire 64 total missiles at an enemy battle group.

So swarm and saturation is the goal for the Chinese with this craft while remaining relatively stealthy. So I can see why IRGC went with a similar design as this type of philosophy aligns well with their doctrine. Negative for the T Defense wise and radar wise it’s quite limited.

It makes sense canisters on the top of the ship will have anti-ship missiles for protection/attack and the standard issue is the C-802 upgraded Iranian version.

Yes because there is a fallacy that people think the military knows exactly what it wants or doesn’t make design mistake. Usually in military there is a lot of politics at play and the best design or weapon system DOES NOT win but rather the one that has the backing of power faction or lobbyist group. Iran is no different.

At this rate every major Iranian ship is being built with a helipad.

Case in point F-22 production gets shut down citing cost over runs among other various reasons given. Now military/government admits that F-22 was the best aircraft design and they should have built more and the F-35 was a underwhelming alternative 5th Gen fighter.
Uh huh. Thanks for that. I'll stick with the decisions of ther Iranian designers and military strategists for now.

Also I am disappointed in IRGC, helipad is pretty useless considering Iran’s naval helicopters are old Mi helicopters or even older Sea kings. And given Mowj vessels already carrying a helipad by the Navy it seems redundant to have so many helicopter carrying ships. Shahid Nazeri also has a heli pad.

I think helipad is necessary for VERTREP operations and for special ops load and unloads. Moreover with that helipad you can operate UAVs VTOL or like americans Scan Eagle, not only launching them but even recovering on deck like Scan Eagle. You don´t need to deploy a helicopter for most missions, but you can need to send some Takavar or intervention groups or equipment via helicopter

North Korea the materials exhibited at the "Exhibition for the development of state self-defense" 12 October 2021, including systems for the navy in this photo Oto Melara 76/62 Compact clone, with stealth dome, who knows maybe a collaboration has materialized with Iran which is already carrying out the Fajr-27.
However, it would also be an opportunity for Iran to build the Fajr-27 with a stealth dome
12-10111893-screenshot-20211012-215421-chrome.jpg

North Korea the materials exhibited at the "Exhibition for the development of state self-defense" 12 October 2021, including systems for the navy in this photo Oto Melara 76/62 Compact clone, with stealth dome, who knows maybe a collaboration has materialized with Iran which is already carrying out the Fajr-27.
However, it would also be an opportunity for Iran to build the Fajr-27 with a stealth dome
12-10111893-screenshot-20211012-215421-chrome.jpg
Yes,lets hope that the IRIN is watching this,as modernising the turret gunhouse to produce a more modern,low observable design,would be a relatively easy thing to do.
Sadly tho,the priorities of the navy when it comes to the large blue water warships often seem to be,shall we say,less than coherent.

Haha so short range missile.
Brahmose 2 is on drawing board as of now.

Just buy HD 1 from China or Brahmose from India.

Yes these catamarans operate in PG which is not that wide. Plus longer range missile would need a radar powerful enough to target the ship. Plenty of CMs iran already has that can do that.

But having 100KM supersonic missile is a vital asset.

Fascinating defense system. But why ask for help? Iran has its own configurations, its own tactics of war and engagement. Iran is in the club of the 4 largest air defense system power in the world and there are still a few systems to be unveiled. It's amazing the rapid development they are doing.

Fascinating defense system. But why ask for help? Iran has its own configurations, its own tactics of war and engagement. Iran is in the club of the 4 largest air defense system power in the world and there are still a few systems to be unveiled. It's amazing the rapid development they are doing.

maybe I got the wrong term, I meant to write some collaboration, a hypothesis that crossed my mind precisely due to the contacts I had in the past to acquire, as per the Tasmin article that I had attached, the South African system, then officially not implemented probably also due to pressure external to South Africa.
hypothesis that crossed my mind when noting a certain similarity between the canisters and the launching position system.
I'm not saying it will have the same missile or electronics, but just how to make vertical launch technology (VLS)
But in any case it is only my hypothesis, which could be refuted, for example, even tomorrow.

just out of curiosity, here is a video of the launch of the Umkhronto from an Algerian frigate Meko 200

Last edited:
maybe I got the wrong term, I meant to write some collaboration, a hypothesis that crossed my mind precisely due to the contacts I had in the past to acquire, as per the Tasmin article that I had attached, the South African system, then officially not implemented probably also due to pressure external to South Africa.
hypothesis that crossed my mind when noting a certain similarity between the canisters and the launching position system.
I'm not saying it will have the same missile or electronics, but just how to make vertical launch technology (VLS)
But in any case it is only my hypothesis, which could be refuted, for example, even tomorrow.

canister and angle of launch =/= collaboration.

Iran has systems (talagh, 15 Khordad) that look like PAC-3 from outside, did Iran and US “collaborate”? Of course not.

All air defense systems especially ones in similar category for range (long, medium, SOHRAD) look similar in appearance to their peers. That applies across military weapons not just air defense systems.

canister and angle of launch =/= collaboration.

Iran has systems (talagh, 15 Khordad) that look like PAC-3 from outside, did Iran and US “collaborate”? Of course not.

All air defense systems especially ones in similar category for range (long, medium, SOHRAD) look similar in appearance to their peers. That applies across military weapons not just air defense systems.
in your answer that quoted mine, you forgot that I had written this too " but just how to make vertical launch technology (VLS) "

in your answer that quoted mine, you forgot that I had written this too " but just how to make vertical launch technology (VLS) "

Iran already demonstrated VLS with Bavar. Unless I missed something.

Also I am waiting on footage of a demonstration of cold VLS launch system using gas ejection technology. This system uses hot launch like Bavar as evident by the exhaust trap at the bottom.

Iran already demonstrated VLS with Bavar. Unless I missed something.

Also I am waiting on footage of a demonstration of cold VLS launch system using gas ejection technology. This system uses hot launch like Bavar as evident by the exhaust trap at the bottom.

True, but the South African did it first.
The fact remains of the dimensional proximity of the two systems that I had listed.
Then as I wrote it is just my idea that I certainly do not want to impose on anyone.

Back
Top Bottom