What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

As Per "Mashregh" news there is a 4th ship named "alMohandes" .. 47 meters long in a form of "W".

به گفته فرمانده نیروی دریایی سپاه، یک شناور متفاوت از سه شناور رده شهید سلیمانی به نام «ابومهدی المهندس» نیز در دست ساخت است که قابلیت های آفندی و پدافندی و بدنه ای به شکل W با طول ۴۷ متر دارد.
1633869598093.png

one of Shaheed Solimani's class ship is going for sea trials

View attachment 783541

So it's a helipad after all, not space for additional armaments. I intended to observe that I doubt it's going to be an extremely heavily armed attack craft, rather a helicopter carrying vessel with some missiles housed in those probable lateral launchers.

Last edited:
IMHO. This is a good FAC for operating under the Bavar 373 or SAM-200 long range protection. It fits so good in IRGCN doctrine of "hit and run". But I think nowadays IRIN need more blue water capable ships. Moudge class are necessary to protect SLOCs and develop a bigger class of warships to reach comfortably Venezuela, Russia, and Syria among others. Anyway Solemaini class are really impressive, seems even a bit bigger than Type 22.

As Per "Mashregh" news there is a 4th ship named "alMohandes" .. 47 meters long in a form of "W".

به گفته فرمانده نیروی دریایی سپاه، یک شناور متفاوت از سه شناور رده شهید سلیمانی به نام «ابومهدی المهندس» نیز در دست ساخت است که قابلیت های آفندی و پدافندی و بدنه ای به شکل W با طول ۴۷ متر دارد.
View attachment 783560

I knew it. There was a 4th ship in another class called Shahid Mohandes.

Besides being smaller, I wonder what the difference between the two will be.

the back of the ship, big place to put weapons in

FBVpYzRWUAgiMnb.jpg

So it's a helipad after all, not space for additional armaments. I intended to post that I doubt it's going to be an extremely heavily armed attack craft, rather a helicopter carrying vessel with some missiles housed in those probable lateral launchers.
agreed, if there was not a helipad this ship could have been a monster

the back of the ship, big place to put weapons in

View attachment 783630

agreed, if there was not a helipad this ship could have been a monster

I have no idea why Iran has an obsession with heli pad on ships considering its naval helicopter fleet is ancient.

If it was me, I would have made the back cell VLS. 48 for cruise missiles and 16 for AA missiles. Or whatever combination makes the most sense for Iran.

You could even make naval version of PG Missile, Hormuz, etc. which would allow the catamarans to target other ships or battle groups.

I have no idea why Iran has an obsession with heli pad on ships considering its naval helicopter fleet is ancient.

If it was me, I would have made the back cell VLS. 48 for cruise missiles and 16 for AA missiles. Or whatever combination makes the most sense for Iran.

You could even make naval version of PG Missile, Hormuz, etc. which would allow the catamarans to target other ships or battle groups.
me 2

Just to theorize:
1) it is evident that there is no helicopter hangar, therefore it will not always be on board
2) the photos show the flight deck, but this does not prevent it from hiding anything else under it (VLS), or instead of the helicopter that platform could easily accommodate standard "specialized" containers in case of need
3) in any case, those two openings on the sides will probably host anti-ship missiles

Schermata-16.png

Screenshot-2021-06-25-16-00-52-112-01-1.jpg

Just to theorize:
1) it is evident that there is no helicopter hangar, therefore it will not always be on board
2) the photos show the flight deck, but this does not prevent it from hiding anything else under it (VLS), or instead of the helicopter that platform could easily accommodate standard "specialized" containers in case of need
3) in any case, those two openings on the sides will probably host anti-ship missiles

Schermata-16.png

Screenshot-2021-06-25-16-00-52-112-01-1.jpg

Im not an engineer, but I would imagine landing a helicopter with VLS cells underneath is a major structural no-no. Anything happens to the chopper and lands hard or crashes into a ship you could have a chain reaction that would detonate the entire ship.

Also I am disappointed in IRGC, helipad is pretty useless considering Iran’s naval helicopters are old Mi helicopters or even older Sea kings. And given Mowj vessels already carrying a helipad by the Navy it seems redundant to have so many helicopter carrying ships. Shahid Nazeri also has a heli pad.

You could have built a very nice VLS structure and next to it built a small platform for launching VTOL drones which could pack a much better punch and survivability than any of Iran’s current naval choppers.

Furthermore, using a Karrar like catapult system you could launch Karrar or any number of drones using a booster system and retrieve them via net or parachute system as an alternative.

As for the missile locations you highlighted those will likely carry C-802 missiles which in 2021 isnt a very capable anti ship missile against a true modern warship. Houthi’s fired two of them against a US naval warship and it had no trouble shooting them down.

Not sure what adjustments Iran has since made to the system but Iran needs a more modern deadlier 50-100KM anti ship missile like a Brahmos II class missile.

i wanted to write the same thing two days ago, why helipad man when ur ship doesn't have enough armaments.
I hope someone of em will notice the issue.

i wanted to write the same thing two days ago, why helipad man when ur ship doesn't have enough armaments.
I hope someone of em will notice the issue.

It just makes no sense for IRGC which has one of the most advanced drone in the Middle East to be flying MI helicopters from this ship. It could have been a modern VLS carrying CM,BM, AD warship with drone capability.

Instead it became another underpowered vessel like the Mowj.

BTW- 4-8 C-802’s is a joke. Hezbollah used C-802 15 years ago. Missile is getting long in the tooth.

It just makes no sense for IRGC which has one of the most advanced drone in the Middle East to be flying MI helicopters from this ship. It could have been a modern VLS carrying CM,BM, AD warship with drone capability.

Instead it became another underpowered vessel like the Mowj.

BTW- 4-8 C-802’s is a joke. Hezbollah used C-802 15 years ago. Missile is getting long in the tooth.

but are we sure they will be C-802 / NOOR / QADER?
have they already disclosed the exact type of armament to be installed?
or are they just hypotheses at the moment?

Come on folks, are you seriously questioning the design choices of an army of engineers and military strategists? I'd pose the question very differently:

Why has this been designed like this and what does it tell us about IRI needs and strategic perceptions?

but are we sure they will be C-802 / NOOR / QADER?
have they already disclosed the exact type of armament to be installed?
or are they just hypotheses at the moment?

Not confirmed just highly likely at this point unless Iran plans to unveil a new anti ship missile in the near future.

The Type 22 carries 8 canisters so that is minimum I am expecting from Iran. They operate in swarms of 8 so each squadron of Type 22’s can fire 64 total missiles at an enemy battle group.

So swarm and saturation is the goal for the Chinese with this craft while remaining relatively stealthy. So I can see why IRGC went with a similar design as this type of philosophy aligns well with their doctrine. Negative for the T Defense wise and radar wise it’s quite limited.

It makes sense canisters on the top of the ship will have anti-ship missiles for protection/attack and the standard issue is the C-802 upgraded Iranian version.

Come on folks, are you seriously questioning the design choices of an army of engineers and military strategists? I'd pose the question very differently:

Why has this been designed like this and what does it tell us about IRI needs and strategic perceptions?

Yes because there is a fallacy that people think the military knows exactly what it wants or doesn’t make design mistake. Usually in military there is a lot of politics at play and the best design or weapon system DOES NOT win but rather the one that has the backing of power faction or lobbyist group. Iran is no different.

At this rate every major Iranian ship is being built with a helipad.

Case in point F-22 production gets shut down citing cost over runs among other various reasons given. Now military/government admits that F-22 was the best aircraft design and they should have built more and the F-35 was a underwhelming alternative 5th Gen fighter.

This looks like submarine project intended for both IRGC and IRINavy ,if I am not wrong there are IRGC and IRI Navy markings above..but it doeant look like Besat submarine..this looks like some cruise missile or balistic missile armed submarine
ExOC4nZXEAAx6Wm.jpg

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom