What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

If they can redesign all mowj class ship to something like that. My favourite one
corvette-soobrazitelny.si.jpg
russia-corvette-stoikiy-545.jpg

Supposedly should be equipped with VLS?
I think the mowj class is not suited to vls, at least with what missiles are currently in inventory. It might be possible to modify 9th Dey for vls for mowj but nothing larger than those missiles it seems. Something to do with stability, Yavar would know more about this.

I think the mowj class is not suited to vls, at least with what missiles are currently in inventory. It might be possible to modify 9th Dey for vls for mowj but nothing larger than those missiles it seems. Something to do with stability, Yavar would know more about this.
I think you can fit missiles of similar size to the South African Umkhonto, here the VLS installed on the Hamina class deck of the Finnish navy
8-hamina-MLU-reservilainen-terotuominen-0418.jpg

in the Mowy class one could think of installing them in the superstructure in front of the bridge
Schermata-41.png

I think you can fit missiles of similar size to the South African Umkhonto, here the VLS installed on the Hamina class deck of the Finnish navy

in the Mowy class one could think of installing them in the superstructure in front of the bridge
Schermata-41.png
I think it was stability issues for the vessel when it comes vls for the mowj class, at least with the Sayyad missiles anyway.
Also, that space where the SM-2 launchers are might not be available for vls, depending on what that space underneath is being used for. When the Jameran was first unveiled, it was speculated that there might be extra sm-2 missiles under the launchers and were lifted into position for reload. close up pictures of that area determined that the space in question could not house the reload mechanism or extra missiles and that space is used for something else.

But it would be appropriate to see a real one and not as a model.

About this model of the new corvette, I am not convinced by the design of the bow of the ship.
yes the bow looks unusually high, but the ship is heavily armed

I think it was stability issues for the vessel when it comes vls for the mowj class, at least with the Sayyad missiles anyway.
Also, that space where the SM-2 launchers are might not be available for vls, depending on what that space underneath is being used for. When the Jameran was first unveiled, it was speculated that there might be extra sm-2 missiles under the launchers and were lifted into position for reload. close up pictures of that area determined that the space in question could not house the reload mechanism or extra missiles and that space is used for something else.
But there are smaller vessels with way less displacement weight and are equipped with VLS.
I mean they can work on adding launchers for 9th Dey if VLS doesn’t work, like Aspide or Sea Sparrow or Crotale-NG...

Last edited:
But there are smaller vessels with way less displacement weight and are equipped with VLS.
I mean they can work on adding launchers for 9th Dey if VLS doesn’t work, like Aspide or Sea Sparrow or Crotale-NG...

its design of ship and layout not just pure tonnage.

Mowj is 1970’s vessel not designed with VLS technology in mind. It didn’t even exist back then.

its design of ship and layout not just pure tonnage.

Mowj is 1970’s vessel not designed with VLS technology in mind. It didn’t even exist back then.

not entirely correct, there are examples of VLS installation also on corvettes and frigates of the '79 and '80s, such as the Australian Adelaide class or the Canadian Halifax class, but also with the 1100 tonne corvettes of Denmark, in these, having no available spaces, neither at the bow nor at the sides, they were placed at the stern of the ship

F-354-HDMS-Niels-Juel-72.jpg

not entirely correct, there are examples of VLS installation also on corvettes and frigates of the '79 and '80s, such as the Australian Adelaide class or the Canadian Halifax class, but also with the 1100 tonne corvettes of Denmark, in these, having no available spaces, neither at the bow nor at the sides, they were placed at the stern of the ship

IMO They will not use the helipad for the VLS. I don't know if the ships have more space or not?
for the reason read this: (it's from 2010)

one of the requirements of the moudge project where the capability of carrying a helicopter. throwing that away might look like a taboo now...

The frigates you mentioned have more than 3000/4000 tons displacement.
But it’s very interesting how they added vls to the Denmark corvette.
As far as I know, only russian corvettes (Karakurt and Buyan-M) and the Gowind-1000 are the only vessels with less than 1500 tons displacement and are equipped with VLS, and these have a modern Stealth design.

Schermata-41.png
Yes,that stepped area forward of the bridge is about the only logical place for a sam vls on the class,at least in its current unmodified form,tho you would want to include a center walkway for access to the bow area,so you would likely be looking at 2 sam vls,on the right and left sides of the step.
Of course this would be conditional on the ability to relocate whatever actual equipment the step currently contains.
Personally I think a far better option would be cutting the ship in half just behind the exhaust stack and inserting a brand new 30m section containing a helo hanger and a new combined vls mounting a loadout of antiship+land attack cruise/ballistic missiles,and a loadout of short and medium ranged anti-air missiles.

that ship don't have a landing pad . Iranian navy is not willing of letting go of the landing pad on its ship.

that ship don't have a landing pad . Iranian navy is not willing of letting go of the landing pad on its ship.

I did not indicate that the flight deck must be used for the Iranian frigates, I wrote that on the Danish corvettes they used that space because there was no other place to put the VLS, on the Mowy class instead as I wrote in the past you could evaluate the superstructure which is present in the bow behind the Fajr-27.
However, in my previous answer I just wanted to point out that even on ships designed without the VLS with some tricks they can be updated with this system.

Back
Top Bottom