What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

I did not indicate that the flight deck must be used for the Iranian frigates, I wrote that on the Danish corvettes they used that space because there was no other place to put the VLS, on the Mowy class instead as I wrote in the past you could evaluate the superstructure which is present in the bow behind the Fajr-27.
However, in my previous answer I just wanted to point out that even on ships designed without the VLS with some tricks they can be updated with this system.
raising the superstructure probably change the balance of the ship and made susceptible to role over if hit by waves from one side

raising the superstructure probably change the balance of the ship and made susceptible to role over if hit by waves from one side
no new superstructure should be raised, but assess whether it is possible to use the interior spaces or parts of the existing one.

not entirely correct, there are examples of VLS installation also on corvettes and frigates of the '79 and '80s, such as the Australian Adelaide class or the Canadian Halifax class, but also with the 1100 tonne corvettes of Denmark, in these, having no available spaces, neither at the bow nor at the sides, they were placed at the stern of the ship

F-354-HDMS-Niels-Juel-72.jpg

Iran’s Mowj vessels were acquired before your cited time period. So again my statement was correct, at the time of delivery VLS did not exist in frigates of the size of Mowj. The examples you quoted were after the said time period and much heavier ships.

Iran’s Mowj vessels were acquired before your cited time period. So again my statement was correct, at the time of delivery VLS did not exist in frigates of the size of Mowj. The examples you quoted were after the said time period and much heavier ships.

indicating the 1970s, perhaps you forget that as a main example, including photos, I have repeatedly indicated the Danish corvettes with displacement of 1450 tons and dimensions of 84 meters x 10.3 meters, therefore smaller than the Iranian Mowy class.
In total there were 3 Danish corvettes built, the construction work of the first began in 1977 (therefore the project is prior to that date) and built without providing for the VLS which at that historical moment was not in use on the surface units except in rare cases (for example the Soviet Udaloy class)
In any case, the Mowy class, even if based on a project of the 60s (Alvand) of the last century, were made in this century by making structural improvements in the design that led to the implementation of a helicopter bridge as well, this brings me to think that in the project they had the possibility to foresee being able to convert spaces for VLS, since although not in production at the time in Iran, it was a system already known and used by numerous navies worldwide.
This again leads me to hypothesize that the superstructure behind the Fajr-27 could be used to eventually install VLS for anti-aircraft defense missiles with dimensions similar to the Umkhonto, indeed if you look at the photo of the Sahand 74 that superstructure could expand towards the bow as there is a lot of free space that can be used without disturbing the shooting arc of the Fajr-27

1397120314212440416723913-2.jpg

well the good news is Iran will only build one more Moje class for Caspian sea ( Maybe a Damavand-3 ) and another one for Persian gulf and that will be it for Moje class family, Iran will move to 4000 tons ships and up, only 2 more to go

1626045969362.png

Last edited:
well the good news is Iran will only build one more Moje class for Caspian sea ( Maybe a Damavand-3 ) and another one for Persian gulf and that will be it for Moje class family, Iran will move to 4000 tons ships and up, only 2 more to go

View attachment 761528
Damavand-2 and another one for Caspian Sea, Taftan and Shiraz intelligence ship.
4 left...
Any news if they are going to add some more weapons for these new ships?

Back
Top Bottom