What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

ALCON,

The fact that a newer vessel like this Separ (newest member of the Sina-class) is NOT equipped with an AK-630 based CIWS is what makes me suspect the brief images we saw of one this year were more for show & that no reverse-engineering work is taking place. If it is, it is moving at glacial speeds...

ALCON,

The fact that a newer vessel like this Separ (newest member of the Sina-class) is NOT equipped with an AK-630 based CIWS is what makes me suspect the brief images we saw of one this year were more for show & that no reverse-engineering work is taking place. If it is, it is moving at glacial speeds...
Auto Marla cannon give you surface attack capabilities while you lose such options with ak-630

ALCON,

I expect fitting a CIWS in there would require removing either the Fajr-27 or the bofors. *Bigger is better* so it would have to be the bofors...

But now it's been fitted I highly doubt the CIWS will be retrofitted, if the project actually succeeds. In fact, I don't think any of Iran's current Mowj frigates or Sina FAC will get CIWS. Iranian designers don't seem to count it as important.

Well they can move the life boats and put the CIWS there.
I expect fitting a CIWS in there would require removing either the Fajr-27 or the bofors. *Bigger is better* so it would have to be the bofors...

But now it's been fitted I highly doubt the CIWS will be retrofitted, if the project actually succeeds. In fact, I don't think any of Iran's current Mowj frigates or Sina FAC will get CIWS. Iranian designers don't seem to count it as important.

I think it would be too crowded, having a CWIS and a Bofors both back there. They would interfere with each other's arc of fire.
It will become crowded but I doubt they interfere with each other . but honestly when was the last time they managed to hit anything with that Bofors . just remove it and put something that actually can make a difference there.

an alternative to the AK-630 exists, for example the Chinese version with a stealth dome;
but given the past collaborations in the military sector with a nation currently subject to sanctions, it seems strange that Iran did not follow the path initially taken by Myanmar for the CiWS armament of its F-11 frigate that acquired from the same partner this version of a 30mm Gatling system.

7FA7c37.jpg

and possibly to be made under license !!

You need a potent short range air search radar to put the AK-630 on the Peykan class and the Separ is the first one to have one.
The Ak-630 copy could be a IRGC project. Navy could be stubborn enough the think the 40mm auto bofors is better than the eastern AK-630

Hack-Hook,

No need to choose here. The 40mm Bofors is a near complete waste of space on the Sina-class FACMs (if it was a twin-mount like the FastForty or Breda, it would be a different story...). In it's place, I have no doubt a AK-630 could integrated in the same location, though it would take up somewhat more space.

However, nearly ALL FACMs in the world today built since the 1990s are fitted with CIWS with little trouble. Qatar's Barzan-class are even fitted with the might Goalkeeper (effectively a ship-mounted A-10 cannon).

Just reinforces the problem that overall, the new-built Sina-class vessels are barely any more capable or modern than the late 70s vintage La Combattante II class they were reverse-engineered from. The AshMs are longer range but no more numerous, their sensors are somewhat improved but not dramatically and no improvement at all in terms of self-protection.

For a country that has showed so much interest in smaller surface combatants, their lack of improvements to the original La Combattante II/Kaman classes is quite puzzling.

According to JDW this is a 1970s design (based on the Combattante II FACs that Iran ordered from France in the 1970s). Why is IRI using old designs?

Qatar's Barzan-class are even fitted with the might Goalkeeper

Jesus Christ :o::rofl:

For a country that has showed so much interest in smaller surface combatants, their lack of improvements to the original La Combattante II/Kaman classes is quite puzzling.

Well it seems that small ship philosophy is more of an IRGC thing. The Artesh navy wants to be a blue water navy. But that still doesn't explain why they don't install a CIWS. Maybe development is not yet complete?

Back
Top Bottom