What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

Does anyone know what the vessel I marked #2 is? #1 should be Sahand. It is int the same location as the photo below. #2 looks like Khalije Fars with its three level superstructure. What are those two tower shape structures?

upload_2017-3-22_13-49-45.png

resized_1970600_512.jpg

Does anyone know what the vessel I marked #2 is? #1 should be Sahand. It is int the same location as the photo below. #2 looks like Khalije Fars with its three level superstructure. What are those two tower shape structures?

View attachment 385692

resized_1970600_512.jpg

That's the "Shiraz frigate" not much is known about it except that it seems to be a new design independent from the Mowj family. It is not the Loghman, that would be much bigger. It seems to be a smaller similar ship to it perhaps to gain abit of experience before making the 7500 ton Loghman.

The carrier mockup after it was hit by Khalije Fars Missile: A good chunk of it is gone!

upload_2017-3-22_14-21-40.png

That's the "Shiraz frigate" not much is known about it except that it seems to be a new design independent from the Mowj family. It is not the Loghman, that would be much bigger. It seems to be a smaller similar ship to it perhaps to gain abit of experience before making the 7500 ton Loghman.
Seem to be almost finished. Picture from two years ago (#5)

zksk84.jpg

No, I mean these:

View attachment 385715

Are those funnels? Why two of them?
STACK = FUNNEL
To free up the space in between for a sufficiently long helicopter hangar, without much changing the underlying deck and structural arrangement (the pair of funnels is about there in the ship length where there is a single centreline funnel in preceeding ships).

Alvand class was/is powered by 2 Paxman Ventura cruising diesels 3,800 bhp (2,800 kW), and 2 Rolls Royce Olympus TM-3A boost gas turbines 46,000 shp (34,000 kW) on 2 shafts.
Mowj is powered by 2 × 10,000 hp (7,500 kW) engines on 2 shafts
Sahand will have 2 shafts; 4 diesels;
In other words, a 2 shaft arrangement with 2 associated (sets of) diesels and thus 2-4 uptakes (each pair going up either centrally to form 1 funnel or seperately to form 2 separate funnels).

Damavand.jpg

The carrier mockup after it was hit by Khalije Fars Missile: A good chunk of it is gone!
Sheet metal for the most part. Not very representative.
article-urn:publicid:ap.org:f032e35430d14051b11376690b4d31ea-6WbmMDlfTHSK2-297_634x319.jpg

heres-new-satellite-imagery-of-a-fake-american-aircraft-carrier-iran-tried-to-blow-up.jpg

It is likely the Khalij Fars didn't have a live warhead. And actually I think even if it did, it would have gone right through that sheet metal. Mach 4 is no joke.

Older pictures of the Shiraz ship.

shiraz.jpg
It is a very different design compared to what has been built so far. However, I think they have changed the design on the fly. The cavity here doesn't seem to exist anymore:

upload_2017-3-22_16-31-4.png

upload_2017-3-22_16-31-53.png

No it was hit by Khalije Fars. there were photos of the impact.

Kiarash is right, that Carrier mockup was hit by a pair of suicide speedboats. The first speedboat detonated next to the mockup and caused the damage we see and the blast caused the second speedboat to detonate prematurely. Khalije fars missile was tested during that same exercise but it was used against another target ship at a different location.

the "Shiraz frigate"

sMKcZPo.jpg
It is certainly a unique design. The superstructure is deviating more from the original Alvand class than the Sahand frigate.

I think this is evidence that Iranian designers are experimenting with different designs to learn to make better vessels. Out of the 4 completed or close to completed Moudge frigates (Jamaran, Damavand, Sahand and Shiraz), there are 3 different and all 4 have different subsystems.

the "Shiraz frigate"

sMKcZPo.jpg
The super structure is the highest of all Iranian made frigates. Maybe this one comes with VLS? The area behind the command deck seem to be a good location.

Kiarash is right, that Carrier mockup was hit by a pair of suicide speedboats. The first speedboat detonated next to the mockup and caused the damage we see and the blast caused the second speedboat to detonate prematurely. Khalije fars missile was tested during that same exercise but it was used against another target ship at a different location.
This is the moment of impact:

1fff5177-e129-42c2-b09f-10ace5fa5179.jpg

I recall the TV saying it was hit by Khalije fars.

It is certainly a unique design. The superstructure is deviating more from the original Alvand class than the Sahand frigate.

I think this is evidence that Iranian designers are experimenting with different designs to learn to make better vessels. Out of the 4 completed or close to completed Moudge frigates (Jamaran, Damavand, Sahand and Shiraz), there are 3 different and all 4 have different subsystems.
However, they don't seem to want to touch the hull design for now. It has the same unique shape of those of Jamaran, Damavand and Sahand. Wonder why?

Back
Top Bottom