What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

Had a quick inquiry about the old video of the underwater launched missile. That missile did fail right, or am I looking at it the wrong way?
I dont think its a missile,my bet is that it was a shkval/hoot supercavitator rocket powered torpedo that malfunctioned and ended up launching itself out of the water.One of the things that points to this is the huge amount of gas the thing is emitting and the fact that gas is even coming from the nose of the object which is consistent with a shkval/hoot,in addition it does not appear to be fully stable in flight as the body is slowly rotating along its length.
Heres a video of an actual ss-n-16 launch,the differences are pretty obvious.

Never seen an underwater missile launch like that before.
Heres what a cruise missile launch from a buoyant capsule ejected from a torpedo tube actually looks like [1:10]
Heres an ss-n-16 launch
And heres the full iran launch vid
And heres a successful launch of a shkval/hoot from a semi submersible patrol boat [0:12]

I dont think its a missile,my bet is that it was a shkval/hoot supercavitator rocket powered torpedo that malfunctioned and ended up launching itself out of the water.One of the things that points to this is the huge amount of gas the thing is emitting and the fact that gas is even coming from the nose of the object which is consistent with a shkval/hoot,in addition it does not appear to be fully stable in flight as the body is slowly rotating along its length.
Heres a video of an actual ss-n-16 launch,the differences are pretty obvious.

Heres what a cruise missile launch from a buoyant capsule ejected from a torpedo tube actually looks like [1:10]
Heres an ss-n-16 launch
And heres the full iran launch vid
And heres a successful launch of a shkval/hoot from a semi submersible patrol boat [0:12]

Hoot does not have the thrust to take off. That is a new missile Iran is developing and it's does not have to follow similar launch mechanisms. As far as I know Iran does not have a reference design to reverse engineer so likely they are experimenting with domestic designs.

It’s possible that the missile was not launched from a sub but an underwater platform.

As SLBM are timed to be “ejected” out of the water and THEN ignite the Engines this Missile appears to have engine ignition while underwater or a booster ignition

To this day no one knows the exact answer.

Could be a malfunctioning booster.

It’s possible that the missile was not launched from a sub but an underwater platform.

As SLBM are timed to be “ejected” out of the water and THEN ignite the Engines this Missile appears to have engine ignition while underwater or a booster ignition

To this day no one knows the exact answer.

Could be a malfunctioning booster.
It was not launched from underwater,the complete video shows it being launched from a semi submersible patrol boat on the surface.
Iran%2Bmade%2Bversion%2BSS-N-16%2BRPK-6%2BVodopad%2Blaunched%2Bfrom%2Bfast%2Battack%2Bboat.jpg

This same launch technique and vessel type were used in one of the successful hoot/shkval tests.

And IRGC publishing a malfunction as a new game changer to her enemies!?
Propaganda is also a weapon,and with something like this that isnt exactly clear what it is its quite possible that the enemy may come to the wrong conclusion,indeed there were lots of people out there,including myself,who assumed that this was an ss-n-15/16 being tested.

Again
It was not launched from underwater,the complete video shows it being launched from a semi submersible patrol boat on the surface.
Iran%2Bmade%2Bversion%2BSS-N-16%2BRPK-6%2BVodopad%2Blaunched%2Bfrom%2Bfast%2Battack%2Bboat.jpg

This same launch technique and vessel type were used in one of the successful hoot/shkval tests.

Propaganda is also a weapon,and with something like this that isnt exactly clear what it is its quite possible that the enemy may come to the wrong conclusion,indeed there were lots of people out there,including myself,who assumed that this was an ss-n-15/16 being tested.[/QUOT

Propaganda is also a weapon,and with something like this that isnt exactly clear what it is its quite possible that the enemy may come to the wrong conclusion,indeed there were lots of people out there,including myself,who assumed that this was an ss-n-15/16 being tested.
Again, Hoot does not have enough thrust to take off like that. This is a dedicated booster.

Best thing about torpedo tube lunching is once you develop canisterized lunching system,you can lunch cruise missiles from anything with 533mm torpedo tube....Also this doesn't require new missiles development...just canisterized/capsule system and booster...you can lunch all existing missiles with no or very little customization...Currently all Iranian made anti ship cruise missiles can be canisterized...,I'm not sure for new land attack cruise missiles...simce it must fit inside 533mm capsule .This application already exist for exocet 39 AScM,Chinese C-801/2,Harpoon and Russian Kalibr/Club.
To be clear,this canisterized system is completly differnt from vertical canesterized lunching system(cold lunch) for balistic missiles....in this case whole capsule is lunched with missile inside....the capsule is used as torpedo for the underwater phase, and once it breaches the water surface, the front of the capsule is dropped and the missile itself is launched with the help of the additional booster.
C-708UNA

Harpoon

Last edited:
well in recent days i heard a really interesting rumers stating that the 9th day missile is developed to launch from under water units. is it possible and if it is how it's gonna work and what operational modes it's gonna have?
9دی.jpg

well in recent days i heard a really interesting rumers stating that the 9th day missile is developed to launch from under water units. is it possible and if it is how it's gonna work and what operational modes it's gonna have?
View attachment 540856
The big problem with this whole concept,apart from the obvious one of potentially giving your location away or at the very least alerting the enemy to your presence,is weapons guidance,how are you going to guide a sam from underwater?,you`d either have to fire the missile in fully active mode,assuming its an active radar seeker like an aim120/r77,which kills its range or you have to use something like a trailing fiber optic or wire cable to provide mid course guidance like you would with a torpedo.Now altho you could do this in theory the other big problem is target detection at long ranges.The problem with this whole idea is that it negates the submarines greatest asset which is its stealth.Nonetheless the germans appear to be looking at the idea seriously with the IDAS concept to arm the type 212 with,which frankly seems rather stupid as this is one of the worlds quietest submarines so why you would want to compromise that by shooting at aircraft I really dont know.
There were only a couple of attempts at this back in the late 60s/early 70s,and probably the best was the british SLAM which used radio guided blowpipe manpads on a telescopic mast.

Again

Again, Hoot does not have enough thrust to take off like that. This is a dedicated booster.
For what exactly?,its clearly not for a buoyant capsule system for a cruise missile,its certainly not a sub launched ballistic missile,so that would only really leave something like a booster for a torpedo,like an ss-n-15/16,tho theres no evidence that the iri navy operates these systems.
Incidentally the ss-n-15 has the same diameter and very similar weight and length to the shkval/hoot and its rocket motor is more than capable of launching it out of the water and giving it a flight range of around 50-75km,so I would think that a malfunctioning shkval/hoot with a rocket motor capable of propelling it to between 200-300knots underwater could certainly get it out of the water and flying for a short distance.

Velayat 97, also present the Sahand frigate and the Fateh submarine

DZgXRej.jpg

61xa3xs.jpg

eGZvt6S.jpg

e76nQYV.jpg

O0vhQ8R.jpg
Wait a min!! Is n,t this submarine Fateh 961!!! So, this means two Fatehs are already joined navy? The one that they initiated recently was Fateh 920!! or this just added that barrel looking thing on 920 too!!

what about the second fateh in Anzali!!

Back
Top Bottom