What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

will you can count them. its 39 rows and on the left you have the number of radars in each row.

View attachment 525821

If the model does not change

LOL!!!
I wondered if someone was going to count them.I was halfway tempted myself,but then I though fvck it!.

Its about a little more than a third of the number of modules in the euro APAR system[3424 on each array]
APAR.jpg

The uk SAMPSON is a little different with 2 back to back rotating arrays featuring 2600 modules on each array[5200 total]
HMS_Daring_SAMPSON_is_a_multi-function_AESA_radar.jpg

the israeli EL/M-2248 MF-STAR has 2500 modules per array
1540385224_236.jpg

Active_Phased_Array_Radar

Last edited:
Qadir can reach 200m depth base on this news!!!!
https://www.mashreghnews.ir/news/918267/زیردریایی-غدیر-تا-200-متر-پایین-می-رود

Fateh Submarine will operate in Oman sea.
Fateh 2 and 3 are in building process which it is very good news and mean Fateh successfully pass all of its mission tests.
https://www.mashreghnews.ir/news/918275/زیردریایی-فاتح-به-دریای-عمان-می-رود

No just one of Iran's Gadir sub's can and that's the new one that's likely built for deeper parts of the Persian Gulf while most of the Gadir fleet can't even reach 50 meters which is fine in the Persian Gulf for the average depth of the Persian Gulf is no more than ~30 meters or so

Fateh Submarine will operate in Oman sea.
Fateh 2 and 3 are in building process which it is very good news and mean Fateh successfully pass all of its mission tests.
https://www.mashreghnews.ir/news/918275/زیردریایی-فاتح-به-دریای-عمان-می-رود
I hope that this is true,but I`m really rather skeptical as we`ve heard very little,and seen even less,about the prototype of the fateh class despite it being launched several years ago now.It should not take anywhere near that long to shake down a prototype sub,which naturally leads me to wonder if they havent had some very serious problems with the boat,the most likely one,and possibly the hardest to fix,could be radiated noise.
After all if the boat was ready to be accepted and inducted into the navy I`m sure that there would have been a big show put on for it,but instead as yet.........nothing.
Also the fact that they have started building ghader class boats again after a 5 year[?] gap,which seems a little odd to me and frankly really makes me wonder if these improved ghaders are intended as a either a stopgap until all the problems with the fateh are ironed out,or perhaps as a low risk alternative if the fateh problems prove to be intractable.
Personally I hope I`m wrong about this,but the longer it takes to get this boat into service the more doubtful I become.

Last edited:
No, you are wrong my friend... Sahand Frigate uses 4 DESA Bonyan 4.0 Iranian engines each can produce 5000 hp (combined power of 20000 hp).

You can not reach even half of Sahand's max speed of 34 knots (64 km/h) with four CAT 3516B engines. Simply because each CAT 3516B engines can produce a max of 2000 hp.

So, my guess would be that this 2000 hp CAT engine is used for electricity generation.

For good information, the Caterpillar 3516 is made in different versions, the most powerful develops 3285 bhp thathttps://www.depco.com/caterpillar-3516-marine-engines/ certainly four engines of this type can not develop at the Sahand the 34 knots you indicate (since currently it has not been shown that he managed to develop during the tests), however, four engines of this version of the Caterpillar 3516 would develop over 13500 bhp, which however could be sufficient to bring the Sahand close to 30 knots (28/29 knots).

in this article do not indicate the 34 nodes, but it is stated that the Sahand manages to exceed 25 knots
https://www.tasnimnews.com/fa/news/1397/09/10/1888104/ویژگی-های-ناوشکن-پیشرفته-سهند

وی افزود: این ناوشکن هزار و 300 تن وزن، 96 متر طول و بیش از 25 گره دریایی سرعت دارد.
It seems that those who wrote the article made a mistake in indicating the displacement of the Sahand, but certainly the affirmation of a speed over 25 knots, speed approaching what I hypothesized using 4 Caterpillar 3516 diesel engines shown in the photos posted earlier in reference to Sahand

I hope that this is true,but I`m really rather skeptical as we`ve heard very little,and seen even less,about the prototype of the fateh class despite it being launched .
Personally I hope I`m wrong about this,but the longer it takes to get this boat into service the more doubtful I become.

I am not sure why Iranian officials are trying to hide the fact that Fateh submarine has been already launched many years ago and participated in at least one real war game in Oman see next to Indian Ocean as clearly shown in the presentation given by Admiral Sayyadi during that war game on national TV screens!

I am not sure why Iranian officials are trying to hide the fact that Fateh submarine has been already launched many years ago and participated in at least one real war game in Oman see next to Indian Ocean as clearly shown in the presentation given by Admiral Sayyadi during that war game on national TV screens!
Yes,its a bit of a mystery alright,but the longer it goes on without any official word on it being accepted and inducted into the navy the more pessimistic I tend to become.

Yes,its a bit of a mystery alright,but the longer it goes on without any official word on it being accepted and inducted into the navy the more pessimistic I tend to become.

2 years of testing, crew training, maintenance training & gathering data is standard practice for new class like that especially if Iran plans on building more they would need to gather as much data as they can to program in limitations on the sub, adjust navigation controls, figure out optimal cruise depth, cruise speeds at various depths, test various weapons and sensors, gather data for simulators,.....
Although Iran should have built it's 3rd Fatteh by now if that was truly the plan
March 2019 will be the 2nd years the Fatteh was 1st fielded for testing and they say they plan on adding it to the fleet officially in April so we'll see

Although if the production rate is going to be this slow they should have moved on to a larger force multiplier. Same with Iran's Mowj class because Iran's Mowj class simply lacks the fire power to be of much use against the U.S. Navy any more than 400-500km from Iranian soil where they can have other Iranian platforms backing them

I always think that without proper air-cover how vulnerable these surface vessels are. Even if this nely designed vessels are for Persian gulf only, where is the air cover ? why is there no strong IRIN-AF providing cover to this growing fleet while also attacking enemy vessels with ALCM.

I think all F-4 E/D fleet should be dedicated to naval role. They have the size and power to carry out such missions.

I always think that without proper air-cover how vulnerable these surface vessels are. Even if this nely designed vessels are for Persian gulf only, where is the air cover ? why is there no strong IRIN-AF providing cover to this growing fleet while also attacking enemy vessels with ALCM.

I think all F-4 E/D fleet should be dedicated to naval role. They have the size and power to carry out such missions.

I think what they should at this point be more worried about is intercepting projectiles coming towards them 1st, then move on towards giving the ships good air defense capability while the Navy moves towards building it's own advanced jet powered UCAV's with Air to Air and Air to ground capability (Preferably one that can takeoff and land on water or with VTOL capability if possible)

Iran at max has ~60 or so operational F-4's and in Air to Air combat against an AESA equipped F-15 they simply will not even achieve a 1(Iran) to 10(U.S.) Kill ratio which basically means you rally can't fight them with that Aircraft for your entire fleet would hardly put a dent in their fleet.

Fact is at Iran's level of technology compared to the U.S. you would need a manned fighter produced at such high rates that 1-10 kill ratio becomes standard desired outcome which makes UCAV's a far more feasible option especially when it comes to maintenance because it's one thing to build 2000 Kowsar fighter jet and quite another to maintain them and train pilots and maintenance crew for them over a long period where as with UCAV's we are talking airframes & engines that cost a fraction of the cost, that don't need to carry a vast number of components because of an onboard pilot with easier maintenance and maintenance training for most of it will revolve around changing parts with new ones during combat that are cheaper easily replicable and mass produced, most of the pilot training is on computer simulations and your pilots wouldn't need to handle high G's or be fit alpha males with 20/20 vision..., where rather than paying large amounts to maintain a manned fleet that money instead goes towards increasing your fleet.

And if it was up to me for the Navy I would have focused on a high maneuvering and agile transonic UCAV (supersonic if possible) equipped with 2 internal weapons bay's each bay with ~1000-1,500lp payload capacity with engine(s) that have greater than 1 thrust to weight when fueled and armed that are easily mass produced but are cheaper due to low lifespan.

Because these ships are not ment for war, at least not for a war where they survive. They are ment for regional deterrence, anti piracy, and protecting territorial waters in non war times.

They teach Iran how to build vessels and allow a platform to test successive new technologies that will eventually make it to Iran’s first destroyers.

It’s a slow path, Navy isn’t the major priority right now. With your adversary fielding the most advanced Navy in the world, you aren’t going to start really focusing on Navy until other areas (air defense, army, BMs, etc) are adequately upgraded and developed fully.

Baring a sudden major modernization program, I don’t see Iran fielding a large Navy for at least another 25 years (possibly longer).

In next 25 years Iran should be expected to field:

~8-10 more Mowj vessels
~5-6 more Fateh submarines
~2-3 Besat Heavy Submarines
~1-2 Persian Gulf Ships
~3 dedicated Iranian destroyers (Persian Gulf Class size).

Because these ships are not ment for war, at least not for a war where they survive. They are ment for regional deterrence, anti piracy, and protecting territorial waters in non war times.

They teach Iran how to build vessels and allow a platform to test successive new technologies that will eventually make it to Iran’s first destroyers.

It’s a slow path, Navy isn’t the major priority right now. With your adversary fielding the most advanced Navy in the world, you aren’t going to start really focusing on Navy until other areas (air defense, army, BMs, etc) are adequately upgraded and developed fully.

Baring a sudden major modernization program, I don’t see Iran fielding a large Navy for at least another 25 years (possibly longer).

In next 25 years Iran should be expected to field:

~8-10 more Mowj vessels
~5-6 more Fateh submarines
~2-3 Besat Heavy Submarines
~1-2 Persian Gulf Ships
~3 dedicated Iranian destroyers (Persian Gulf Class size).
number of moudge class ships are decided already Sahand ,Jamaran and damavand (sank) in service and 4 will be added at later dates so we expect that the overall number of Moudge class ships will be 6

2 years of testing, crew training, maintenance training & gathering data is standard practice for new class like that especially if Iran plans on building more they would need to gather as much data as they can to program in limitations on the sub, adjust navigation controls, figure out optimal cruise depth, cruise speeds at various depths, test various weapons and sensors, gather data for simulators,.....
Although Iran should have built it's 3rd Fatteh by now if that was truly the plan
March 2019 will be the 2nd years the Fatteh was 1st fielded for testing and they say they plan on adding it to the fleet officially in April so we'll see

Although if the production rate is going to be this slow they should have moved on to a larger force multiplier. Same with Iran's Mowj class because Iran's Mowj class simply lacks the fire power to be of much use against the U.S. Navy any more than 400-500km from Iranian soil where they can have other Iranian platforms backing them

Are you guys interested in the Type 054A frigate?

China can offer a reasonable discount price with TOT.

We are seeking for a deeper relationship, not just for money.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom