What's new

Iranian military engine development news and updates

I knew that the North Koreans the Mig-29 had only assembled them with the parts sent by Moscow, so it's different that they build them totally under license.

Engine is likely done and in testing /extensive use to check for issues.

If you look back you can see Owj engine at the time of Ahmadinejad adminstration yet it was officially unveiled under Rouhani admin.

Actually OWJ engine (J85) predates Ahmadinejad.... A lot of Iran's Fighter related projects were Shahid Sattari project that by the most part were mismanaged and slowly came to a halt after his death
If he had another decade Iran would have been done with mass producing every part of the F-5 including it's engines by 2005 and we would have moved far past the F-5 by now...

Work on designing heavy turbo fan engines with 34000 to 35000 pounds thrust has been started.

آغاز طراحی موتور توربوفن در داخل کشور

This is quite an impressive spec for this engine. For reference, I think the F-35's engine gives out 40,000 ib of thrust. This engine is much more powerful than the RD-33... So imagine two of these engines powering Iran's fighter jet project.

I am a little upset we're only in the designing phase but given this is such a big development, I am overall very happy.

This is quite an impressive spec for this engine. For reference, I think the F-35's engine gives out 40,000 ib of thrust. This engine is much more powerful than the RD-33... So imagine two of these engines powering Iran's fighter jet project.

I am a little upset we're only in the designing phase but given this is such a big development, I am overall very happy.

It is more likely than not a high bypass turbofan engine meant for Passenger airliners and if so 35,000 lbf is really not that much
old 747's fly with JT9D and depending on the variant they have anywhere between 40,000lbf - 55,000lbf of Max Thrust and A380 have engines with a max trust of over 80,000 lbf

So 35,000lbf is more likely a High bypass turbofan engine similar to the Russian PS90's that power the Tu-204's and Il-76 and 96 variants

It is more likely than not a high bypass turbofan engine meant for Passenger airliners and if so 35,000 lbf is really not that much
old 747's fly with JT9D and depending on the variant they have anywhere between 40,000lbf - 55,000lbf of Max Thrust and A380 have engines with a max trust of over 80,000 lbf

So 35,000lbf is more likely a High bypass turbofan engine similar to the Russian PS90's that power the Tu-204's and Il-76 and 96 variants
even if its a passenger engine I'll be very happy with it. to be honest I'd be far more happier than if it was a military engine.

even if its a passenger engine I'll be very happy with it. to be honest I'd be far more happier than if it was a military engine.

Yea well from an engineering perspective military engines are in many ways easier especially if your actually capable of producing all the martials that will be needed yourself....

Both in terms of design, production and quality hi by pass turbofan for civilian passenger are far more complex, need to be of a much higher quality and are much harder to produce due to not only their size and the fact that they have to transport civilians across long distances constantly and go to places with limited access to major maintenance and need to achieve much higher flight to maintenance hours and are required to achieve much higher flight hours on a regular bases so they also need to be of a much higher quality and far more efficient...

Where as a fighter jet usually takes off and lands at it's own base, has time for a far more detailed inspection and maintenance after each flight and usually across it's lifespan it's flight hours average out to no doubt less than an hour per day

So designing and producing a relatively good size and quality 35,000lbf civilian Turbofan engine is by far more complex and complicated than a military low bypass turbofan engine.
And that's why I think Iran should of 1st started with ~ 4ft or less in diameter low bypass as appose to a larger turbofan that's +6ft.....

Although military low bypass turbofan engines usually run at much hotter temperatures compared to their thrust so it could very well be martials needed that Iran is having trouble producing but if this engine they are talking about has a turbine inlet temp of at least 2000F then producing a low by pass engine should be easier and they should have started with that!

As said Vevak the fact that iranians are developing civil jet engines that is more difficult to produce than military's ones, it means that their military's jet engine is already operational. Seeing the amazing chinese progress, prowess, because China with its WS-15 is already enough mature. Chineses had been helping iranians to do so, and in the very near future, a new iranian RD-33 looking like WS-13E will be seen next. Chinese could become the main iranian's weapon provider. The Bavar 373, as many iranian anti stealth radars are the consequence chinese's help to Iran.

As said Vevak the fact that iranians are developing civil jet engines that is more difficult to produce than military's ones, it means that their military's jet engine is already operational. Seeing the amazing chinese progress, prowess, because China with its WS-15 is already enough mature. Chineses had been helping iranians to do so, and in the very near future, a new iranian RD-33 looking like WS-13E will be seen next. Chinese could become the main iranian's weapon provider. The Bavar 373, as many iranian anti stealth radars are the consequence chinese's help to Iran.

The Chinese did not even hold their end of the bargain by properly supplying the c-802, in the end Iran had to produce its own engine and seeker for it. Bavar-373 and other Iranians air defence advancement have nothing to do with China. And Iran is not these Persian gulf states, no one will be Iran's "main supplier"! We don't need anyone to supply us nor can we rely on them! Only arena Iran is really lagging behind in is the airforce and in the end, like everything else, it will be Iran itself that will end up making what it needs but you think a country that would not even properly supply Iran with a cruise missile in the past is now helping Iran will all these things like jet engines?

I am not saying I would be upset with nations like Russia or China helping us in some way, but don't overestimate their help. Any Chinese help to Iran so far is miniscule.

Last edited:

China doesn’t have an original brain cell in its body.

Much of what China has achieved has been through coercion, espionage, and stealing of intellectual property.

Let’s not act like China is Germany of the 1930’s.

Even your J-31 is nothing more than a poor man’s F-35. China is hardly a friend of Iran and certainly no ally.

Even your J-31 is nothing more than a poor man’s F-35. China is hardly a friend of Iran and certainly no ally.
At first Sir, Iam not chinese, and it is not my FC-31 -not J-31-, but chinese's new fighter. Moreover, when U see Germany gave up the the F-35, it does mean that this aircraft is very far to be amazing. If you regard the appraisals about its using above the Middle East's theater, it is far to be shine. Aside the FC-31, Iam far to be agree about what U said concerning chinese's help to Iran, however it is a forum, and everybody deserves to think, to say how he feels. My hope is to see next Iran to defeat US, Saudi Arabia, and Israel. Iran can afford it, but it lacks of a fleet of fighters. If only Iran can develop an RD-33 it would be a very good beginning.

PS- Does it exist here a forum about North Korea please ?

Last edited:
Iran already has its powerful engine, it is already manufactured. Sorry to tell you. Iran often deceives you in their advertising process because in fact they are more advanced than they say in many military sectors. And stop underestimating Iran on their military technology. Iran is 90% self-sufficient and aims for 100%.

Iran should do this, Iran should do that but stop the big delusion. Thousands of Iranian scientists do not need your advice to do military high technology.

When, Iran will introduce you its new engine, it will already be in function. I think you already have a lot of clue to understand the announcement process of the Iranian army as magnificent and misleading. Bavar 373 has absolutely nothing to do with China. It will be very very soon presented and will surprise the world. Iran must never be underestimated

The issue is not manfuctirng a military jet engine. Most developed nations if they truly wanted could do so.

The issue is economic cost of such a program vs merely buying from an established player.

After building the engine, the issue then becomes being able to mass produce the engine at a reasonable cost. Furthermore, the life of the engine, it’s efficency, it’s power, it’s maintenance requirement then all need to be assessed and analayzed.

After that bugs and bottlenecks need to be addressed because if a missile fails it likely just explodes in flight or upon launch. If a fighter jet engine fails it can result in the complete destruction of the plane and pilot. Thus these things cannot be rushed.

Hence why most countries end up just buying technology/engines from the main players in this field rather than build an engine from scratch.

At this point Iran has demonstrated knowledge to be able to build a J-79 (owj). If China is 10 years behind Russia/US in engine technology than Iran is likely 30-40 years behind based on Owj engine.

yes, a local version of J79, 30-40 even 50 years late, would consume more fuel than a modern engine, would also make more smoke, but would be produced locally, therefore without the risk of remaining without spare parts coming from abroad.
However around one or two of these "owj" J79 it would always be possible to make a high performance fighter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom