What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

Word on the street... Artesh will receive delivery of Karrar MBT first, then the IRGC will also receive their first batch afterwards.

Delivery ceremony expected soon.

Army will receive a kind of low rate production batch soon and has recently signed a contract for further serial batches. A batch "0" was delivered for testing and its success is the reason why they signed a contract for higher numbers with the DM.

This "real contract" thing could be the first large scale tank purchase of the Army after the early 90's contract with Russians for T-72S. I guess several hundert were ordered and financed with the defense ministry.

If IRGC also place their order after field acceptance, the production line at Dorood will get quite busy.

Army will receive a kind of low rate production batch soon and has recently signed a contract for further serial batches. A batch "0" was delivered for testing and its success is the reason why they signed a contract for higher numbers with the DM.

This "real contract" thing could be the first large scale tank purchase of the Army after the early 90's contract with Russians for T-72S. I guess several hundert were ordered and financed with the defense ministry.

If IRGC also place their order after field acceptance, the production line at Dorood will get quite busy.
I wonder if these sort of tanks is suitable for how irgc operate.

Saturday, February 17, 2018
Army to Employ Advanced Homegrown Tank

A senior general said the domestically-developed advanced “Karrar” tank is to be employed by the Army in the near future.

Speaking to reporters in Tehran on Thursday, Commander of Army’s Ground Force Lieutenant General Heidari said the Karrar is one of the country’s unique products and the contract for employing it has been signed by the Ground Force, Tasnim News Agency reported.

The tank is planned to be used in the missions and war games of the Ground Force soon, the commander added.

Karrar is a class of Iranian tanks that enjoys modern technologies. Its earlier version is already in service, together with other locally-made tanks like Zolfaqar.

Iranian military experts and technicians have in recent years made great headways in manufacturing a broad range of indigenous equipment, making the armed forces mostly self-sufficient in the arms sphere.

persian_gulf_soldiers-20180221-0004.jpg
persian_gulf_soldiers-20180221-0003.jpg
persian_gulf_soldiers-20180221-0002.jpg

This is probably the largest weaponry purchase from a local supplier in Iran's history, is that correct?

Shame satellite imagery is updated relatively infrequently.

This is probably the largest weaponry purchase from a local supplier in Iran's history, is that correct?

Depending on how far Iran is willing to go, and if it actually goes through, certainly. Of course, the 400-500 or so T-72S that we made in Iran were bought from Russia and I believe were knock down kits. The thing is, I'm just scared that this will be little more than a deep modernisation of the existing 400 or so T-72S that Iran has in service. For a vast country like Iran with so many threats around it I'm sure this number is far too small. Iran currently has a force of about 1000 active tanks, though many of them are showing their age. All these tin cans need to be replaced, the M47s and Chieftains need to go. I maintain that we have to consider making these Karrars in large numbers, probably over nearer to 2000 than 1000...

Shame satellite imagery is updated relatively infrequently.

Depending on how far Iran is willing to go, and if it actually goes through, certainly. Of course, the 400-500 or so T-72S that we made in Iran were bought from Russia and I believe were knock down kits. The thing is, I'm just scared that this will be little more than a deep modernisation of the existing 400 or so T-72S that Iran has in service. For a vast country like Iran with so many threats around it I'm sure this number is far too small. Iran currently has a force of about 1000 active tanks, though many of them are showing their age. All these tin cans need to be replaced, the M47s and Chieftains need to go. I maintain that we have to consider making these Karrars in large numbers, probably over nearer to 2000 than 1000...

To much corruption for something like 2000 tanks to be produced. Meanwhile Eygpt with a much smaller GDP and only a $5 billion military budget have a larger tank force that they bought as well at a higher price. Just goes to show how much corruption and under performance exists in the Iranian army. Iran should be much better than this.

Of a system of that degree of complexity yes.

-We had the assembly of Russian T-72S kits
-We had the license production of the T-72S
-We had own production of T-72S with Russia stopping license support
-We had Raad-2 production run with modified T-72S chassis for IRGC

and now we have a combination of completely new Karrar production and possible T-72S upgrades to Karrar standard.
The problem are the thousands of parts that needs to be produced in numbers. Remains to be seen if a serious production run with large quantities can be achieved. Until now Irans priority were not to spend much money on such complex land systems.

Of a system of that degree of complexity yes.

-We had the assembly of Russian T-72S kits
-We had the license production of the T-72S
-We had own production of T-72S with Russia stopping license support
-We had Raad-2 production run with modified T-72S chassis for IRGC

and now we have a combination of completely new Karrar production and possible T-72S upgrades to Karrar standard.
The problem are the thousands of parts that needs to be produced in numbers. Remains to be seen if a serious production run with large quantities can be achieved. Until now Irans priority were not to spend much money on such complex land systems.
Yes,its some what ironic,the gulfies and vassals spend ridiculously obscene sums on weapons they dont need and likely cant even use properly,while iran desnt even begin to spend even nearly enough on the basic systems apart from just a small number of hi-tech deterrence weapons.It is truly a fu#ked up situation.

I'm fearful it will be the other way around - that they will just upgrade the existing T-72S' to Karrar standard and then not make any new ones.

Back
Top Bottom