What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

Iran still rely on Chinhook for transport, why not buy Mi-26? How many CHs crashed due to malfunction in the past decades?
probably less than 1-2
I'm just aware of one crashed near karaj 5 years ago.
by the way i don't say mil-26 is bad , but really there is no problem with the design and reliability of CH-47

Last edited:
Iran could only modernize and make fully operational its helicopter fleet and transport/lifting by getting:

-Mi-26, transport, lift versions
- Ka-52 to replace Mi-171sh, or Mi-28NE and Ka-52 and remove completely the Cobras and Mi-171sh
can you explain why Ka-52 and Mi-28NE are better than upgraded AH-1J after all those AH-1j can fire AIM-9 ,I'm not aware of such option on KA-52, the best option they have access to is Igla . and

the only difference i see here is they carry 12 air to ground missile and those Cobra carry 8

For people wanting 100% indigenous, does Iran have the capability to produce it's own helicopters? Does it have the engines? I'm not talking about modernizing the cobras but making them
the solution is not buying ka-52 or mil-28 . the solution is to buy the engine and use it in the indigenous designs .

can you explain why Ka-52 and Mi-28NE are better than upgraded AH-1J after all those AH-1j can fire AIM-9 ,I'm not aware of such option on KA-52, the best option they have access to is Igla . and

the only difference i see here is they carry 12 air to ground missile and those Cobra carry 8

the solution is not buying ka-52 or mil-28 . the solution is to buy the engine and use it in the indigenous designs .

AH-1J has better armaments available for use. KA-52 is very low on guided munitions problem is Russia not helicopter.

The KA-52 has a better protection system (and an ejection system) for its pilots. AH-1J will be shot down at an alarming rate if opposition has sufficient access to decent manpads or a light AA system like Majid or 538 missile.

AH-1J has better armaments available for use. KA-52 is very low on guided munitions problem is Russia not helicopter.

The KA-52 has a better protection system (and an ejection system) for its pilots. AH-1J will be shot down at an alarming rate if opposition has sufficient access to decent manpads or a light AA system like Majid or 538 missile.
Listen i don't know, he tells me that no need to buy S-500 neither S-400 neither Su-35, that Su-35 would get beaten by Kowsar and that JF-17 and any western fighters and chinese fighter will shut it down easily, that it's pure crap because of the PESA radar only, that Russia doesn't have any zhuk AESA radars to install on Su-35 on demand, that Iran should build all and just wait and not buying anything and instead putting all the money and the Kowsar project and Bavar while still having an outdated airforce and Bavar not produced in large numbers yet (and i asked if Bavars were deployed or if there are OSINT with satellite images showing Bavar operational installations and got no response, also if we had officials speeches about the Kowsar project and its advancements, i find nothing but articles dating from 2018)

That Iran doesn't need any helicopter but that they should buy an helicopter engine from Russia and make their own helicopter with an indigenous design (i guess a transfer of helicopter engine technology that's what he means), i don't know in how much year Iran will be able to produce its first indigenous attack helicopter from scratch

Like is it a sin for Hack Hook to buy anything from Russia? Iran is in need of recent aircrafts and lifting/transport reliable helicopters, Mi-26

Like you said KA-52 has way better protection system and the ejection is crucial, the pilot is worth way more than the helicopter, we saw it performing good in Ukraine, way better protection against MANPADS, AH-1J takes a manpads, if the helicopter crashes, the pilot dies with it too, same for malfunctions since they are old, if there is a malfunction, helicopter and both pilots, both gone

KA-52 would be useful for striking terrorists at the borders or on a supposed use if a war starts between Azerbaijan republic, separatist and terrorist groups only have some manpads for aerial defence, KA-52 is well equipped to avoid manpads https://rostec.ru/en/news/4517944/
President-S includes a laser illumination detector, ultraviolet missile approach warning system, electro-optical electronic warfare system, decoy flares, and control system. The design of the President-S system includes a number of units (stations), which can be placed both within the helicopter airframe and on external attachment fittings.
This is also present on Mi-28NE, why Ka-52 would be better is for its ejection seats

Tell me how many tanks does Iran have in total, i am betting half of them are T-62 or T-55/Type-69, this is probably the same for the helicopter fleet, 200 helicopter are cool, but if 80% of them are obsolete and at risk of malfunction and crash at anytime then it means nothing

Iran still rely on Chinhook for transport, why not buy Mi-26? How many CHs crashed due to malfunction in the past decades? Even China uses Mi-26, it's time to change

For attack and scout helicopters Iran rely on Mi-171Sh with rocket pods and Cobras at risk of crash for technical reasons at all times, maintaining them at high cost, forced to get parts on black markets

Iran could only modernize and make fully operational its helicopter fleet and transport/lifting by getting:

-Mi-26, transport, lift versions
- Ka-52 to replace Mi-171sh, or Mi-28NE and Ka-52 and remove completely the Cobras and Mi-171sh

For people wanting 100% indigenous, does Iran have the capability to produce it's own helicopters? Does it have the engines? I'm not talking about modernizing the cobras but making them

In a supposed war scenario against Azerbaijan republic, what Iran have currently for CAS beside these cobras and Mi-171sh? Su-22 crashing all time?
I`d look at replacing the mil-171sh with the mil-35m.
The combination of mil-28 or ka-52,plus the mil-35,would be a very potent one.
Ultimately at some point iran really does need to begin to start to rationalise its helo fleet,as it currently operates a plethora of types,many of which are getting very,very long in the tooth,not to mention all of the costs logistically and maintenance wise that such a fleet imposes on its operator.

I`d look at replacing the mil-171sh with the mil-35m.
The combination of mil-28 or ka-52,plus the mil-35,would be a very potent one.
Ultimately at some point iran really does need to begin to start to rationalise its helo fleet,as it currently operates a plethora of types,many of which are getting very,very long in the tooth,not to mention all of the costs logistically and maintenance wise that such a fleet imposes on its operator.
was it potent in Ukraine ?

This is also present on Mi-28NE, why Ka-52 would be better is for its ejection seats
problem with them is very little smart ammunition available for them , the pilot need to really get close to enemy , AH-1J have plahora of smart ammunition , can be armed with heat seeking air to air missile ,

and about its survivability , well Toofan-II upgrade solve some problem regarding its armor

Listen i don't know, he tells me that no need to buy S-500 neither S-400 neither Su-35, that Su-35 would get beaten by Kowsar and that JF-17 and any western fighters and chinese fighter will shut it down easily, that it's pure crap because of the PESA radar only, that Russia doesn't have any zhuk AESA radars to install on Su-35 on demand, that Iran should build all and just wait and not buying anything and instead putting all the money and the Kowsar project and Bavar while still having an outdated airforce and Bavar not produced in large numbers yet (and i asked if Bavars were deployed or if there are OSINT with satellite images showing Bavar operational installations and got no response, also if we had officials speeches about the Kowsar project and its advancements, i find nothing but articles dating from 2018)
I even show a video taken by russian themselves that clearly show the radar on Su-35 can only get a viable lock on a mig-29 which is in front of it at 42km and you still say its not crap ?
you say russia have enough zhuk . ok answer this why they changed the AESA radar on Mig-35 to PESA .
another question for you , how mane AESA radar is installed on Russian fighters . in fact which one of them come with AESA radar ,and please don't make me start by mentioning Forward flap L-band radar on su-35

I even show a video taken by russian themselves that clearly show the radar on Su-35 can only get a viable lock on a mig-29 which is in front of it at 42km and you still say its not crap ?
you say russia have enough zhuk . ok answer this why they changed the AESA radar on Mig-35 to PESA .
another question for you , how mane AESA radar is installed on Russian fighters . in fact which one of them come with AESA radar ,and please don't make me start by mentioning Forward flap L-band radar on su-35
I didn't said that Russia have enough zhuk but that you say Russia don't have zhuk, but that whatever it takes, Su-35 is a piece of trash no matter what because of its PESA radar. Iran cannot buy western weapons, China never propose anything to Iran beside J-10A, again i'm not going to go into it, i understand what you mean, Iran has to build itself the Kowsars superior to Su-35, wait for Bavar, buy nothing and that's gonna benefit Iran i understood your point

i am not only looking at the numbers of Ka-52 shut down by Stingers, this isn't an indicator to say if its crap or if its potent, Ka-52 could have destroyed way more tanks/armored vehicles than it crashed, in 8 month of MANPADS heavy war it losts 20 Ka-52, for Mi-28, 6 have been lost

And Iran again cannot buy western choppers, i don't have that much information about China Z-10, if it have more smart ammunition panel, but again even, China is never willing to propose something to Iran, they only care about Iran oil, this is the difference with Pakistan, China is focused on its personal interests, they have military coop with Pakistan because of India, they both have interests in this, China doesn't have any interests with Iran beside having discounted oil this is why Iran and China have coop only in trade and strategy, they even sold missiles to Saudi Arabia

Iran could keep the cobras if highly needed, but like Sineva said, Iran needs to rationalize and organize its helicopter fleet, naval helicopters (Iran could mount their anti ship missiles on them, i know this is done on some helicopter they got, but Iran should make a big clean of its inventory, paying too much for a lot of different helos), attack helicopters and crucially lifting, transport/emergency helicopters (Mi-26)

I didn't said that Russia have enough zhuk but that you say Russia don't have zhuk, but that whatever it takes, Su-35 is a piece of trash no matter what because of its PESA radar. Iran cannot buy western weapons, China never propose anything to Iran beside J-10A, again i'm not going to go into it, i understand what you mean, Iran has to build itself the Kowsars superior to Su-35, wait for Bavar, buy nothing and that's gonna benefit Iran i understood your point
I say watch the video yes it's trash if it get a lock on a mig 29 which is infrnt of its nose at 42 km. No matter if it have aesa or pesa or planar dopler radar.

i am not only looking at the numbers of Ka-52 shut down by Stingers, this isn't an indicator to say if its crap or if its potent, Ka-52 could have destroyed way more tanks/armored vehicles than it crashed, in 8 month of MANPADS heavy war it losts 20 Ka-52, for Mi-28, 6 have been lost
How many tank they killed in Iran Iraq war 4 ah-1j stopped the advance of a column of 80 Iraq tank and saved the city of Dezful and did it in one day.
Those helicopter may have ejection sit, my can carry more ammo but their weaponry simply lacs compared to our upgraded ah-1j weapons.
Each toofan-2 can destroy 8 x of any tank with its almas missile from 8_10 kn away or 2 tanks from 30km away. Ka-52 had to go as near as 5 km

And Iran again cannot buy western choppers, i don't have that much information about China Z-10,
Why Iran want to do that I have posted a video of sardar salami from yesterday that he said we want to defend our country with our weapon.
About helicopter Iran can produce all te parts of various bell and upgraded helicopter the only problem is engine if we want more helicopter we simply must buy the engine and build the helicopter.
And you guys may say those helicopter are old but the only advantage you could mention for ka-52 was its ejection sit.
Tell me is it enough for us to abandon our toofan-2 that we knew it's in and out and have better weapon in favor of ka-52 and mil-28

Iran could keep the cobras if highly needed, but like Sineva said, Iran needs to rationalize and organize its helicopter fleet, naval helicopters (Iran could mount their anti ship missiles on them, i know this is done on some helicopter they got, but Iran should make a big clean of its inventory, paying too much for a lot of different helos), attack helicopters and crucially lifting, transport/emergency helicopters (Mi-26)
Well the only thing I agree is on heavy transport as we only have around 30 x ch-47 and there is a need there

By the way maintaining those bell helicopter are not that much problem. They use many interchangeable part and we have the facility to build those helicopters

The problem is not here it's our airforce and it's circus fleet.

Last edited:
Well the only thing I agree is on heavy transport as we only have around 30 x ch-47 and there is a need there

By the way maintaining those bell helicopter are not that much problem. They use many interchangeable part and we have the facility to build those helicopters

The problem is not here it's our airforce and it's circus fleet.

We do not build engine for Bell. So saying we have helicopter production facility doesn’t make sense. Where are engines coming from then?

Do you really think that irans 1970s era cobras would have been any more effective?
The russians problems were just as much,if not more in fact,a failure of planning,tactics and overall strategy as it was any deficiencies in their weapons.
The russians weapons system failures were the same ones that most western militaries also face in anything other than a very short war against a hopelessly outmatched opponent,ie very small stocks of very expensive pgms that require very expensive launch platforms,ie an over reliance on manned air power as a sort of jack-of-all-trades,one size fits all,military swiss-army knife.The other glaring failing was russias seeming inability to develop a modern drone industry,and this has cost it dearly.
Nonetheless iran badly needs to modernise the manned airpower component of its military,and short of some "nixon goes to china" type of grand bargain between iran and the west which resets relations and enables iran to purchase western military hardware,well that pretty much just leaves only russia and china as potential suppliers of these sorts of weapons

Do you really think that irans 1970s era cobras would have been any more effective?
as i said , they can engage targets 30km away m what is the distance for KA-52 ? 5km.
We do not build engine for Bell. So saying we have helicopter production facility doesn’t make sense. Where are engines coming from then?
turkey , produce helicopter , they import the engine right now , but no matter what they design and produce their helicopter. importing the engine don't mean we are not able to produce the helicopter.
and because of the advantage in weaponry i rather we stick with toofan II instead of ka-52 and just import the engine from Russia or China, or if they are not willing to sell us that , we try and build the engine ourselves, if we have the capability to build working Jahesh-700 or Tuloue-14 that beside us I'm only aware of GE managing to build such engine then i say we are also capable of building a 1400 hp engine for helicopters

Nonetheless iran badly needs to modernise the manned airpower component of its military,and short of some "nixon goes to china" type of grand bargain between iran and the west which resets relations and enables iran to purchase western military hardware,well that pretty much just leaves only russia and china as potential suppliers of these sorts of weapons
as i said , the problem is in Air Force not Army aviation . the army aviation as far as i care can use drones for the attack against enemy in battle field .
for air force what i'm against is buying for the sake of buying something , Su-35 can't change anything in battle field compared to our neighbors or any nato members . its radar and E-warfare system is simply are not up to the task.
even Kowsar is not be able to do the task , but there is a difference here , by buying su-35 we learn nothing , instead of buying that 3-4 squadron of su-35 we can do our route , invest of Kowsar . by doing that we gain experience in managing the production line for domestic airplanes , we build the base industry that can be used in nesxt generation of kowsar and we build a force that can replace must of our circus airplanes and later actually can be used as potent platform for advanced trainer when we built the next generation kowsar in 5-6 year after domestic turbofan engine become ready .

and again 2-3 day ago Sardar Salami commander in chief of IRGC reiterated what i say here , "We want to protect our country with our own weapon"

Back
Top Bottom