What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

So IRGC lead organization got priority funding for their projects as usual...

View attachment 803155

...and then those IRGC fanboys brag about "achievements and successes of IRGC" made possible by nepotism, cronyism and favoritism when IRGC milks Iran-Iraq War for all its worth.
defense industry organization is not IRGC

This sentence reminds me of cancerous people that support Croatian Democratic Union(HDZ) in my country.

There are limited number of T-72 to upgrade and that was favored instead of having capability to mass produce main battle tanks domestically to increase number of armor while also recover any losses during potential war while by just upgrading T-72 tanks that can't be repaired once destroyed beyond any attempt of salvage being worthwhile hence no way to recover losses.

If I remember correctly Director of DIO is IRGC member that manages and leads DIO.

Also another IRGC member that does inspection to Ministry of Defense involving Armed Forces Logistics... Hence can apply pressure to prioritize IRGC.
You are drawing the wrong conclusion here. the karrar is a superior design to the Zolfagar.It has better armour, higher mobility and much more advanced fire control system with Thermal sights plus the fact that it is designed by DIO (not IRGC) means that there is even a factory to build it in compared to a project headed by the Army that have no such factories. The fact that it is built on existing T-72 chassis( 500+ fleet) is a bonus because it saves a lot of money. Iran already has the ability to build T-72S so more hulls can be built if Karrar is to exceed the total number of T-72s.

Last edited:
The Karrar is designed by a subsidiary of MOD, They get their own funding from the budget, Separate from IRGC and the Artesh. Also the MOD is headed by an Artesh member.

Don’t reason with him. He is anti-IRGC and a schmuck.

You are drawing the wrong conclusion here. the karrar is a superior design to the Zolfagar.It has better armour, higher mobility and much more advanced fire control system with Thermal sights plus the fact that it is designed by DIO (not IRGC) means that there is even a factory to build it in compared to a project headed by the Army that have no such factories. The fact that it is built on existing T-72 chassis( 500+ fleet) is a bonus because it saves a lot of money. Iran already has the ability to build T-72S so more hulls can be built if Karrar is to exceed the total number of T-72s.
Ironically you're drawing wrong conclusions since if Iran can build T-72S then it doesn't save money as they had to purchase and or develop and manufacture new machines and tooling to be able to do such while in comparison Zolfagar is using machinery and tooling that Iran already has as it previously invested in maintaining M60 fleet by producing various spare parts and its components.

It does not matter that Iranian Army doesn't have factory as Defense Industries Organization could have produced it as contractors and mere fact that one has to have own factories in order for their project to be even considered for production is simply irrational unless issue here is that DIO did not want to produce it and favored its own pet project that in the end got funding.

For example in world of semiconductors TSMC is producing chips for companies that don't have own fabrication plants along those that previously had such as AMD.

Army not having factories is non-issue unless Iran by itself doesn't have capacity and or capability to mass produce Zolfigar regardless if Iranian Army had or had not own factory.

Each pair of road wheels and tracks on M60 are designed to handle 8 tons compared to T-72 being 7 tons thus 15% higher load capacity for M60 hence how much weight does Karrar upgrade package add to T-72 since those will increase wear and tear compared to Zolfigar that has additional pair of road wheels to address increased weight compared to M60.

Stated weight of Zolfigar 3 is 52 tons hence in fact ground pressure would be lower than M60A1 that Iran has along lower than initial M60 before A1 thus Zolfigar 3 will less frequently have need to change sections of its tracks thus more reliable. Another is that they have 4 ton margin for armor on the point where lifespan of tracks matches original M60 tank.

If going for ground pressure of M60A3 then that would be 58 tons and think of potential of Zolfigar chassis design modified to be a transporter erector launcher for solid fuel IRBM / ICBM.

Another use case for such chassis would be for heavy self propelled howitzer such as PZH-2000 as example as it is 56 tons heavy at full load.

Ironically you're drawing wrong conclusions since if Iran can build T-72S then it doesn't save money as they had to purchase and or develop and manufacture new machines and tooling to be able to do such.

They built/received that infrastructure as part of the T-72 licensing deals with Russia in 1990’s. That infrastructure has long been paid off.

Iran already has as it previously invested in maintaining M60 fleet by producing various spare parts and its components.

There is 200M60 and 2000+ T-72’s in Iranian inventory. So you literally just made a point why Iran should base it’s future tank on T-72 chassis. Nice job Sherlock Holmes

They built/received that infrastructure as part of the T-72 licensing deals with Russia in 1990’s. That infrastructure has long been paid off.

There is 200M60 and 2000+ T-72’s in Iranian inventory. So you literally just made a point why Iran should base it’s future tank on T-72 chassis. Nice job Sherlock Holmes

I was a little bit confused bro.

They're planning on just upgrading some T-72s to a 'Karrar' standard or are they also building these tanks from scratch?

No, I haven't unless you're having trouble with reading comprehension or are just disingenuous as I face such people like you in here on daily basis.

Iran shouldn't have bought entire T-72 production license and infrastructure, only some components of it such as 125mm 2A46M series smoothbore cannon, maybe its fire control system if better than one in Chieftain Mk5 along autoloader then they could have went for something else like maybe license and manufacturing tool to produce turbojet engine such as AL-21F and or at very least Sapfir-25 radar that could provide comparable performance to AN/APQ-120 used on F-4E. Operational capacity of Iranian air force to this very day is not ideal at all.

Iran shouldn't have bought entire T-72 production license and infrastructure, only some components of it such as 125mm 2A46M series smoothbore cannon, maybe its fire control system if better than one in Chieftain Mk5 along autoloader then they could have went for something else like maybe license and manufacturing tool to produce turbojet engine such as AL-21F and or at very least Sapfir-25 radar that could provide comparable performance to AN/APQ-120 used on F-4E. Operational capacity of Iranian air force to this very day is not ideal at all.

First of all they came as kits that Iran assembled. So it seems you are a bit clueless on the whole process. Then you start jumping topics and rambling that Iran should have gotten license for AL-21F or an airborne radar, completely different topic altogether and ignorantly ignoring the history of Russian-Iranian arms deals.

You deride the T-72 license deal even though it gave Iran much more ToT then the puppet deals like M60 or Chieftain ever gave Iran. But since the West sold those to Iran, of course you praise them.

Also the T-72 is literally the most successful export tank in the world and a T-90 variant would wipe the floor with a next gen M60 based tank.

But continue your uneducated ramblings. Don’t forget to take your meds in the morning.
I was a little bit confused bro.

They're planning on just upgrading some T-72s to a 'Karrar' standard or are they also building these tanks from scratch?

They say both, I’m skeptical.

In 10 years even the Karrar design will begin showing signs of age. And just recently their jammer based trophy protection system passed trails. Still no kinetic based protection system.

As I have said before, mechanized armour is the least of Iran’s worries. Only country capable of placing tanks on Iranian soil is Americans and the chance of that happening outside of a regional war scenario is next to nil.

So Iran can continue doing these test bed projects until it actually needs a viable tank design. For now the budget doesn’t support a large tank acquisition or upgrade plan. Rather that money go to the Navy honestly.

Last edited:
First of all they came as kits that Iran assembled. So it seems you are a bit clueless on the whole process. Then you start jumping topics and rambling that Iran should have gotten license for AL-21F or an airborne radar, completely different topic altogether and ignorantly ignoring the history of Russian-Iranian arms deals.
Russia in 1990s was in shambles and desperate for currency and ways to pay off its debt hence for example Slovenia got a nuclear reactor, South Korea various military hardware.

You deride the T-72 license deal even though it gave Iran much more ToT then the puppet deals like M60 or Chieftain ever gave Iran.
I do not care about pre-Revolution Iran and it is about what Iran achieved in restoring operational capability of military hardware during and after Iran-Iraq War.

Iran did not need another set of road wheels and tracks of lower weight carrying capacity along to complicate logistics further.

But since the West sold those to Iran, of course you praise them.
Where did I praise them you bloody liar...

Also the T-72 is literally the most successful export tank in the world and a T-90 variant would wipe the floor with a next gen M60 based tank.
Success of export on matter of quantity doesn't necessarily equate to quality or longevity.

Mig-21 is most successful export jet with most potent Bis model being designed and produced from 1970s to 1980s...

It made sense to get license production of T-72 by end of 1970s such as Yugoslavia did, by end of 1980s such was outdone by M1A1 and basic Leopard 2 was a match. T-72 was developed as substitute for T-64 that entered service nearly a decade before T-72 while T-90 is further development of T-72 hence has autoloader with more limitations than T-80.

Iran could have made own T-72 on basis of having T-72M1 to study and design comparable tank with parts and technologies that Iran had even in 1990s.

Also Iran sent one or more examples of T-72M1 to North Korea that produced 2A20 115mm smoothbore cannon that is direct predecessor to 2A46 that is 2A20 upscale with some differences. Hence I wonder if really Russia provided tools for production of 2A46 or if Iran managed to acquire production of such prior from North Korea.

But continue your uneducated ramblings. Don’t forget to take your meds in the morning.
Very ironic coming from you that asserts I said something I didn't and yet I am uneducated apparently.

When was the last time Iranian F-4 Phantom II fired a radar guided AIM-7 Sparrow missile?

Anyway Zolfigar would allow single piece munition that is more efficient than two piece hence less need for exotic solutions to increase performance of APFSDS as longer rod is possible.

1640391879157.png

1640391992404.png

The improvement of individual equipment is definitely quite surprising to me. In the Ima videos posted, it's clear the Fateh gun is being pumped out in numbers, and standardized, including a new AT launcher, and machine gun.
I am a simple man, I do not ask much. They finally listened to us and are always wearing their helmets, and have standardized their equipment 😁. Some of you may not think it's that great but this is quite new and refreshing to see. Maybe Pakpour is watching this forum haha. Still more work to be done, but it's getting better.

View attachment 803285
View attachment 803288

The improvement of individual equipment is definitely quite surprising to me. In the Ima videos posted, it's clear the Fateh gun is being pumped out in numbers, and standardized, including a new AT launcher, and machine gun.
I am a simple man, I do not ask much. They finally listened to us and are always wearing their helmets, and have standardized their equipment 😁. Some of you may not think it's that great but this is quite new and refreshing to see. Maybe Pakpour is watching this forum haha. Still more work to be done, but it's getting better.
Is it really AT launcher or RPO-A?

Back
Top Bottom