What's new

Iranian engineers reveal methods of hacking US drones

If the US knew about the potential fault, then it may be that this drone is a Trojan Horse for something else.
stop over doing it cheng-
the assumption is itself silly-

Would you like to change the color of your post?

But I like red. It is so full of life.

Tulip_red.bmp

this is really irrelevant to discussion, but the USA and Iran have the basis for good ties. . . Iran was probably more than happy to see Saddam get overthrown.....at the time of 2001, Iran had no compunction seeing the taleban regime fall.

for more ideological reasons, the Iranians have never really been sympathetic to global terrorist groups like Al Qaeda.

unless you look at a larger picture, it all seems so ironic.

One thing more, US and Iran had a agreement during Iranian student up rising that Iran will co-operate in Iraq and US will stop support to Iranian students , with in days US media stopped giving coverage to the up rising and students went back to universities.

Now US is helping in up rising of Russians and in problem Putin will open trade route for more products and US will back off in support of people demonstration against elections

If this is true...

Exclusive: Iran hijacked US drone, says Iranian engineer - CSMonitor.com
"The GPS navigation is the weakest point," the Iranian engineer told the Monitor,

"By putting noise [jamming] on the communications, you force the bird into autopilot. This is where the bird loses its brain."

The “spoofing” technique that the Iranians used – which took into account precise landing altitudes, as well as latitudinal and longitudinal data – made the drone “land on its own where we wanted it to, without having to crack the remote-control signals and communications” from the US control center, says the engineer.
Then it matches what I speculated earlier: That the GPS signal, an external correlation method to an internal INS, must be either interfered with or completely severed, prior to any other technique in trying to disable the drone, let alone capture it. It also mean that IF the drone was flying on the Afghan side, then Iran in creating an environmental condition conducive to such confusion by the drone to the point where it can be deceived and entered Iranian airspace, made Iran a thief.

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Nadir Shah? :D Did photos exist during his time? :D
By the way, from what I understand it appears that the Americans have found the vulnerability and soon they'll fix it.
It is not that we 'found' it. We have always knew about it. But this GPS related problem is more complex to resolve than you think.

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Well done Iran - Keep pulling US's pants.
Kinky...I would have thought they would go for looking up women's burquas.

If the US knew about the potential fault, then it may be that this drone is a Trojan Horse for something else.
I doubt it. During Desert Storm, the Iraqis actually jammed our troops' GPS receivers but the fix was quickly found -- and by ordinary soldiers at that -- the helmets. By placing the GPS receiver inside the upturned helmet, each receiver became a directional GPS receiver, the helmet itself is comparable to a 'dish' antenna, its side shielded the receiver from the interference signals. That Iraqi tactic did not last for no more than a day.

it'll only say "add new hardware" if a peripheral device is wired to the machine

and i know those UAVs arent running on bluetooth :D

---------- Post added at 04:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 AM ----------

I doubt it. During Desert Storm, the Iraqis actually jammed our troops' GPS receivers but the fix was quickly found -- and by ordinary soldiers at that -- the helmets. By placing the GPS receiver inside the upturned helmet, each receiver became a directional GPS receiver, the helmet itself is comparable to a 'dish' antenna, its side shielded the receiver from the interference signals. That Iraqi tactic did not last for no more than a day.

interresting.....where did u read this

Hence the the use of "If" and "may". :D

I believe this isn't a good news for Iran. If the vulnerability is known to the Americans, then they'll try their best to fix it and that means we can't exchange it with the Chinese or the Russians for their technologies that we want.

How much secure product you make ... Hackers gonna crack it.

Take example of this incident. As per the Iranian scientist they 1st broke the communication of Drone from base station using noise.

Now you should understand here base station and Drone are communication over secure channel called as encrypted tunnel using Hashing and encryption algorithms.

Once your link goes down and secure tunnel breaks both the endpoint (Drone and base station) try to re-transmit encrypted identities to find out each other. Here is the key point. Iran took advantage and spoof there own base station as other peer (America base station) and had secure tunnel.

Once your secure encryption tunnel comes up then its easy to take control of internal mechanism.

In future this kind of hacking is bound to happen unless we come up with new encryption mechanism. However breaking this kind of encrypted channel and spoofing its really not joke and take years of practice and understanding of subject.

Back
Top Bottom