What's new

Iranian Chill Thread

thought that Iran had a shortfall on wheat this year because of droughts ? So now they're going to have enough ?
The statistics from Iran are all bunch of nonsense here anybody pull out some number from its *** and worst part is that they insist their data is the correct one

I thought that Iran had a shortfall on wheat this year because of droughts ? So now they're going to have enough ? I'm a little confused.
Iran is still importing again this year according to Chairmen of Grain Union. So your numbers are off somewhere.

The drought is real...the AG production in Iran seems to be market related more than drought related...remember last year Iran had thousands of apples and potatoes rotting because they could not sell them in the markets ..middlemen buyers are manipulating what to pay to farmers...farmers refuse to plant or sell..mafia style manipulation of AG production...remember rice production in the dry "fars" province..yup...they need lots of work to be done in the AG sector and rationalize what gets planted where and when...remember Iran can feed all middle east and it is not a slogan.

The discrepancy could be because they are building reserves...
The statistics from Iran are all bunch of nonsense here anybody pull out some number from its *** and worst part is that they insist their data is the correct one

The 4 million ton increase in wheat production is a prediction for 2022. And it's from none other than the United Nation's FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization).

The notion that Iran will need to import 7 million tons of wheat in 1401 (March 2022 to March 2023) is also a prediction, issued this time around by the chairman of Iran's Grain Union.

To those suggesting figures published by Iran are systematically baseless, here the UN's figure is much more favorable than the one furnished by someone in Iran.

At any rate let's face it, the Raisi administration is successfully boosting domestic production, and correctly placing the focus on vital and strategic sectors. Whether or not it will suffice to cover domestic wheat consumption I don't know.

Last but not least, even if in the upcoming years Iran's wheat production supercedes domestic consumption once again, this doesn't mean imports will completely stop (although they'll experience a significant drop no doubt). It's like with oil and gas, despite being 100% self-sufficient in both commodities, Iran does import limited quantities thereof in the framework of swap agreements and other deals with neighbors.

_____

w.jpg

From the article shared by aryobarzan.

Last edited:
@SalarHaqq or anyone with knowledge

Do you have any insights on Iran production of fertilizers? I just saw that Qatar is producing more fertilizers than Iran, is it related to exporting sanctions ?

@SalarHaqq or anyone with knowledge

Do you have any insights on Iran production of fertilizers? I just saw that Qatar is producing more fertilizers than Iran, is it related to exporting sanctions ?

I don't know about exact figures but some of the PGCC states are producing quite a lot of petrochemicals (including fertilizers), most of it being destined for export. Saudi is one, and according to what you're saying Qatar is another. But of course Iran's industries and overall economy remain significantly more diversified than theirs.

I don't know about exact figures but some of the PGCC states are producing quite a lot of petrochemicals (including fertilizers), most of it being destined for export. Saudi is one, and according to what you're saying Qatar is another. But of course Iran's industries and overall economy remain significantly more diversified than theirs.
I've read that some fertilizers producers in Germany halted their activities due to Energy costs, can't Iran dump the sector as fuel and Gaz are cheap there?

Russia was being concurrentiel in fertilizers industry due to its cheap energy ressources, was even told by the west to stop dumping the fertilizers industry.

I've read that some fertilizers producers in Germany halted their activities due to Energy costs, can't Iran dump the sector as fuel and Gaz are cheap there?

Russia was being concurrentiel in fertilizers industry due to its cheap energy ressources, was even told by the west to stop dumping the fertilizers industry.

Nabil, do you live in Tunis?

For those who'll choose to go with the World Bank's several ten times smaller GDP figure for Iran over that of the IMF, on grounds that the World Bank one is based on the real exchange rate with the US dollar, and more generally for those who take GDP (especially nominal GDP, but even GDP PPP) as the ultimate indicator of the importance and value of an economy, I'd recommend to pay special attention to the following explanations by French economist Jacques Sapir - everything he says about the Russian economy here applies to Iran as well!

In other terms, Iran's economic power is much, much greater than nominal and even PPP GDP figures would tend to suggest. Since the service sector is vastly overvalued today compared to commodities production, and since Iran's service sector at 53% represents an even smaller share of the overall economy compared to Russia (56,27%) and China (54,50%), versus over 70% in the EU, the actual size of Iran's economy is truly considerable and Iran's share of the world economy is far superior than it seems.

Bottom line, Iran is doing very well on the economic front in fact, it's a real economic powerhouse contrary to the common assumption among Iranians and contrary to the propaganda spewed by Iran's existential enemies i.e. the zio-American empire and its vassals.

https://twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1513005725626220555
https://twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1513005730449682435

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom