What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

Mashreghnews has published a new pic which shows 6 new radar products, with at least three of them being directly related to Bavar-373.

Shiraz Electronic Industries poster showing six new products
2027376_372.jpg

Najm 802 acquisition and engagement radar
2027407_429.jpg

2027394_555.jpg

Meraj 4 long range surveillance radar
2027408_607.jpg

Bavar 373 engagement radar
2027409_788.jpg

2027438_616.jpg

Bavar 373 acquisition and engagement radar
2027410_428.jpg

2027542_361.jpg

I'd like to see that Meraj 4 radar mounted on a Zoljanah truck for better mobility.

zoljanah.jpg

I'm not sure if this would bring a great benefit for the IADS performance. The way a long range system such as the Bavar would work is to have a permanent situational awareness by systems such as the Meraj-4 in S-band and Matla ol Far-3 in VHF band. So in case of threat systems such as these two would emit almost permanently and thus expose their location to advanced passive ELINT systems (even if they have LPI features).

Therefore the enemy will know at least the rough location of this long range early warning systems, hence they need protection of short range systems as well a countermeasures. Emission control is not their task, its the task of the lower tier radar systems of the Bavar. So these lower tier systems which form the separate Bavar batteries will get their early warning information from those higher tier systems wich a number such as 4 Bavar batteries protect in their center. Operating in the periphery of the long range early warning systems unter emission contol these only start to emit if a target has been identified to operate in the engagement range of the batterie, they lock the target and shot their missile and go offline. These systems need great mobility because they get identified by the enemy which is closer to them and might have even the capability to attack them directly in the time they are emitting.

So its these systems, the single batteries that need to shoot and scoot in short time such as 5 minutes to survive in a threat environment. They need off-road capability to set up ambushes and confidently position around their first tier early warning systems which are in a secure and protected center position. Systems such as the Meraj will move too from time to time if another system takes over their surveillance task, but this is only to avoid strikes against weapons such as long range cruise missiles which would need to survive the Bavar batteries in the periphery and anti-PGM SAMs such as Ya-Zahra and CIWS like systems such as the Mesbah.

Hence it might be a wise and more cost effective decision which they made. A robust, advanced and cost effective systems makes a successful system.

Thanks for the photos MTN

I'd like to see that Meraj 4 radar mounted on a Zoljanah truck for better mobility.

zoljanah.jpg

Zoljanah barayeh Ya Ali cruise missiles & or Zolfaghar missile & future versions of them! At least that would make more sense name wise!
I know you know this! but for the others:
Zoljanah was the name of Imam Ali's horse & Zolfaghar was his sword!

im so curious how effectiv this system will be...

Which system????

Zoljanah barayeh Ya Ali cruise missiles & or Zolfaghar missile & future versions of them!
It seems overkill to me.

800px-Fateh-110-new-TEL.jpg

This can already carry 2 missiles, which for a SRBM with a range of up to 700 km is good enough. Any more than that and you will complicate matters since the Fateh/Zolfaghar are not in launch canisters so mounting them on top of each other isn't an option.

The Zoljanah is purpose built for the job. It's too large, expensive and complex to be used in other general context. For that, I think the Zafar is more suited.

I'm not sure if this would bring a great benefit for the IADS performance. The way a long range system such as the Bavar would work is to have a permanent situational awareness by systems such as the Meraj-4 in S-band and Matla ol Far-3 in VHF band. So in case of threat systems such as these two would emit almost permanently and thus expose their location to advanced passive ELINT systems (even if they have LPI features).

Therefore the enemy will know at least the rough location of this long range early warning systems, hence they need protection of short range systems as well a countermeasures. Emission control is not their task, its the task of the lower tier radar systems of the Bavar. So these lower tier systems which form the separate Bavar batteries will get their early warning information from those higher tier systems wich a number such as 4 Bavar batteries protect in their center. Operating in the periphery of the long range early warning systems unter emission contol these only start to emit if a target has been identified to operate in the engagement range of the batterie, they lock the target and shot their missile and go offline. These systems need great mobility because they get identified by the enemy which is closer to them and might have even the capability to attack them directly in the time they are emitting.

So its these systems, the single batteries that need to shoot and scoot in short time such as 5 minutes to survive in a threat environment. They need off-road capability to set up ambushes and confidently position around their first tier early warning systems which are in a secure and protected center position. Systems such as the Meraj will move too from time to time if another system takes over their surveillance task, but this is only to avoid strikes against weapons such as long range cruise missiles which would need to survive the Bavar batteries in the periphery and anti-PGM SAMs such as Ya-Zahra and CIWS like systems such as the Mesbah.

Hence it might be a wise and more cost effective decision which they made. A robust, advanced and cost effective systems makes a successful system.

Thanks for the photos MTN
Very good explanation, thank you!

Then how come the Russian 64N6 and 96L6 have such excellent mobility?

@AmirPatriot

This goes back to Soviet doctrine in my opinion. The 64N6 would not need that degree of off-road capability but the Soviets made that design choice because they had vast state resources (almost unlimited) for such critical programs. Secondary in the Siberan tundra and marchlands of east europe this off-road capability would guarantee that the vehicle would never encounter problems in very wet conditions, get stuck and killed.

Just like containerized missiles are not really worth the cost for Iranian ballistic missiles due to the dry whether conditions in Iran and a hot launch system provides better reliability for the Bavar compared to a cold launch system (at least for Iran which has no 35 year old operational experience with such a system). A off-road design choice for the Bavar early warning radars is apparently considered as not worth the extra resources. It would look fancier, sure but it would not be a sober and wise decision, the fact that Bavars designers choose their own less fancier design choices is a very good sign.

Lets hope B-373 is compareable with the S300 PMU-2 (russian version, not the less capable export version!)

It seems overkill to me.

800px-Fateh-110-new-TEL.jpg

This can already carry 2 missiles, which for a SRBM with a range of up to 700 km is good enough. Any more than that and you will complicate matters since the Fateh/Zolfaghar are not in launch canisters so mounting them on top of each other isn't an option.

The Zoljanah is purpose built for the job. It's too large, expensive and complex to be used in other general context. For that, I think the Zafar is more suited.

Very good explanation, thank you!

Then how come the Russian 64N6 and 96L6 have such excellent mobility?

That's a mockup it's not even a real missile + that's the mockup of the Fatteh-313 class that's shorter than the Zolfaghar class

same here
upload_2017-1-16_12-3-30.png

and here

upload_2017-1-16_12-3-48.png

These are all mockups of the Fatteh-313 not the real Zolfaghar Missile or even a 1:1 mockup of it!

Plus I'm just saying name wise it would make more sense!

You can't bring real solid fueled ballistic missile to these parades even without a live warhead a small accident could cause a massive explosion and you have too many high ranking officials to allow that!
Liquid fueled without a warhead is fine
Solid fueled are built with the fuel inside so you can't use real ones

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-16_12-3-48.png
    upload_2017-1-16_12-3-48.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
all for show ... where was these system in past days !?
at least they could use Messbah 2 System ...

I think someone brand Messbah System as useless , take the budget for his own project ( just stealling the money ) and then decide an slave solder with 30 years old Zu-23 is enough for Tehran ...

this is reality ...

That's a mockup it's not even a real missile + that's the mockup of the Fatteh-313 class that's shorter than the Zolfaghar class

same here
View attachment 368895

and here

View attachment 368896

These are all mockups of the Fatteh-313 not the real Zolfaghar Missile or even a 1:1 mockup of it!

Plus I'm just saying name wise it would make more sense!

You can't bring real solid fueled ballistic missile to these parades even without a live warhead a small accident could cause a massive explosion and you have too many high ranking officials to allow that!
Liquid fueled without a warhead is fine
Solid fueled are built with the fuel inside so you can't use real ones
Maybe, but mounting the launching mechanism on a Zafar 8×8 would make more sense IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom