What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

There has been some discussion about the lack of radar on the Shahid Solemani.
Iranian reporters have reported that the radar will only be installed starting with the 4th ship.
I would be surprised if this is true, what is the reason for omitting radar from the first to the third ship?
My guess:
It is probably the same radar recently installed on the Sahand 74, a new radar that will surely have to finish the tests on board the frigate during exercises at sea, when it is declared OK they will start making those intended also for the Shahid Solemani class catamaran corvettes

My guess:
It is probably the same radar recently installed on the Sahand 74, a new radar that will surely have to finish the tests on board the frigate during exercises at sea, when it is declared OK they will start making those intended also for the Shahid Solemani class catamaran corvettes
@glablo

This is not an official image, but this institute may be connected to officials. You may be seeing a system like this;

1678666045836.png

I hope thy would all have independent radars, but we shall see.

@sahureka2

Look at this little thing in the diagram. Their are small boats around the Catamaran. Which have connecting lines to adjacent ships. It is a strong possibility, these are the fast boat AD boats that was just unveiled a few days ago in this diagram. This diagram is around 5 months old.

This is their proposal to "improve" the ship. Perhaps we will be seeing them operate in teams with one "leader" with a large radar fitted.

Last edited:
@glablo

This is not an official image, but this institute may be connected to officials. You may be seeing a system like this;

View attachment 919972

I hope thy would all have independent radars, but we shall see.

@sahureka2

Look at this little thing in the diagram. Their are small boats around the Catamaran. Which have connecting lines to adjacent ships. It is a strong possibility, these are the fast boat AD boats that was just unveiled a few days ago in this diagram. This diagram is around 5 months old.

This is their proposal to "improve" the ship. Perhaps we will be seeing them operate in teams with one "leader" with a large radar fitted.
Honestly that’s what I was thinking about the new fast attack boat with air defense but I thought if they had dozens of them spread out everywhere they would have a layered defense from the sea with hard to track small boats. But I like the fact can be independently controlled instead of just taking point from a mothership.

There has been some discussion about the lack of radar on the Shahid Solemani.
Iranian reporters have reported that the radar will only be installed starting with the 4th ship.
I would be surprised if this is true, what is the reason for omitting radar from the first to the third ship?

2nd ship will have radar. This was already stated by Iran I’m pretty sure.

I think the first will eventually be re-equipped.

There will be 3 more and the existing ones will hopefully be fitted with VLS retrospectively. After 15 years of working on Mouj frigates they don't have a standard design with standardised radars and weapons and VLS (or even one with VLS in operation yet). Quite a disappointment.

It's not really that complicated: 1500 ton small frigate with Asr and Eagle-Eye radars, VLS with Sayyad-3 and Navab SAM for defensive operations and Paveh/Ya-Ali LACM and Qader / Abu-Mahdi ASCM for offensive operations.

I also forgot to mention Besat 1200 ton sub and the 3000 ton sub project, as well as many other proposals, but given the pace of developments of the IRIN most of these will probably never come to fruition anyway.
no there won't be any , the last ones are in shipyard and being built and this class is test bed not two ship of the class are the same

Shahid Solemani is product of IRGC-N
Mowj is product of Artesh Navy

Artesh is not getting any Shahid Solemani.

Same reason IRGC has S-129 and Navy has Kaman series
who said they get shahid suleymani ship . i said using the experience gained building them . you think how many shipyard we have that can produce military ships ?

and moudge is defence ministry not navy

I'm talking about the white boats . that gun mainly designed to be used as a light antiaircraft gun on land .
i believe by the advance of air launched missiles and radars that let enemy engage and target you from several time the distance of that gun and the fact that it was designed to be used on land not on sea that you are shaking even while you are stationary , retaining it is questionable specially if they want to use non stabilized version of it

Iran captured them by having more number and surround them. if that machine gun was not there it wouldn't made any different , just some AK was enough to make those Americans surrender
by the way that American boat also had such weapons and it was useless for them (i think it had 2-3 of them)
I believe the question is why NOT install a heavy machine gun on a military craft that may need to encounter minor opposition as well.

no there won't be any , the last ones are in shipyard and being built and this class is test bed not two ship of the class are the same
There will obviously be more Mouj class ships added to service in the coming years. I am not sure what exactly is the point of your useless distinction of saying they are currently being built vs not yet in operation.

2nd ship will have radar. This was already stated by Iran I’m pretty sure.

I think the first will eventually be re-equipped.
Yes, like IRIN does usually;
With Jamaran, first equiped with that Plessey radar, later changed to ASR. After some years she received a TACAN antenna, and later a ECM pakistani origin.
You can see similar trend in Sahand, that have been adding different equipments during years, from GPS jammers to new radar for naval guidance of Mersad missiles.
I think we can extrapolate same trend in IRGCN.

There will obviously be more Mouj class ships added to service in the coming years. I am not sure what exactly is the point of your useless distinction of saying they are currently being built vs not yet in operation.

He is right. The last Mowj ships are being built. It’s an outdated 1960’s design.

The new ships of the future (models) have been unveiled by the navy. Wether they actually build them is the real question.

The new ships of the future (models) have been unveiled by the navy. Wether they actually build them is the real question.
Probably they will but with a very slow production rate, and if the IRGC has no interest in these types of large surface ships, then expect slow progress. IRGC will a mass a large & relatively quick Catamaran missile slinger fleet

Super interesting article about the development of Bavar-373, from an unbelievable request on paper, to future potentials:

بُرد باور ۳۷۳ با کمترین هزینه به بیش از ۳۰۰ کیلومتر رسید/ این سامانه موشکی در برخی حوزه‌ها نسبت به S-۴۰۰ برتری دارد - مشرق نیوز

Google translate:

It is a shame that the IRGC can produce the modern Shahid Solemani so quickly while the Navy is still building ships that are behind the curve.
Even if there are budgetary differences, why can't there be more sharing of know how?

Super interesting article about the development of Bavar-373, from an unbelievable request on paper, to future potentials:

بُرد باور ۳۷۳ با کمترین هزینه به بیش از ۳۰۰ کیلومتر رسید/ این سامانه موشکی در برخی حوزه‌ها نسبت به S-۴۰۰ برتری دارد - مشرق نیوز

Google translate:

This article states.
"The Bavar373 is not designed to detect a reconnaissance drone with an RCS of 0.1 m^2 at 300 km."

This means that if the F-35 has an RCS of 0.005 m^2, it would not be detectable at an approach to 150 km.
The F-22 is rumored to have an RCS of 0.0001 m^2, making it undetectable at a range of 53 km.
It seems that a different approach is needed to engage the stealth fighters that the US has in large numbers...

Back
Top Bottom