What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

not just 400 kms he said +400 kms
its 400 kms + depending on positioning but the general range was given around 400km which in some cases might even fall back to 380km
obviously when you put it on top of a mountain it will have great range 400+ km for for sure
an additional issue with radar waves is that you can overkill frequency broadbands and therefore lower the range of radars immensely
from what i understand thou this is a smart system capable to divert the issue mostly but still radar technology cant outrun this issue completely

Last edited:
its 400 kms + depending on positioning but the general range was given around 400km which in some cases might even fall back to 380km
obviously when you put it on top of a mountain it will have great range 400+ km for for sure
an additional issue with radar waves is that you can overkill frequency broadbands and therefore lower the range of radars immensely
from what i understand thou this is a smart system capable to divert the issue mostly but still radar technology cant outrun this issue completely
agreed, but remember no one in there right mind should believe that Iran or any other country in that matter will give us the real range of the missile or there system you want to hit the enemy off guard not to tell them when to release there weapons ( outside the 400 km range of your system ).

Majid and Dezful ( word on street is that Iranian version of Tor M-2 will use coil spring instead of gas to eject the missile which in turn will make it cheaper and less complex for mass production )

1630694037978.jpg

1630694037988.jpg

Last edited:
agreed, but remember no one in there right mind should believe that Iran or any other country in that matter will give us the real range of the missile or there system you want to hit the enemy off guard not to tell then when to release there weapons ( outside the 400 km range of you system ).

Majid and Dezful ( word on street is that Iranian version of Tor M-2 will use coil spring instead of gas to eject the missile which in turn will make it cheaper and less complex for mass production )

View attachment 775354

View attachment 775355

Man, I cant wait too see Dezful, cmon Raisi, do something!

If we compare it to russian TorM2, it has lesser range (TorM2 -> 16km vs 12km)
But again, maybe they are not telling us the real numbers
Would be great if Dezful would be comparable to TorM2

Words are out that Dezful can also engage armored ground targets and can shoot during movement.
The system is fully digital, equipped with very powerful optics and is able to operate in passive mode.

Last edited:

Words are out that Dezful can also engage armored ground targets and can shoot during movement.
The system is fully digital, equipped with very powerful optics and is able to operate in passive mode.

I'm sure they'll show it soon, if anything they will probably show it among other things like Bavar-375, so it'll be an interesting day when it comes out and we can take a look at it ;)

Usually no one says the real numbers for reasons you probably know :)

I'd expect some sort of passive capability because we have seen those 3rd Khordads upgraded with TI optics so I'd expect similar capability employed there.

agreed, but remember no one in there right mind should believe that Iran or any other country in that matter will give us the real range of the missile or there system you want to hit the enemy off guard not to tell then when to release there weapons ( outside the 400 km range of you system ).

View attachment 775354

View attachment 775355
The photo they posted about dezful belongs to a original TOR system not the iranian one.
12km range means they reverse engineered the old missile or developed a new one with that range.
We still need to wait to see the upgrades they did on the radar also. The search radar is outdated.

just a general question for anyone that might know.

Is it possible to guide a SAM with TI optics alone?

For example, if the TI camera observes and tracks a aircraft flying near by, could the SAM be guided via data-link from the optics alone for full passive engagement or does the TELAR still need to illuminate the target at the very last stages of missile flight for a SARH missile to be guided accurately?

I ask because I was curious to see if it is possible to engage targets with fully passive capability without a single bit of radar emission.

just a general question for anyone that might know.

Is it possible to guide a SAM with TI optics alone?

For example, if the TI camera observes and tracks a aircraft flying near by, could the SAM be guided via data-link from the optics alone for full passive engagement or does the TELAR still need to illuminate the target at the very last stages of missile flight for a SARH missile to be guided accurately?

I ask because I was curious to see if it is possible to engage targets with fully passive capability without a single bit of radar emission.
Yes,there are already SAM that use EO/IR guided missiles that dont use any sort of radars,but those are short range systems,many medium range systems also have EO/IR guidance as secondary guidance mostly ment to engage targets at short ranges ,

Yes,there are already SAM that use EO/IR guided missiles that dont use any sort of radars,but those are short range systems,many medium range systems also have EO/IR guidance as secondary guidance mostly ment to engage targets at short ranges ,

Is this the direction that countries would like to go towards in the future? Especially to negate the effects of EW?

Seems that in the medium range category, it is not quite used as a primary method.
It appears to me that continuously improving EO/IR systems would allow for a air defense network to be built that would be difficult for a sophisticated country like the US to build a electronic emissions map of it. It would make sense for a country like Iran who would have to deal with high-grade EW hardware would really need this for point defense, but in medium ranges as well. (3rd Khordad?)

I suppose the curvature of the earth would really limit this in the longer ranges, and this really seems more feasible for a small country like Austria, as apposed to larger countries where more coverage is required.

Is this the direction that countries would like to go towards in the future? Especially to negate the effects of EW?

Seems that in the medium range category, it is not quite used as a primary method.
It appears to me that continuously improving EO/IR systems would allow for a air defense network to be built that would be difficult for a sophisticated country like the US to build a electronic emissions map of it. It would make sense for a country like Iran who would have to deal with high-grade EW hardware would really need this for point defense, but in medium ranges as well. (3rd Khordad?)

I suppose the curvature of the earth would really limit this in the longer ranges, and this really seems more feasible for a small country like Austria, as apposed to larger countries where more coverage is required.

EO/IO can guide an object to a specific area when talking about short distances (less than 15KM), but you will still need the missiles on board computer to locate the enemy for the terminal phase and further away you will need a passive radar to illuminate the target so the missile doesn’t waste to much energy reaching the projected Area.

You have to remember EO/IO shows you where the object is NOW not where it is likely to be. And a fighter jet that is traveling at Mach 1-2 will be in a completely different location in 1 min let alone 3-4 mins. So you need an accurate prediction of where the aircraft is going to be when talking about ranges beyond 50KM.

When the Global Hawk was downed it was the EO/IO data being fed to passive radar station further inside iran who then used that information to refine the target location and send it back to the 3rd Khordad who then fired the missile which upon entering the kill zone turned on its SARH and did a top attack kill of the Global Hawk.

3th khordad has EO/IR already,EO/IR is important addition,since small objects is extremly difficult detect and targe at low atlitude and short ranges, and it gives AD system additional channel to engage more targets at same time...

EO/TI won't give you range without laser range finder or radar.

3rd Khordad won't work with its TI sight alone.
Yes,if intention is to have all passive unit than laser range finder would fit in to SHORAD,while there are some passive radars that can also fit but this would be suitable in as search and acquisition role,for engagement laser range finder is best option. As I remember Iran has Hearz 9 that can work in fuly passive mode,I remeber defense minister mark this as one of most important feature of Hearz 9,in addition to be fuly mobile .Now,also there are IR range finder,that could be integrated in to EO/IR setup ,that would allow air defense system or surveillance kit to work without using laser range finder. But I am not familiar with IR range finders,I know there are different IR range finder devices,proximity and distance based..but I really have no clue how these perform vs laser range finders or did Iran integrated any in EO/IR suites

Last edited:
agreed, but remember no one in there right mind should believe that Iran or any other country in that matter will give us the real range of the missile or there system you want to hit the enemy off guard not to tell them when to release there weapons ( outside the 400 km range of you system ).

View attachment 775354

View attachment 775355

سامانه ی ضد زره "پیروز" منصوب بر خودروی تاکتیکی ارس در حال شلیک موشک دهلاویه

پیروز اولین سامانه ای هست که در داخل کشور اختصاصا برای شکار تانک و ادوات زرهی طراحی و ساخته شده . این سامانه دارای ۴ پرتابگر موشک دهلاویه بعلاوه ی یک سیستم الکترواپتیکی پیشرفته هست .

"Pirooz" anti-armor system assigned to Aras tactical vehicle firing Dehlawieh missile

Pirooz is the first system designed and built in the country specifically for hunting tanks and armored vehicles. This system has 4 Dehlawiyeh missile launchers in addition to an advanced electro-optical system.

E-dYDJwXIAc25Mz

E-dYDJyXEAIAinZ

E-dYDJ4XoAkxPY6

Now,after looking in to similar EO/IR suits available on the market today,now I am sure Iranian EO/IR suits include multiple LRF/IRF,in fact as I can see every comercial night vision,thermal camera include LRF integrated in to lens.
382_382_382_382_354_346_346_product_hd_cooled_thermal_infrared_55km_long_range_mwir_cooled_eo_...png

Back
Top Bottom