What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

Can i ask a question? Are you talking about the Tor M whatevers and Pantsirs that couldnt take out lame binary Turkish Bayrakbat drones??? those drones aint worth THAT much tbh...also, Iran has already made medium and long range air defense systems...thats ALREADY proof Iran has conquered Short AD..no country that can make long er range AD equipments cant make short range AD..thats the easiest! Iran will FRY any aircraft that invade in the short range..thats a fact..there's a reason US is using high altitude aircraft when it strays into Iranian AD network..

Irans debt to repay Israel keeps increasing...

you people talk like ur not Iranians - Iran military doesnt care about new equipment, Iran military cares about EFFECTIVE equipment.
ya-zahra / Herz9 is the only one Iran produced that can be considered short range and as far as I\m aware its a copy of crotale. if you are aware of anything else can you tell us ?

Can i ask a question? Are you talking about the Tor M whatevers and Pantsirs that couldnt take out lame binary Turkish Bayrakbat drones??? those drones aint worth THAT much tbh...also, Iran has already made medium and long range air defense systems...thats ALREADY proof Iran has conquered Short AD..no country that can make long er range AD equipments cant make short range AD..thats the easiest! Iran will FRY any aircraft that invade in the short range..thats a fact..there's a reason US is using high altitude aircraft when it strays into Iranian AD network..
Yes. I am specifically talking about the TOR-M1. Armenians only lost one Tor-M2MK during last years conflict and in Syria Russian, operated TOR-M2s have been quite successful in stopping drone attacks on their Air base in Tartus. Also in Syria Turkey lost quite a few of their Bayrakbat UCAVS once the treat was recognized and better Short range air defense systems (TOR-M2?) were deployed in southern Idlib. Iran has been successful in short range systems like MANPADS and Herz-9/Ya Zahra systems, but the advantage with TOR systems is with its cold Vertical launch system. Not only is it more compact allowing 8 missiles to be launch ready from one platform but the engagement time is greatly reduced because the launcher does not need to travers towards the target before being fired.

Last edited:
ya-zahra / Herz9 is the only one Iran produced that can be considered short range and as far as I\m aware its a copy of crotale. if you are aware of anything else can you tell us ?
I am disappointed that the Navy did not use them on their ships but maybe they are not compact enough to fit on their Vosper/Mouj class Frigates?

I am disappointed that the Navy did not use them on their ships but maybe they are not compact enough to fit on their Vosper/Mouj class Frigates?
to be frank a raad is more compact than something based on Crotale
Yazahra
Ya_Zahra.jpg

Ra'ad
raad_sam.jpg

Yes. I am specifically talking about the TOR-M1. Armenians only lost one Tor-M2MK during last years conflict and in Syria Russian, operated TOR-M2s have been quite successful in stopping drone attacks on their Air base in Tartus. Also in Syria Turkey lost quite a few of their Bayrakbat UCaVS once the treat was recognized and better Short range air defense systems (TOR-M2?) were deployed in southern Idlib. Iran has been successful in short range systems like MANPADS and Herz-9/Ya Zahra systems, but the advantage with TOR systems is with its cold Vertical launch system. Not only is it more compact allowing 8 missiles to be launch ready from one platform but the engagement time is greatly reduced because the launcher does not need to travers towards the target before being fired.
Ok, point duly noted. Good Iran has some Tor M1s at least..

There is the improved rapier....There are 3 versions of Ya Zahra

1- Herz-9
2 - Ya Zahra
3 - Name ?
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...jpg
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...jpg

Yes. I am specifically talking about the TOR-M1. Armenians only lost one Tor-M2MK during last years conflict and in Syria Russian, operated TOR-M2s have been quite successful in stopping drone attacks on their Air base in Tartus. Also in Syria Turkey lost quite a few of their Bayrakbat UCAVS once the treat was recognized and better Short range air defense systems (TOR-M2?) were deployed in southern Idlib. Iran has been successful in short range systems like MANPADS and Herz-9/Ya Zahra systems, but the advantage with TOR systems is with its cold Vertical launch system. Not only is it more compact allowing 8 missiles to be launch ready from one platform but the engagement time is greatly reduced because the launcher does not need to travers towards the target before being fired.

It’s also great for shooting down civilian airliners apparently.

TOR-M1 is a joke. One suicide drone and it’s crew is barbecued alive.

This is the inside of a Iranian TOR-M1

1618122759846.jpeg

1980’s technology

This is TOR-M2DT
1618122735177.jpeg

And cold launch makes zero difference for mission capability. That is like saying S-300 is better because cold launch than Bavar-373 which is hot launch. Absurd argument.

And Russia TOR-M1 air defense systems fire 2 missile per target for better interception, so engages 4 targets and the crew has to reload and are entirely vulnerable. See Israeli suicide drone strikes on Pantsir and Tor-M1 when reloading.

View attachment 733030

1980’s technology

This is TOR-M2DT
View attachment 733029

And cold launch makes zero difference for mission capability. That is like saying S-300 is better because cold launch than Bavar-373 which is hot launch. Absurd argument.

And Russia TOR-M1 air defense systems fire 2 missile per target for better interception, so engages 4 targets and the crew has to reload and are entirely vulnerable. See Israeli suicide drone strikes on Pantsir and Tor-M1 when reloading.
:blink:

Should we be surprised that Iran's TOR-M1 is out dated compared to Russian TOR-M2DT?
Do you think that if and when Iran shows the fire control system for its domestic TOR system it will look identical to the TOR-M1?

So you wanna pick on the fact that TOR-M1 is cold launched and ignore everything else I said?

Last edited:
Perhaps a 6 cell version of Mersad-16 would be a better option?View attachment 732979
Mersad-16 or Kamin-2 is a full blown system if you put it on a mowdge class system then you must somehow put all these on the ship
1594242546534133-0.png

that means at least 2 truck of equipment one the missiles (each erector launcher can have up to 6 missile and you need at least one) and one truck for ADS-M2
if you manage to integrate ADS-M2 with current ship systems you can replace the current two coffin type Standard missile launcher with 6 of these and each Shalamcheh-2 missile can engage target up to 45km away . to be honest I say its good export product , for ourselves we must work on 3rd-khordad , 15-Khordad and Bavar-373

Mersad-16 or Kamin-2 is a full blown system if you put it on a mowdge class system then you must somehow put all these on the ship
1594242546534133-0.png

that means at least 2 truck of equipment one the missiles (each erector launcher can have up to 6 missile and you need at least one) and one truck for ADS-M2
if you manage to integrate ADS-M2 with current ship systems you can replace the current two coffin type Standard missile launcher with 6 of these and each Shalamcheh-2 missile can engage target up to 45km away . to be honest I say its good export product , for ourselves we must work on 3rd-khordad , 15-Khordad and Bavar-373

I am sure that the fire control system onboard mouj that can guide the Standard SM-1s/Merhab can also handle the Mersad-16. so the only thing would be the launcher fitted where those terrible coffin launchers are currently located with the ability to traverse at least 180 degrees. honestly the only reason I think Mersad-16 would make sense over 3rd Khordad is that it is in a sealed canaster launcher and it is smaller than both the 3rd-khordad and 15-khordad systems. Heck even Mersad-16 erector launcher might very well be too large for Iran's current fleet of frigates.

View attachment 733030

1980’s technology

This is TOR-M2DT
View attachment 733029

well ,thats only aesthetic , you can't say the second one is certainly more capable just because of the LCD instead of Tube monitors .
an Iranian Tor-M1
dsc3388.jpg

Russian Tor-M1
ZRK-Tor-M1-4S.jpg

you can see they are some small difference
I am sure that the fire control system onboard mouj that can guide the Standard SM-1s/Merhab can also handle the Mersad-16. so the only thing would be the launcher fitted where those terrible coffin launchers are currently located with the ability to traverse at least 180 degrees. honestly the only reason I think Mersad-16 would make sense over 3rd Khordad is that it is in a sealed canaster launcher and it is smaller than both the 3rd-khordad and 15-khordad systems. Heck even Mersad-16 erector launcher might very well be too large for Iran's current fleet of frigates.
well , the Mersad-16 don't use Sayyad missiles , if it was the case then yes but it use Shalamcheh-2 . its wlikw what iran did in Fakour , we get a MIM-23 and mixed it with technology from AIM-54 and get a missile which is neither MIM-23 nor AIM-54 . shalamcheh-2 is also a MIM-23 in this case Shalamche missile mixed with technology from Standard Missile . if we want to use mersad-16 on Mowdge we must replace all the radars that control Mehrab and then put new Radars that can talk with Mersad-16 there , I don't think it worth doing on current ships maybe if somebody decide to do that in future ships but if you want to do it why not stright go to something that use more capable Taer and Sayyad missiles ?

Last edited:
well ,thats only aesthetic , you can't say the second one is certainly more capable just because of the LCD instead of Tube monitors .
an Iranian Tor-M1
dsc3388.jpg

Russian Tor-M1
ZRK-Tor-M1-4S.jpg

you can see they are some small difference

well , the Mersad-16 don't use Sayyad missiles , if it was the case then yes but it use Shalamcheh-2 . its wlikw what iran did in Fakour , we get a MIM-23 and mixed it with technology from AIM-54 and get a missile which is neither MIM-23 nor AIM-54 . shalamcheh-2 is also a MIM-23 in this case Shalamche missile mixed with technology from Standard Missile . if we want to use mersad-16 on Mowdge we must replace all the radars that control Mehrab and then put new Radars that can talk with Mersad-16 there , I don't think it worth doing on current ships maybe if somebody decide to do that in future ships but if you want to do it why not stright go to something that use more capable Taer and Sayyad missiles ?

Taer and Sayyad would be physically too large in my opinion otherwise they are superior to Mersad-16.

Taer and Sayyad would be physically too large in my opinion otherwise they are superior to Mersad-16.
not exactly Taer is probably 5.5m long with wingspan of less than 1m with a weight of around 700kg an standard missile depend of variant is 5-8m long and wingspan of 1-1.5m with a weight of around 500-700kg

Back
Top Bottom