What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

@Sina-1
Iran has never shown any OTH radar up until now. Very long wavelenght VHF radars yes, HF band radars yes, but no OTH radar.

1*WJof9bIguRRo3Q-AQwN01w.jpeg

Ghadir is OTH Radar no? Unveiled back in 2014

@PeeD could you outline why it needs to be near coast because of clearance? I have basic understanding but isn’t the whole point with OTH-B that the signals bounce on the ionosphere?

@PeeD could you outline why it needs to be near coast because of clearance? I have basic understanding but isn’t the whole point with OTH-B that the signals bounce on the ionosphere?

OTH-B use ionospheric backscatter yes, but OTH-SW uses surface wave and the more even the surface is, the better. That's why they are only used at coasts.

OTH-B use ionospheric backscatter yes, but OTH-SW uses surface wave and the more even the surface is, the better. That's why they are only used at coasts.
What about earth curvature? Does it follow the curve?

Iran first OTH-SW radar under construction ( the location is already been compromised thats why we are sharing it with everyone here )

EPcE3P4WkAMtfBa

Well I figured through SIGNIT intelligence or U2 spy plane could use radiation methods to find its location or follow the strength of the radar wave.

OTH and long range early warning radars are pretty hard to “hide”.

This might explain why so many US recon planes fly as close to Iranian coast as possible.

It is good to give the enemy his first target and these radars are likely to be their first target. But they still give you the warning before their destruction. And this early warning is their job and they will still do their job though the enemy target them first.

Any idea how long the antenna is?
~1 KM wide and about ~10 M long i think.

Well I figured through SIGNIT intelligence or U2 spy plane could use radiation methods to find its location or follow the strength of the radar wave.

This might explain why so many US recon planes fly as close to Iranian coast as possible.

that is correct if there were only one OTH radars but they are many radars in Iran and if U-2 is found by one of them then that radar will give this radar the location and this OTH-SW can zoom in and find the U-2

what do you think the rage is for it? 2000-3000 KM?

It is good to give the enemy his first target and these radars are likely to be their first target. But they still give you the warning before their destruction. And this early warning is their job and they will still do their job though the enemy target them first.
Surely they would be protected like any other military sites & facilities ...

Surely they would be protected like any other military sites & facilities ...

They are likely under Bavar-373 and S-300 envelope for double protection as well as stand alone system (Short and mid range systems).

But in a swarm radiation and cruises missile attack it will be hard to protect it. All it takes is one missile to get through and the damage will be enough to take it offline.

So if US launches 100 low flying cruise missiles at the OTH due to being high value target, hard to see any system being able to intercept/jam 100% of the objects.

Being on the coast means the reaction time is even less versus other long range radars that are deeper in Iran.

Without skyguard or future Oghab around it, it is vulnerable to cruise missiles especially the stealth profile ones.

Back
Top Bottom