What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

The S-300 that Iran got is heavily upgraded and designed to Iran’s specifications and is probably closer in capability to S-400 than S-300 as Russia stopped production in S-300 a few years ago.

While Iran could talk with Russia for S-400 or maybe even S-500 future delivery. I doubt the Russians can be counted on to deliver. Just look at how long it is taking Turkey and Saudi Arabia to recieve S-400.

Good points.

When is the S-300 supposed to be delivered?

Lol why should Iran spent money for buy new S-400 while Iran could upgrade their S-300PMU-2 to S-400 with Russian request,S-400 is just a development of S-300PMU-2'

exactly, S-400 is "just" S-300 PMU-3 (better radars....)

Afaik Iran technologically surpassed S-300 PMU-2, so for Iran only S-500 would make sense to purchase, if necessary, but I doubt Iran will go for it, instead they will pump the money in its own R&D

Anyway, short and medium AD systems are more important, I hope we will see Irans breakthrough in this fields:

Raad-Family (3rd Kordad, Tabas....)
Talash-Family (Sayyad....)
Mersad
Herz-9
Ya Zahra

It was delivered back in late 2016,only 9 years late,altho by russian standards this was actually a quick delivery[lol!]

I think one battery of these needs to be installed in the T4 airbase to protect Iranian interests in the Homs region of Syria. That should change Israeli calculations quite a bit ;)

I think one battery of these needs to be installed in the T4 airbase to protect Iranian interests in the Homs region of Syria. That should change Israeli calculations quite a bit ;)

T4 Airbase is what -250km from Israeli Territory????????? Iran could transfer it's S-300's + Raad + Talash & Sayyad-3 there and it still wouldn't matter!!!!!!!!!! The Israeli's would still have the advantage and would be able to overwhelm them without putting lives at risk using relatively lower cost ground and air launched missiles.....

Unless Iran puts a retaliatory capability that would attack sites from where these attacks originate Iran would clearly be at a large disadvantage so Iran would also need to install a networked radar capability that covers all of Syria & Israel and SAM capability and a willingness to hit Israeli Aircraft inside Israeli territory and attack launch sites and Airbases inside Israeli territory where these attacks originate from!!!!!!

And that's if the Israeli's stand by and let you not only transport and unload them but also install them!!!!

Just as Iran would have the advantage if Israeli's started installing weapons systems 250km from Iranian territory the Israeli's clearly have the advantage over Iran in Syria today

Please don't confuse Ya-Zahra with Herz-9
Ya-Zahra is a towed system with 4 missile while Herz-9 is a self propelled system with only 2 missile .
Again I'm not confusing anything...you are,that image is hearz9 ,snap shot from unveling ceremony...here you can see that same 4 countainers luncher behind hearz9.
I know very well what I,m talking about...also when you look these lunchers on trucks from behind you can see squre placeholders used to attach two more containers just like it is designed on sayyad containers...you can find images of original FM -80/90 with 2 containers also but it doesn't mean you can't attach 2 more containers...every Air defense system battery is design so it represent hardware/software limits...there is reason why BUK battery has 4 tels...it is how many can be controled by one FCS...also same goes for S-300...and every other system.
These shorad systems in Iran are mostly linked with automated AAA and controled by central unit and sometimes you will use two tels with 4 comtaimers...sometimes 4 with two...it depends of the terrain...and many other things..but max number of missiles you can control are what limits ad system...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-16-21-17-32.png
    Screenshot_2018-07-16-21-17-32.png
    540.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Again I'm not confusing anything...you are,that image is hearz9 ,snap shot from unveling ceremony...here you can see that same 4 countainers luncher behind hearz9.
I know very well what I,m talking about...also when you look these lunchers on trucks from behind you can see squre placeholders used to attach two more containers just like it is designed on sayyad containers...you can find images of original FM -80/90 with 2 containers also but it doesn't mean you can't attach 2 more containers...every Air defense system battery is design so it represent hardware/software limits...there is reason why BUK battery has 4 tels...it is how many can be controled by one FCS...also same goes for S-300...and every other system.
These shorad systems in Iran are mostly linked with automated AAA and controled by central unit and sometimes you will use two tels with 4 comtaimers...sometimes 4 with two...it depends of the terrain...and many other things..but max number of missiles you can control are what limits ad system...
I'm looking at the Herz-9 from your photo and only see two place holder . by the way maybe it will help you to see what's in the background
Shahab_Tagheb_Thaqeb_FM-80_short_range_air_defence_missile_system_Iran_Iranian_army_defence_industry_military_technology_640.jpg

you think they build them in different facilities ?

I'm looking at the Herz-9 from your photo and only see two place holder . by the way maybe it will help you to see what's in the background
Shahab_Tagheb_Thaqeb_FM-80_short_range_air_defence_missile_system_Iran_Iranian_army_defence_industry_military_technology_640.jpg

you think they build them in different facilities ?
I show you two images of herz9 luncher with 4 containers ...images I myself take snap shots from official heaz9 delivery ceremony...I'm telling you third time....you can have only one container on luncher if you want...or two or three or four...I sow FM-80 with only one container on military drils but it doesn't mean it carry one missile.Also you are looking from wrong perspective...one TEL is not air defense system...you can have one TEL with 2 containers and one or more with 4 containers in same air defense unit(battery).How it will be.handled depend from many factors...for example weight...because one TEL in battery can include more equipment than rest than it can carry less containers...or simple they want add redundancy or been able to lumch from different angle ...only thing what is important is ... How many can track and engage simultaneously...how many missiles can control....And I don't think that one battery will include more than one luncher on truck...it would be,waste of resources to put every luncher on such big truck since there is no need for such big truck for fm-80/90 kind system when one jeep can carry it and provide even better mobility just like orginal fm80/90.I think truck variant is probably control unit and rest lunchers will be towed or something smaller.

I show you two images of herz9 luncher with 4 containers ...images I myself take snap shots from official heaz9 delivery ceremony...I'm telling you third time....you can have only one container on luncher if you want...or two or three or four...I sow FM-80 with only one container on military drils but it doesn't mean it carry one missile.Also you are looking from wrong perspective...one TEL is not air defense system...you can have one TEL with 2 containers and one or more with 4 containers in same air defense unit(battery).How it will be.handled depend from many factors...for example weight...because one TEL in battery can include more equipment than rest than it can carry less containers...or simple they want add redundancy or been able to lumch from different angle ...only thing what is important is ... How many can track and engage simultaneously...how many missiles can control....And I don't think that one battery will include more than one luncher on truck...it would be,waste of resources to put every luncher on such big truck since there is no need for such big truck for fm-80/90 kind system when one jeep can carry it and provide even better mobility just like orginal fm80/90.I think truck variant is probably control unit and rest lunchers will be towed or something smaller.
You don't show herz-9 picture with 4 missile .
You show it with 2 missile and a 4 missile launcher in background that I believe belong to ya Zahra .
If you show us Herz-9 with 4 missile it'd be appreciated.

Salam everyone.

Any news on bavar 373? Also, what's the difference between hot/cold launches of missiles?

It was delivered back in late 2016,only 9 years late,altho by russian standards this was actually a quick delivery[lol!]
And even that was only after UNSC sanctions were lifted and Iran threatened to sue Russia for $4 billion.

Salam everyone.

Any news on bavar 373? Also, what's the difference between hot/cold launches of missiles?

Hot launch - the missile engine ignites within the launch canister and missile is propelled outward by the exhaust.

Cold launch - the missile is ejected out of the launcher using a gas, then the engine ignites outside of the launch canister and missile takes flight.

Bavar is hot launch system
S-300 is cold launch system

@PeeD I've been thinking - don't you think Sayyad-2 has an odd position right now? Sayyad-3 has a much improved range, and seems to be able to fit on the same size TELs. Is there any reason for a Talash battery to be equipped with Sayyad-2s, other than possibly cost (if there is even an appreciable difference)?

To me, Sayyad-2 seems redundant.

@AmirPatriot

Sayyad-2 is a mid range system optimized for lower altitudes than Sayyad-3.

So if the interception takes place within 70km and the target in a maneuverable one you better take the Sayyad-2 to have a higher (kinetic) Pk. Of course you also have lower costs when using Sayyad-2 --> lower rated equipment such as batteries and INS.

So the Sayyad-2 has its firm place in the mix and I expect it to fill that role in the future Bavar-373 battery too.
A valid question would rather be why Sayyad-2 and Taer-2 are built as both fill about the same role. There to could be sane reasons such as the higher ABM capability of one of the two.

@PeeD I've been thinking - don't you think Sayyad-2 has an odd position right now? Sayyad-3 has a much improved range, and seems to be able to fit on the same size TELs. Is there any reason for a Talash battery to be equipped with Sayyad-2s, other than possibly cost (if there is even an appreciable difference)?

To me, Sayyad-2 seems redundant.

you mean Sayyad 2 is obsolete compare to Sayyad 3 and other sams?

Back
Top Bottom