What's new

Iran to Purchase Sukhoi-30 Fighter Jets From Russia

Daneshmand

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Iran to Purchase Sukhoi-30 Fighter Jets From Russia - ABC News

Iran's Defense Minister says his country will sign a contract with Russia for the purchase of Sukhoi-30 fighter jets.

In comments published Wednesday, Gen. Hossein Dehghan did not specify how many fighter planes Iran will buy, or give a timeline for the signing of the deal.

He says that under the agreement Iran would also be involved in the production of the aircraft.

Russia has already started delivering S-300 air defense missile systems to Iran. The advanced defensive weapons system deal was frozen in 2010 due to U.N sanctions.

Iran's air force still heavily depends on domestically modified versions of long-outdated warplanes, including former Soviet MiGs and American F14A Tomcats from the 1970s.

I hope the agreement is similar to Indian agreement with Russia for co-production of the planes and not like the Su-30 agreement Venezuela had done with Russia, wherein just a few planes are bought from originating country with no transfer of technology.

man you all are trolling the hell out of us now.

can't blame you. we got a parasite known as Israel sucking the blood out of us so I guess we deserve it

surprise you all didn't get get Su-27/30s sooner

Good choice but why not Su 35?

Well, no detail is out there yet. From my perspective, I see both as a single platform. Though clearly Su-35 is more superior because of integration of newer technologies but they are not separate platforms. What I am interested in though, is if Iran is getting a technology transfer for in-house production or if this is just a simple purchase with maybe 5% co-production.

At any rate, Iran will have to partner either with Russia or China for a fifth generation fighter plane, since that is where the future is. Su-27 platform (including its Su-30 and 35 off-shoots) is already looking outdated and in a few years time when more countries will have 5th generation fighters the Su-27 platform will be a relic and an antique in the sky.

A transfer of technology for Su-30 with an in-house manufacturing capability will make it easier for Iran to adopt 5th generation manufacturing capability down the line, specially if Iran chooses to go for T-50.

man you all are trolling the hell out of us now.

can't blame you. we got a parasite known as Israel sucking the blood out of us so I guess we deserve it

surprise you all didn't get get Su-27/30s sooner

Even now it is not for sure. And at any rate, Iran is not getting anything right now, since sanctions are still in force for importation of offensive military hardware and will remain in force a few more years. That is why it will be more beneficial for Iran to ask Russia to start setting up a generic Sukhoi factory in Iran, but with no planes manufactured till the sanctions come off. Such a manufacturing facility, testing it and operationalizing it, would take years and this can happen during this sanction time. Russia gets paid, Iran gets the technology, the international law gets respected and every body goes home happy. :-)

I think Iran should seriously start studying the agreements India and China have done with Russia in military aviation and learn from it. As a crash course.

I hope the agreement is similar to Indian agreement with Russia for co-production of the planes and not like the Su-30 agreement Venezuela had done with Russia, wherein just a few planes are bought from originating country with no transfer of technology.

If true! This is fantastic!

All the latest Su-30's have a few Indian parts (designed and built).
The odds are that Iranian Su-30 will have some Indian designed parts. The Malaysian and Indonesian Su-30's have a few Indian parts as well.

Secondly, this can also be a kick starter for defense relations(training, exercises) between India and Iran. Just like how India has extensive defense relations with Indonesia and Malaysia for training and exercises that started when these countries acquired the Su-30.

Good choice but why not Su 35?

its more expensive , and USA and Arabs and Israel will put more pressure on Russia about Su-35 ( because it is more advanced than most of their 4th gen fighters ) ....
and we can upgrade 30 to su 35 later ...

from our experience , we don't need super maneuverability ( 3d vector thrust engines ) , we just need an strong radar with reliable missiles to hunt down other fighters ...

If true! This is fantastic!

The odds are that Iranian Su-30 will have some Indian designed parts. The Malaysian and Indonesian Su-30's have a few Indian parts as well.

Secondly, this can also be a kick starter for defense relations(training, exercises) between India and Iran. Just like how India has extensive defense relations with Indonesia and Malaysia for training and exercises that started when these countries acquired the Su-30.

I would rather prefer if Iran learns from India and rather builds the planes under license with ToT as India is doing. There are a million jobless Iranian engineers sitting around twiddling their thumbs, and Iran should not import anything without some sort of ToT, whether fighter planes or cars and trucks.

Just yesterday my source told me Iran would be getting one batch of Mig35s, and 2 more later .
I think he mixed up.
Iranian members it could very well be Su35 not Su30.

I would rather prefer if Iran learns from India and rather builds the planes under license with ToT as India is doing. There are a million jobless Iranian engineers sitting around twiddling their thumbs, and Iran should not import anything without some sort of ToT, whether fighter planes or cars and trucks.

Also make sure you talk about the spares, with the Russians very strictly . That would help in long run. Also best of luck and congratulations.

If iran is going for su30 then its most likely to go for T 50 as future 5th gen plane as assembly lines are easier to upgrade

That should be the hope. By the way it is a good plane with its "sharky looks":

Just yesterday my source told me Iran would be getting one batch of Mig35s, and 2 more later .
I think he mixed up.
Iranian members it could very well be Su35 not Su30.

Also make sure you talk about the spares, with the Russians very strictly . That would help in long run. Also best of luck and congratulations.

Well, no one knows yet. No detail is out there. But Mig-35 is not as good as Su-35. There is simply no comparison. Su-35 has a class of its own among the fourth generation fighters.

Yes, that should be the goal. However ToT makes sense when the numbers are large. For a squadron or two worth, it won't make economic sense. Because to setup the production lines also should be economically viable and costs spread out over a larger number of air frames.

That said, if Iran goes for complete ToT, then the ToT for the Indian designed parts will also be transferred to Iran. Our main work came when Su-30 back in late 1990's/early 2000's was a plane with good physical handling but lacked in Electronics and Avionics. We changed it massively by integrating European and Israeli Tech in the plane into what came to be the Su-30MKI.

The difference was so dramatic that after that the customers(like Indonesia and Malaysia) wanted similar planes - so Russia modeled its newer variant by 'Russianizing' all the European and Israeli tech. We also designed some parts ourselves that bettered the original equipment. Like the Mission Computer.

In any case, Iran should definitely go for tech transfer. It would enhance the tech base in Iran. :tup:

its more expensive , and USA and Arabs and Israel will put more pressure on Russia about Su-35 ( because it is more advanced than most of their 4th gen fighters ) ....
and we can upgrade 30 to su 35 later ...

from our experience , we don't need super maneuverability ( 3d vector thrust engines ) , we just need an strong radar with reliable missiles to hunt down other fighters ...
you cant do that, so not dreaming about it please.

If true! This isthestic!

Well we did help them with their Kilos, so a relation is already their, and Iran is our gateway to Afghanistan and Central Asia , so good bilateral relations will prevail. I am sure our side will be ready to cooperate with Iran on Su30s, if they need ( they are very capable , so I doubt they will need it ).

Well, no one knows yet. No detail is out there. But Mig-35 is not as good as Su-35. There is simply no comparison. Su-35 has a class of its own among the fourth generation fighters.

Yes it remains to be seen. But it looks like the first purchase will be a small batch, 8-12 aircrafts.
Also be ready for something Armour front. The person hinted at that.

you cant do that, so not dreaming about it please.
@Chevil@Daneshmand
We have partnered with Sukhoi to come out with a specification called 'Super Sukhoi' for the Su-30. Its an upgrade.

Sir, its a very expensive upgrade but it will exceed the capability of Su-35 variants on offer to the world by Russia right now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom